Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: fishing alone.
From Monessen, PA
Lou, I stopped fishing alone deep in woods after reading of a few tragedies. I had been out with my son when he was young and deep in the woods and thought what a terrible thing if I ran into trouble and had to have him try to rescue me or otherwise.

Take a friend if you can or stay close to safety if you have any health or safety concerns. Glad to hear from you.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:40

From Mont Co, Pa
Lou, I'm glad to see you posting, I'm hoping that means you're feeling better!

As far as fishing alone goes, I much prefer it. I enjoy the complete solitude. I love fishing water that I know hasn't been disturbed and won't be disturbed until I disturb it. Selfish, I guess.
When camping and fishing though, I prefer having company. Again, selfish. lol

Posted on: 2013/7/10 17:01

From Sweet Valley
I love fishing alone, its the only real solitude I get as I work in the public sector. I usually try not to keep track of fish when I am fishing with a friend because I am not out there to 'out do' somebody else. I like having competitions with people just not in the fishing realm. I am a very selfish fisherman but I do force myself to give up the best spots to who ever I am fishing with as I get out 3-4 times a week religiously. Now if you fish more than me, or are just better at it... I won't let you get any nice holes. You can fish in my dust haha

Posted on: 2013/7/10 18:37

From Newville, PA
More beer for me.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:13

From lebanon, pa
when i fish with somebody, i'm usually more interested in watching them fish than fishing myself.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:25

From Ohio
I'm in the same boat as pretty much everyone else. Whenever I'm fishing with other people it's usually more relaxed and we're less serious about the catching. Fishing with my brother is an exception though as the competition can get pretty heated haha. Now WHO catches more fish when I'm fishing with others? Usually depends on the water and who's more familiar with it, but most of the time I have home field advantage ;)

Yeah, when I fish by myself I have the ability to stretch the truth, but I honestly do catch more fish. Like everyone else I concentrate more on the fishing when I'm alone.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 20:30

From PA and NH
It has little to do with your mindset when you catch more fish alone,
one person flailing around will spook fewer fish than groups fishing together. I do enjoy a burger and a beverage with my pals after it gets dark but stay the hell away from me when I'm on the water. I fish with an old timer up in New Hampshire, he turns 79 I think this year, and that man still fishes hard and fishes alone even when we go out together. Some of youse might know Dave Baker.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 21:00

From Pgh
Fishing alone is a two edge sword.

I love fishing remote areas for brookies as well as bigger waters. To me, being alone in beautiful surroundings is beyond addicting. It's the closest to God I feel outside of church. However, like others have said, if you run into trouble a couple miles up a remote valley, you could be screwed. And now that I am older, I realize if something does happen, I probably wont make it out. Still, I do it.

That being said, some of the best times I've had fishing are the times I've shared with other fishermen. Unfortunately, my personal life is so fickle I can rarely schedule fishing with others. There have been many times I've gone with and met with PAFF board members. And there has NEVER been a time I regretted it.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 23:08

From Pittsburgh
I usually fish on weekdays - and many times, I have to go alone - or not go at all.
I choose to go alone - have been doing it for quite awhile now. I've never lived my life being afraid to do something I really enjoy, because something bad might happen.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 0:01

From Somerset P.A.
everyones thoughts are pretty much the same as i had. I usually fish alone because most of my buddies dont like to go deep in the woods where i like to go. I dont ever think about the "what if", but im only 25 im sure that will change with age. The thing that gets me when fishing with someone else is, if they have a different rig than what im using i will rethink what im doing and spend more time messing around with gear than actually fishing.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 6:46

From Chester County
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
I usually fish on weekdays - and many times, I have to go alone - or not go at all.
I choose to go alone - have been doing it for quite awhile now. I've never lived my life being afraid to do something I really enjoy, because something bad might happen.

Agree with DFG. Be careful, tell someone where and when you will be back. Like rrt wrote in another thread - when you talk to your wife, add an hour or two so you will return "early" or even stay a little later without much strife. Also, take your fully charged cell phone, have a first-aid kit in you vehicle, etc.....but most of all, enjoy your day of solitude out on the stream.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 6:53

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Agree with most of the above posts. If I’m fishing with someone it’s much less about the number of fish caught and more about enjoying time with a friends (or friends). I’ll admit there are times I want to be alone for a few hours though…after a tough week at work, etc. I do enjoy the peace and solitude of a walk in the woods, fishing a stream at times. When I’m by myself it’s still not usually about the fishing though…I like to explore new streams and areas and see what’s there. The fish are just a piece in the greater picture of spending a day outdoors and away from things.

There are some (usually steep, rugged, and remote) streams that I won’t do by myself, period. You can get hurt anywhere at any time, and that shouldn’t (and doesn’t) stop us from doing what we do, but on those types of streams if something does go wrong and you’re by yourself, the problem becomes magnified much more so than on a stream in a populated area. I usually try to save these types of outings each year to do with a fishing buddy I wouldn’t get to see much otherwise…prefer to take off of work during the week and make a day out of it…breakfast, hike/bike/float/fish, wings/beers afterward.

To answer the OP question though…yes, I think I catch more fish when fishing by myself. I think this is largely just a function of splitting the water and potential fish with your partner(s) though. I often fish with anglers who are better technical anglers and casters than me…if you total the number of fish we caught as a group in a given day when sharing the water, this is often actually more fish than I would have caught fishing the same water in the same conditions by myself. One guy in the group may have a trick cast up his sleeve for a certain tough to get to spot that the others couldn’t pull off…in the next hole another guy might know a technique that will work, etc.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 9:57

From LV
Quote:

somersetian wrote:
The thing that gets me when fishing with someone else is, if they have a different rig than what im using i will rethink what im doing and spend more time messing around with gear than actually fishing.

Not me, if I'm catching fish I'm doing something right.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:57

From Greenville PA
i fish alone all the time since im the only one out of my friends thats 100% dedicated to the fly rod....i love it...complete freedom

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:46

From Johnstown, PA
i still fish alone , did all year since the Jam . I probly shouldn't but we all gotta go sometime , i only had 2 monumental falls , that ain't bad. Is it?

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:46

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com