blood knot issues

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've had issues on several occasions tying my blood knots. Same problem but in two different areas. When the 2 ends are of different diameters. For instence, i tied on some new floating line the other day and i tried for probably 20 min to tie my backing to the floating line. Just seems like the different diameters and different materials didn't meld just right and I couldnt get the floating line to pull just right to make the knot. Same thing with my leaders. When my leader gets cut down a bit (i prob just need a new leader but i'm cheap) my tippet is then hard to attach. Any suggestions?

For your leaders, i'd get some different diameters of line and try to re taper it. It's not a good idea to tie your standard tippet directly to a thick leader piece.

A good knot for tying different diameters of line together is the albright knot.

I would not try to use a blood knot to attach backing to Fly line nor fly line to leader-- I use the nail knot for both these connections.

As jayL mentioned, you can also use the Albright knot. It is considered best when dealing with big drops in diameter, but, you don't want to be doing that within the actual leader anyway, as mentioned earlier by jayL.

In attaching leader sections, the bloodknot is a good knot for connections, but when you are down to the final tippet, it is unneccesary and a double surgeons knot will work just as well and is a half dozen times easier.

Animations For Various Fishing Knots

I like to use the constriction knot between the backing and flyline and a Gray's loop (using a short piece of backing) to connect to the leader. Knot Descriptions

Both of these knots are similar to the nail knot that JackM suggested.

Thanks for all the help. As long as I've been fishing (not very long) the knot tying has been the hardest thing for me to pick up. Tying flies... sure i'm getting the hang of it. Whip finishing them.. yeah still not great at it. And anything besides a clinch knot i'm horrible at... guess I just have to work at it. Anyways, thanks for the help, hopefully this snow will let up so I can go knock the dust off of my rod!

Ryan

ryguyfi,

Use your favorite search engine to find "nail-less nail knot". Also, a Duncan loop will do in a pinch.

beeber

The latest "Fly Fisherman" has some ideas for hemostat knots. Check out the blood knot there... I'm gonna give it a try.

Here's a great site for knots:
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Back