Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: UP OR DOWN??

From Greensburg, PA
I prefer to fish upstream but it is usually completely dependent on where I park in relation to the section I would like to fish. Sometimes I fish up and then back down...

Posted on: 2010/11/25 18:17

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
WC Stewart said something to the effect of: to fish upstream in a heavy water is an unneccesary labor, to fish downstream in water which is low and clear is to invite ridicule and failure. I generally follow Stewart in this matter.

In almost any condition of water, the tail of a pool is a fine place to find fish, however it can be difficult to cast a fly to the tail from below; it is usually swept away quickly by the current breaking over the lip and into the riffle below. I often fish the tail from well above, casting slightly down and across the pool, letting the fly swing around and across the tail to dangle directly below. If he hasn't taken it on the swing, I let it hang in the current directly below me for a solid minute. If he's there he has seen it and is curious and suspicious of it; the waiting period lets him get over his fear. I then twitch the tip of my rod very gently a few times and begin a very slow hand twist retrieve. Rainbows can't resist this, but it also works well with browns. I beieve I learned this technique from reading Ray Bergman.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 8:56

From Johnstown, PA
jdaddy is right but i'll add that it depends on the individual pool or riffle or run not the whole stream but each individual lie , but you are right daddio.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 15:45

From LV
The only time I fish dries downstream is if I can't get to the fish any other way. The one caveat to that is if I've been working upstream and a large fish starts rising downstream of me. Then all bets are off.
I've actaully had success standing directly over a fish and dropping my fly into the water at my feet and caught trout. It doesn't happen often but it does work.

Posted on: 2010/12/15 21:54

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
which ever way works for any fly, upstream or down i use what works..

Posted on: 2010/12/16 7:40

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
The only time I fish dries downstream is if I can't get to the fish any other way.

I'll amend that and say only if I think its advantageous. Chaz, you're a brookie guy like me. Especially in flatter, rhododendron choked streams, you can get to them from below, but you gotta get pretty close to them to do so and put yourself in danger of spooking them. Sometimes, from above, you can just feed line WAY out. It works.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:50

On larger waters, find it easier to fish downstream. Drifting with the current and the cast is down before it reaches it's target and your not fishing right over the fish. Understand the blind spot deal though.

Also, I find it easier to walk or move downstream with the current as opposed to against it, especially if the banks are tough to navigate out of the water. Not an always or never.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 17:11

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com