fishing alone.

S

somersetian

Does anyone else notice that when fishing by yourself you catch more fish? I realized recently that every time I go out solo I always catch more fish. Any thoughts as to why?

Less competition, greater freedom to move about and pick your spots, less activity on shore or in the water. Also, no one there to keep you honest in your count :cool:

You’re focused on catching fish, not distracted by chit chatting with buddies.

I enjoy fishing with other people when I can. But one benefit of going solo, is usually more fish.
Every fish that rises is mine to target.
Or, when fishing small wild trout streams - every pool is mine to have at

maybe one person vs two people (with same ability as the one guy) fishing the same stream section, same gear, same day would catch more fish... less time coordinating who fishes which pool, etc. dunno I never really focus too much on maxing number fish caught... I try to think "footing before fishing" meaning in tough places to hike or wade I'll risk spooking fish to reduce the chances of taking a spill...

When I fish with someone else, I am usually teaching/watching them so I'm not concentrating on what I'm doing. I catch more fish when I'm alone.

+1 to what everyone else has said so far. I've noticed i don't catch as much with someone else either. I'm a fairly competitive person and i've noticed that i can get so caught up in trying to outfish the other person, that i become overly aggressive, approach pools with less caution, become less observant, and fish much faster. Now that i'm aware of it i try to do my best to curtail the bad habits.

Fish like me and only me.

+1 on Icyguides post. Your whole mentality changes. I have done some competition fishing up at Lake Nox. My boat placed 9th out of 22 boats on one Bass event only because I slowed down and gave the presentation that the fish wanted.

Now the question that needs an answer is: When you fish with someone else do they catch more fish than you?

I always make sure my fishing partners catch more fish than me because I don't want them to feel bad-- just ask them.

I've noticed this too. But then again I never use explosives in groups larger than one.

Also, when you fish alone: When you get home, you can lie about how many fish you caught and how big they were, and no one can contradict you.

Marriage hint: If you plan to get home at 9:00, tell your wife you'll be home at 10:30 or later. If you get home when you expect, then you're a hero. If you get home when you tell her, you're not in trouble.

While I don't count fish, I should, I seem to always catch more fish when fishing alone, then when fishing with someone. The down side is that if I have a fall there's no one there to help if I can't get up. On most streams falling isn't an issue, but yesterday it was, I went for a swim 3 times, the rocks were extremely slippery, and there were boulders from bucket size to bigger then a half ton pick-up. All of them slippery as snot.
I still fish alone a lot, but not as much as I used to and some of the places I fish I choose to fish with someone else along with me.

I think it's the "sharing water" idea. When I fished a small wild trout stream last week, I knew that I was giving up a chance at a fish in every spot they fished....some of these areas only give you one shot at a riser...

Read my post, I was alone .and if I had not left the creek when I did, and called 911 they never would have located me in time. and you would be reading about my funeral instead. In the future I will be near other people or go with someone.

Lou, I stopped fishing alone deep in woods after reading of a few tragedies. I had been out with my son when he was young and deep in the woods and thought what a terrible thing if I ran into trouble and had to have him try to rescue me or otherwise.

Take a friend if you can or stay close to safety if you have any health or safety concerns. Glad to hear from you.

Lou, I'm glad to see you posting, I'm hoping that means you're feeling better!

As far as fishing alone goes, I much prefer it. I enjoy the complete solitude. I love fishing water that I know hasn't been disturbed and won't be disturbed until I disturb it. Selfish, I guess.
When camping and fishing though, I prefer having company. Again, selfish. lol

I love fishing alone, its the only real solitude I get as I work in the public sector. I usually try not to keep track of fish when I am fishing with a friend because I am not out there to 'out do' somebody else. I like having competitions with people just not in the fishing realm. I am a very selfish fisherman but I do force myself to give up the best spots to who ever I am fishing with as I get out 3-4 times a week religiously. Now if you fish more than me, or are just better at it... I won't let you get any nice holes. You can fish in my dust haha

More beer for me.

when i fish with somebody, i'm usually more interested in watching them fish than fishing myself.

Back