Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: What do you eat while your are on the water?

Capt. Matt- FYI I graduated from Riverview High, Sarasota in 1988. Fished for tarpon in high school in Boca Grande and some other old railroad bridge down that way too. I remeber when my brother and I were having some beers kicking back on that old railroad bridge when something huge hit my brothers line and the whole rod with no hesitation flipped over the rail and did not slow once it hit the water either! I always wondered what that fish was. Luckly we had several rods going!

J- Chinese ummm. I am partial to garlic chicken.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 17:50

From South West FL
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Capt. Matt- FYI I graduated from Riverview High, Sarasota in 1988. Fished for tarpon in high school in Boca Grande and some other old railroad bridge down that way too. I remeber when my brother and I were having some beers kicking back on that old railroad bridge when something huge hit my brothers line and the whole rod with no hesitation flipped over the rail and did not slow once it hit the water either! I always wondered what that fish was. Luckly we had several rods going!

J- Chinese ummm. I am partial to garlic chicken.

I have a buddy who just had that happen under the 41 bridge! Thats funny until it hapens to you! The pass is still a war zone your not missing anything. Last month I watched 2 bull sharks maul, and i mean MAUL, a tarpon. It was pretty graphic. Do you ever miss it down here?

Posted on: 2007/9/7 12:34

Nah,not really until the end of each January. I grew up in Pittsburgh till 14 then moved to FLA. I got put on a waiting list at FSU and UF after Riverview HS, I got accepted at ST. Vincent in Latrobe (pronounced Laytrobe by the way) PA and ended up graduating from there '92. I did attend UF in the fall of 1989. Attended some good Grateful Dead shows while there and got see Emmett Smith play against FSU and the girls. Dont forget the girls. There were 7 girls from UF in Playboy the year I was there. Did I mention the girls!!! Good reason while I only lasted a semester there. My parents have a place down there still and I have two brothers in Florida so I get back a couple times a year.

Alot of wackos in Florida. I always think that if someone gets into trouble in their life or with the law they all run to Florida. Not to mention as you know that it is expensive and the wages are low. But you can not beat the weather from December to April.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 14:13

From South West FL
I grew up in South Western PA and have lived here a little more than 2 years now. Its okay and I enjoy guiding but Im ready to come back. I've caught all these hard chargers on the fly and I still miss trout. go figure. Def a lot of whacko’s and New Yorkers and bad drivers and expensive houses and bad pay and illegal immigrants...............

Posted on: 2007/9/7 14:21

I hear ya. Al least there are lots of people from SW Pennslyvania there and finding a Steeler bar is easy.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 14:33

CaptMatt,

I am one of those immigrants that went to a private school in Florida. Then I moved here to Texas and went to St. Edwards University here in Austin, Graduated with a Double Major In Business Administration and Psychology. Now I am a Real Estate Developer and Investor here in Texas. The next thing you will say is that youe are a native and that illegal immigrants are taking you guiding jobs as well?

Just a comment

Mario

Posted on: 2007/9/8 13:06

From Bozeman
Mario,

The key word is "illegal". With all due respect, I honestly think that trying to convince people to accept ILLEGAL immigration is going to be a tough sell. I know many legal immigrants and I would consider them friends. I also have some friends that may or may not be legal. I never asked them. I do know that if you follow the rules, pay your taxes, and live within the same system as the so called "natives" that you will be accepted and respected by any reasonable, level-headed person.

I don't know what your story really is, and I don't know if you were "legal" or not. Regardless of that, you are clearly contributing to what makes America great and that's to be commended.

My commentary.

-Jay

Posted on: 2007/9/8 15:10

From Philadelphia
I take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat on the ride to the stream along with a thermos of coffee. For the day, it's some sort of granola bar or trail mix and water. I fish 4 or 5 hours at a time now (the day's are long gone when my back and legs would allow me to fish a 12 hour day. And I sit and watch a lot as well. When I'm done I usually look for hamburger stand.

I ran across a guy once who was taking his lunch break. I kid you not, he had a camp fire going and skillet and was sauting steak and peppers. I figured he was on an alogether different fishing track from me.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 7:05

Guest_
Coughlin Wrote "I ran across a guy once who was taking his lunch break. I kid you not, he had a camp fire going and skillet and was sauting steak and peppers. I figured he was on an alogether different fishing track from me".
Geesh!! And, he DIDN'T offer to "share with you"!?! How utterly; "L.L.Beanish" of the low cur!
So many times, when Pontooning the rivers of Idaho, Montana and even in Oregon, we'll put into a small "beach" to take a break, a look, or to work a pool, before floating through it. And, I cannot count the times that Bishop and I have come across one of the "guided trips", breaking for the "midday repast"......................
"Folding tables, checkered table clothes, wine on ice, (BEER is obviously to "gauche"!!??) portable GAS, BBQs, wine GLASSES- (not low-life wine PLASTICS,), folding nylon chairs.....(with, folding footstools as we saw on one such set up!), and, naturally, the wonderful aroma of sizzling T-bones and Rib Eyes!
We've pretty much been sure, when running across one of these "lunch camps", that somewhere in that mess, there just had to be "baked potatoes" and "tossed, green salads", but we leave right away, since they never invite US to stay and join the fun!
Our "classic camp" that we still love to remember, was on the upper stretches of the Bitterroot one late August........ this camp had all of the above listed, "necessities", of course!! But, as we oared into shore, we about dropped our rods, (and our jaws), when we spotted a "towel wrapped lovely".......emerging wet hair and all, from a portable, solar heated, folding SHOWER the lunch camp had set up!
No, it wasn't a "camp", for staying in......... no tents, no other signs of time spent there for more than lunch. In fact, the two yellow rafts caught up to us, about two hours later and drifted on past us!!
I, suppose, when you pay what some of these people pay..... for a day on the water, you have to expect more than "granola bars and Pepsi!?!

Posted on: 2007/9/9 12:49

I have gained a nugget! I am going to make PBJ. I can't tell you last time I had one. I guess I am partial to Sheetz. MTO's and snacks. I bet I hit Sheetz 90% of time before or after fishing. Paul

Posted on: 2007/9/10 9:21

From Bozeman
I guess I never grew outta the PBJ. I still eat a few of them a week. They go real well with a black and tan. For fishing, I usually do without the J part though. It makes the bread soggy. Instead, I'll just eat a plain peanut butter sandwich, or I'll bring a banana and put pieces of that on the sandwich before I eat it.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 9:43

I get what you are saying Jay. But the point(s) that I was trying to make is that, the last time I looked this was not a political or immigration forum. The point Capt Matt’s was trying to put across did not need that comment. And that is a problem when people that are in the service industry making those types of comments when He/They clearly live of just that, providing a service, especially in Florida where there are a lot of immigrants legal or not that may need is services.

Also, I have an issue with people that forget that they are immigrants or a product of, themselves and become so self-riches to the point where the condemn that which they are. That is where my comment of “Native” comes into play.

Let me give you a brief history of me. I am Mexican and Italian. On my fathers side I am Arab mixed with Spanish and then in the new world mixed with Mexican Indian. My mother is 2nd generation Mexican Italian. I was born in Monterrey N.L. Mexico. But I am both a US, Mexican and Italian, Mexican by birth, US citizen by parent (my dad is also a US citizen), I am also an Italian by right of parent on my mother’s side.

Growing up here and there I noticed many things and I have also learned not to be biased and more important not to me a hypocrite with my beliefs, opinions and or views of my self or others. I have seen the “Americentric”, (my word), way of seeing things.

Examples. Song, “I am Proud to be an American”, Presidents use "God bless America!" And people in general use I am an American.
The last time I checked the Geography books there are three continents that are the Americas, North, Central and South America. If I am from any one of those continents I am still an American. But yet US Citizens take ownership of the word, category or definition and make it as yours.

Any way I have gone on and on but the bottom line is, THIS IS A FISHING FORUM and I if I want to discuss politics and or any other subject I will go to forums or places where that goes on. Capt. Matt, nothing against you, and I am not putting words in your mouth. He was not discussing politics. Again, it was just an unnecessary comment and I am plainly making a few points, in reference to the comment itself.

See it or not my way.

Lets just stick to fishing talk! Tight lines!

Mario

My words are not to offend anyone but merely to convey a philosophy of life.
Respect to those who give it and not to those who believe they deserve it.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 12:25

From Bozeman
I agree with some of your sentiments. I don't forget that I'm a descendant of immigrants. I'm very proud of my Italian and German heritage.

You are right though. Let's keep it at fishing.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 13:06

From Lewistown
All I take is Lance's peanut butter and cheese crackers with water and the occassional chewy bar.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 15:28

From Dauphin, PA
If it's going to be a long day away from civilization I will put a couple of hot dogs in my thermos and fill it with boiling water before I leave the house, pack a few rolls, some ketchup (or catsup) packets and a bottle of water in the back of my vest. On the way to the stream I'll enjoy a cup of coffee and a snack then eat the hot dogs around lunchtime (or whenever I get hungry enough). This will keep me going well into the late evening. If it's going to be a short outing then I will just take a pack of crackers to hold me over.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 13:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com