Tiny fly confidence

Jessed

Jessed

I've been fishing a stream where size 20-22 flies have been getting it done but I have a hard time fishing small flies. I have no confidence fishing them. Mostly I think how I'm the world is a trout gonna see this fly in such a big river and go to eat it and also if a fish does eat it how am I gonna get a good hook set

They eat plenty of insects alot smaller than a 22, don't worry they see it well enough to know if its dragging :-D

Try fishing two nymphs on a dropper rig. Just tie in a surgeons knot leaving a long tag end on the lower tag. The smaller nymph can be tied on the point (end) or on the dropper. Tie the flies 20" +/- apart. The larger/heavier nymph will help sink the rig to get both flies down into the zone.

It's a mental trick. But if you can let go of "having to catch as many fish as possible", and instead take it as a challenge to catch a few on small flies. Then the lack of confidence isn't an issue. It's more like you are on a mission to do something you think is difficult, rather than take the easy way out and go back to what you know.

Then once you start succeeding, confidence begins to come naturally with success.

At least that's how I mentally approach new things where I initially lack confidence, whether it's a new pattern or technique, new stream, big fish hunting, etc.

If you're a hunter, it's like bow vs. rifle. If the goal is to kill a deer, a long time rifle hunter sees archery as an inferior way to put deer on ground. But if you make the goal to kill a deer with a bow, the equation changes. And after pursuing that goal you discover a few inherent advantages.

I'm completely the opposite, I have no confidence when I fish bigger nymphs. #18 and smaller I think I'm the man, #16 or bigger and I can't wait to change flies.

well-if you had been around when the Fly fisherman's Paradise was a hot locale you would have learned flies as small as 28 fur bodied nymphs and dries were the go to item at certain times of year.And finding yourself wishing for the 32's you heard were somewhere.Best leader material available at the time for the 28's was made in France and the 8x was rated at 3/8 of a pound/ of a pound!!! But it worked and you would be catching many while the big bug boys [and gals] would be lecturing you for playing the fish too long and stressing them.They avoided doing that by not catching anything.Right nice of them..
Problem would develop years later when the hook making idiots made the eyes so small you couldn't even thread them--oh,they hadn't changed ?
I use to skate 22's and 28's on a pond near my home in Montana-they worked very well.

There's a book called "Midge Magic". A very good treaties on the subject. A pertienet quote, "If fish ate only big bugs, they would starve".

I love fishing trico hatches and spinner falls...so much concentration needed on where the fly is, is it dragging, not pulling too quickly on the take, etc.

I don't know why anyone would fish a small fly.

Back