Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wet fly vs. soft hackel
From Monessen, PA
Once again, the fly anglers give trout too much credit. Traditional wet flies look like food to trout often enough. They do not know the difference between a minnow and a nymph, let alone a winged-wet and a softhackle. It's all food, or not food, depending upon their present level of stupidity.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 7:02

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
Jack wrote: “….It's all food, or not food, depending upon their present level of stupidity.”

Jack’s right about that. No one knows why trout (or any fish) chooses to hit a certain fly or a certain presentation at any given time. It’s really a mystery why the same hares ear fly I fished the other day with great success can’t buy a fish, and yet the prince nymph I tie on slays them today. Only the fish know, well they’re so stupid according to Jack, that I guess they don’t know why either.

I believe that fish sometimes get locked into feeding on certain things at certain times, like during a hatch, and shun other things. On other days they will hit anything that looks or acts like food, we all have had those days too. That’s one of the mysteries of FF for trout, and that’s what keeps me coming back to the stream to try again.

Pete wrote: “Change to a dun near bottom but with wings tight against the body so they can streamline to surface.lol”

Pete,

While I can’t say I have witnessed it, since I don’t scuba dive in trout streams, I find it very plausible that certain mayflies transform into duns below the surface as entomologists suggest. Haven’t you ever seen mayfly nymph shucks stuck to rocks at the bottom of the stream? I’ve seen thousands of them in my rock turning forays. As to what the trout think your fly represents, no one can answer that except with the general answer of something good to eat. I can tell you with certainty that caddis swim to the surface to hatch. Put a soft hackle on during a caddis hatch, let it swing in the current, and hang on!

I started fly fishing as a teen in the early to mid seventies. At the time, nymph fishing was just getting popular, yet wet fly fishing was still a common tactic. Of course there was no Internet, so to learn about FF, I read books that I got from the library. Most of the books were written in the 50’s & 60’s. The flies and methods described were mostly wet fly tactics, so that’s what I used – and I caught fish! I graduated to nymph fishing a little later on, but a few years ago I remembered how I used to catch fish with wet flies. I tried them again, and low and behold – I caught fish! I now include wet fly fishing in my repertoire of tactics. On certain days, in certain conditions, wet fly fishing is THE way to catch fish. Also, I find it a very easy and relaxing way to fish when I burn myself out trying to nymph.

One thing to add: Recently I made a trip to the Delaware during the Hendrickson hatch. The hatch was heavy but fish were rising only here and there because the water was being pounded by anglers with nymphs, dries, cripples, and emergers everywhere around me. I didn’t see many fish caught. I grew tired of alternating between nymphing and trying to cover rising fish 80’ out in the current, so I found a little riff, tied on a gang of wets, including a Hendrickson wet that has been in my box for more years than I can remember – guess what happened?!?

Posted on: 2008/6/30 8:34

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
... tied on a gang of wets... – guess what happened?!?

You got a lot of snags?

Posted on: 2008/6/30 9:11

-- Leo Tolstoy

I have been having fun with this-sorry it died out.
What I meant was the paired feathered wings as used on old style wets would be impossible for an insect to have under water-of course some mayflies unshuck their wings under water but they are flat until they pop the surface.Unless they used them as water wings-that stunk-okay-lol
Hate to think I agree with the Barrister but yeah-impressionistic-something alive-those plastic/rubber nymphs didn't work well.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 13:44

quote]
JackM wrote:
Once again, the fly anglers give trout too much credit. Traditional wet flies look like food to trout often enough. They do not know the difference between a minnow and a nymph, let alone a winged-wet and a softhackle. It's all food, or not food, depending upon their present level of stupidity.[/quote]

Jack fish have feelings too, or don't they?

Posted on: 2008/7/9 1:14

From Monessen, PA
They might, but I am pretty sure they can't read internet message boards. Their computers would short out underwater.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 9:02

-- Leo Tolstoy

Wet flies include:

A) Winged wets

B) Wingless wets

Wingless wets are sometimes called soft hackles. There isn't any distinction between a wingless wet and a soft hackle. They are the same thing.

Wingless wets aren't a modern innovation. Both winged and wingless wets go WAY back. They preceded dry flies BTW, by centuries.

The term "soft hackle" is fairly modern. But the flies described by that name are ancient.

The flies didn't change. Just the name.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 22:56

From Northumberland, PA
Hey,
Wet flys are just that, any artificial fly fished subsurface. We all know those days when were fising drys, only to snag a fish on the retrieve before casting, you know pulling a wake and all!!!!!!!!

But how about this, ever grease a flymph or a soft hackle? It ruins it for life but WOW, we've used this on rising fish with great results. Like allways tho, its not the"secret weapoon", just another shot in the dark that sometimes works.

I was a confirmed wet guy back in the 70's till I started reading, then I found out I had been doing everything wrong and should use drys more!!!!!!!!!!

Now I back, thank god, back to catching lost and larger, using wet/nymphs 90% of the time. I've only fished dry this summer once. Just haven't seen the need.

Also, when fishing underneath, I tipically use 2 or more, depending on the water I'm in. Rigs of three still produce well, just like they did in the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!

Like everyone else, I learn something new each time I'm out!

Good fishin,
Scott

Posted on: 2008/9/26 11:38

Alright too many posts to read through. I thought a wet fly had feather wings and a soft hackle had just what they said was soft hackle spun around the body. I thought wet flies moved more like streamers and soft hackle were more like nymphs but without the weight with the spun hackle simmulating legs.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 22:44

From Dallastown, PA
Wet, see Troutberts message. I believe he has it right. Even streamers and nymphs are really wetflys. The differientation comes when marketing them or better describing their specific use or immitation.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 22:56

Thanks! I almost think I've got it but have heard allot of people refer to soft hackle as wet flies without wings. Then again a maribou streamer seems like a soft hackle a bit to me. I guess I just think of a fluffy fly with that soft poofy action as opposed to a fly that darts and cuts through the water. Sorry guys, about my description. I'm using the girl side of my brain.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:40

From aliquippa
wet fly or soft hackel whatever you want to call them i fish them alot they work

Posted on: 2008/12/9 21:32

From Pgh
I have run into situations where a wing does make a difference. This past summer on the Yough I remember fishing a decent caddis hatch on top when it started to rain too hard to fish dries so I tied on a pair of soft hackle with the same body coloration, cinnamon, thinking the rain had probably punched a bunch of insects into the water. After coming up empty for awhile I tried a winged, rusty-bodied wet and started to roll fish right away. I believe the wing did make a difference. That has happened quite a few times for me over the years.

Posted on: 2009/1/10 13:22

Convince me that soft hackle have wings. OK. I'm being stubborn now. Soft hackle doesn't have wings that is a wet fly. A soft hackle fly is a wet fly as well but "HAS SOFT HACKLE". No wings. That is my own personal distinguishment. "Soft" No wings as in stiff feathers only hackle. I'm on a mission now. I believe soft hackle flies should be forever described as underwater flies with no stiff feathers, only dubbing and hackle. "Soft Hackle". Wet flies are all under water flies. So how do we describe wet flies with feathers? Winged Wet Fly Wonders? OMG. How will I ever distinguish streamers with and without feathers, pheasant tail or jungle cock. Now I need a category for streamers with or without feathers! Crap! And Darn Worms!!!!! I can't keep the lid on that one!

Does anyone else yearn for spring?

Posted on: 2009/1/13 22:19

From Lititz/Huntingdon
This is a great thread. The nearest thing I've ever had in my fly boxes to a wet fly is a slew of soft hackel flys that were on an old fishing hat my dad bought at a yard sale for me. He dosn't fish. I had read about wet flys and how they were fished and the first time I tied one on and it hit the water I instantly thought to myself"wet fly". I have taken my nippers to a few of them and also some epoxy to thin them out, to stream line them a little. In all their forms and mods I have caught fish with them. Even if they are not a true wet fly, I enjoy fishing them. Again, great thread.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 20:12

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com