Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 (2)


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2008/12/16 10:37
Posts: 1247
Offline
Then shop around for something like a Cabela's LST 9' 4wt. They should come down close to $100 within the next 2 months. They did last year anyhow.

Try to find something in your price range with a lifetime warranty it's well worth it.

FWIW I fished last years tricos with a number 20 fly on 6x (occassionally 7x) and did just fine.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 19:03
_________________
Hot and Dangerous if your one of us then roll with us.............


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2010/6/19 16:43
From Clinton County, Pa.
Posts: 1840
Offline
I use mainly two rods, a St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2 weight and an older Sage DS2 8'6" 3 weight. I use size 24 flies and 7x tippet. Works fine for me. Casting distance is short. Presentation is more important than distance.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 9:11
_________________
"Even the thousandth trip to the same familiar stream begins with renewed hope and unfailing faith." ZANE GREY


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2011/5/26 10:12
From Dauphin PA
Posts: 2766
Offline
Anyone else on here that doesn't own any 7x? Never felt the need to use it.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 12:17
_________________
"Excelling at making people angry since 1967"


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2008/12/29 13:34
From Lehigh Valley
Posts: 670
Offline
Own? Yes I own 7x --think i even have a spool of 8x that Rod pushed on me years ago when i first moved to the area and met him.

Use? I do use 7x rarely with tricos. But that's my limit.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 12:24


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2009/10/15 13:45
From Eastern PA
Posts: 10301
Offline
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Anyone else on here that doesn't own any 7x? Never felt the need to use it.


Nice bump. Doing a little archive reading? LOL.

I have some Stroft 7x just cause I wanted to see what all the buzz was about. Not sure that I ever used it. Used the 6x Stroft and its really nice stuff. Too bad the ebay vendor that was selling it doesn't have it listed anymore. The 100m spools were a deal.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 16:54


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11462
Offline

It took me three years to use up the first spool, I bought a replacement and I expect it to go longer than three years.

6x, on the other hand, I use. Usually to attach an unweighted dropper wet.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 17:50
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2006/10/2 10:08
From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Posts: 3781
Offline
I owned a spool of 7X, but have since thrown it away. I can fish tricos on 6X and I only do that one or two mornings a year (long drive for me).

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:16
_________________
Resized Image
Only one constant in the universe, all men are equal in the eyes of the fish.
-GulfGreyhound paraphrasing Herbert Hoover


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2006/9/11 12:42
Posts: 514
Offline
No 7x in my arsenal for many years (probably 15 or so). I use 6x for tricos, but I don't fish that hatch much anymore, and when I do, I don't seem to catch as many fish. Could be leader-shy fish, could be bad drift/presentation, could be less fish to catch. I'm ok with that though because with 6x I have a 50/50 chance of retrieving a fly that landed in the brush. 7x? Snap it off every time

peace- tony c.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 0:27
_________________
Time is an illusion. Luchtime doubly so.


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2010/9/1 13:55
From State College PA
Posts: 500
Offline
"I see many people going out and buying a bunch of low to medium end rods so at the end of the day the person has spent $800- $1000 on the rods alone and owns 4-5 decent rods but not one of them is an exceptional fishing rod. And because each rod is different the person never masters casting one rod because more than likely they are an assortment of lengths and actions. "

Greenweenie is spot on! I was waiting for someone to mention this. Beginners and intermediate FF (many of whom get advice from this forum) pay close attention to the last sentence.

A 700.00 rod (BTW a great rod, the z-axis is being discounted about 30% right now) is not appropriate for a beginner, but once you made the commitment, don't be cheap if you can afford it. There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish

Posted on: 2011/6/28 8:03


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2008/1/31 17:19
From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Posts: 13701
Offline
Greenweenie and nymphing,

Depends on the variety of fishing you do. You say that a "good" rod will handle 95% of the fishing, I totally disagree, for me anyway, YMMV. Such an argument sounds like the mark of someone who pretty much fishes the same type of water all of the time. I do a lot of different types of fishing.

In PA, the standard all round rod is a 9 ft 5 wt. That is because it is perfect for many of our streams, and managable on others. But I don't care if you have the world's best 9 ft 5 wt, it is going to get outclassed by a shorter $100 dollar rod in a jump across, rhododendron choked brookie stream. It's going to get outclassed by a cheap 9 wt when fishing the jetties in the salt. And it'd probably be outclassed by much cheaper rods on big river SM bass fishing, or Erie steel, as well.

Specialization beats quality.

Now, if you don't fish in all of those different conditions, but rather fish your same 3 or 4 streams over and over, all with similar size and characteristics, well then I agree. If all of your rods are designed for the same purpose, then 1 very good rod is better than 4 cheaper ones.

But me, I'd get bored with that kind of a fishing lifestyle VERY quickly.

I should also make the point that $ does not equate with "better" all of the time. Yeah, there's a correlation, but a poor one. I own rods ranging from $100 to $1000 new. It's hard to pick favorites, because again, they all excel in certain situations and are a poor choice in other situatinos. But that $100 rod is, IMO, a very good rod, and I'd put it up against rods that cost 4x as much in the same length and weight class.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 11:40


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11462
Offline
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish


I'd like to see one of those, that's for sure. I can think of a few where people said you don't need expensive nonsense to go fly fishin', sure, but never argument over using the cheapest gear possible.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 14:24
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2007/4/5 16:03
From Altoona/Smoke Run
Posts: 734
Offline
I wish cheap #OOPS# would become popular. I could then sell all my stuff and get some lower middle class gear at least.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 19:49
_________________
No Single Drop Of Rain Feels It Is Responsible For The Flood.


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2009/10/15 13:45
From Eastern PA
Posts: 10301
Offline
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
There are too many pissing contests on this board about who can fish the cheapest gear and still catch fish


I'd like to see one of those, that's for sure. I can think of a few where people said you don't need expensive nonsense to go fly fishin', sure, but never argument over using the cheapest gear possible.


I tend to agree. Being cheap is a badge of honor around here whether it be craft store bargains, tubs of make up remover or trying to repair a badly cracked line to get another season out of it. See what I did there?

On the other side of the coin, there is quite a bit of crap doled out for people who may actually buy something nice, when there is a cheaper alternative.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:14


Re: Trico's tippet and rod's

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11462
Offline
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
I tend to agree. Being cheap is a badge of honor around here whether it be craft store bargains, tubs of make up remover or trying to repair a badly cracked line to get another season out of it. See what I did there?


Not really, coz I'm doped up and depressed. Although, it is a badge of honour for me. And that line contiues to carry on in the daily heat and sun inside the car.


Posted on: 2011/6/30 22:09
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?



« 1 (2)



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com