Trout behavior

J

jvo2711

Why do trout flip over in the water and show their white bellies?

If you mean along the bottom of the stream they are feeding on nymphs. This is commonly known as "flashing"

Maurice

maurice is correct. i belive the rub thier noses and bodies on the streambed. this kicks up small rocks,silt,leaves or what ever is on the streambed. thus kicking up nymphs.

The same reason I turn my head sideways when I'm inhaling a cheese steak!

Well, kinda. I always figured the nymphs were close to the bottom and the fish was really getting down low to get to them.

what u kick up meat to find nymphs? :-D
it might be that the nymphs are already exposed. im not sure, i just going off of what i have heard. i maybe misinformed.

sal, I'm sure they scrounge the bottom like that to dig em up. I've seen sharks and rays do it on tv, so I don't see why trout wouldn't. I just know from my bait fishing days that they will turn sideways to pick food off the bottom in the same way I turn sideways to fit the damn cheesesteak in my mouth without ruining my shirt by spilling the delectible contents.

Great question about “grubbing” trout. I searched and came up with this answer. Interesting

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Gary/DynamicsNymph/DynamicsNymph2.html

'Grubbing is either a vacuuming or a rooting action. The fish holds at a downward slant, snout pressed into the rocks or vegetation. During vacuuming the trout flares its gills, pulling in water and insects, and then squeezes out the water. During rooting it actually scrapes nymphs off the rocks or eats them along with bits of vegetation.

"During rooting it actually scrapes nymphs off the rocks . . ."

Either way its head is down in the still water and its tail is up in the faster water, forcing it to constantly struggle to keep this position. The turning body causes the flashes of gold or silver, reflections the fisherman can see, that identify this form of feeding.

cool man! i learned something today. that was the best explaination i have ever heard for this action! (and for eating cheesesteaks!):-D

Note to self:

If Jay asks you to join him for a cheesesteak, go to a restaurant where no one knows you. :-D

Don't worry about it jack. I only go to get them around 2 AM anyway, so hopefully none of the people you know (assuming their sanity) are awake.

Seriously though, the only time I really make a mess is when I'm singing the eagles fight song while eating them. :-D

Back