That Side Arm Cast

P

PennypackFlyer

Last night on Channel 394 (WFN) around 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. I happen to catch A fly fishing show. Towards the end of the program this gent was talking about the cast. He was really degrading the side arm cast. Even to the tune that it was the novice style of flyfishing. It maybe true that the overhead cast is best at presenting flys and numphs on a target. However I have found that there are times that having a good side arm cast in the arsenal is a plus:
1. When there are plenty of trees overhead, being able to cast to or through the small window where an overhead cast just won't work.
2. High banks on the sides of the creek/river.
3. When it is a windy day. It seams I get smacked in the back more often with an overhead cast. So I try to keep the line as close to the waterline as possible because there is less wind resistance.
4. when I want to skip a fly (bounce once prior to landing) this will sometimes get a fish's attention.

The downside of the side arm casts is it does not work well when you are waist deep or higher in the water. My arm is just too close to the waterline. Or when non-flyers leave their sticks standing up in the ground.
All in all I feel if you know your equipment well, It does not take much to become accurate with a side arm cast.

If you have a good casting stroke, you should be able to cast efficiently, moving your forearm in any plane necessary. Sometimes, parallel to the water is necessary.

I saw that show, Maybe he never fished a dense PA trout stream:)

Didn't see the show. Either there is a misunderstanding or the guy is a complete nimrod. I tend to fish mostly smaller streams, many with heavy cover. My backcast goes were there is space to accommodate it, often this space is low and directly downstream. A side arm cast is my preferred tactic in this common situation.

That's bizarre. On the little, brushy streams I usually fish here in pa, I'd say I usually have to use a side arm cast. I mean, I use an overhead cast when I can, but it's not very often.

There is no wrong cast, as long as it gets to the fish and you catch it!

Biker,+1 gg

Reported comments may be out of context. Surely where backcast clearance is not an issue, 99.9% of the time, the overhead stroke would be prefered for numerous different reasons. I will admit, it is hard to skip your fly with the direct overhead cast, but you can slap, slap, slap it down much better. :cool:

This sounds like a style vs. substance argument. As long as the caster is applying proper mechanics he or she can utilize whatever style determined best/appropriate for the conditions. The only style I may point out as one the caster may want to consider for change is a style which limits one's potential to achieve a certain goal.

BTW, the belief that wind doesn't blow as strongly down near the water's surface has been proven to be less than accurate. There are other ways to effectively deal with wind.

90% of the streams I fish there is now way you are overhand casting. Everyone has a different casting style. An to say one is better then another is ignorant. Not that I'm a great caster or anything, but it dosent really matter what it looks like as long as you get it to where you want without spooking fish ect. Like golf there's no pictures on the score card.

bikerfish wrote:
There is no wrong cast, as long as it gets to the fish and you catch it!

Qft

For those of you who have ever taken formal casting classes, did they ever include a segment on small stream casting, i.e. casting where there are obstacles, such as tree limbs overhead, or behind you?

As I have chruned on this today, the only other thing I would say is that maybe we overhead cast too much. What I mean by that is if you are swinging or nymphing a run and you are going to cover it several times, flipping or rolling is often a more efficient way to make the next drift. It is kind of annoying when you are on a stream where there is a good number of folks and you are constantly dodging back casts trying to walk behind folks. Now, if you are stripping streamers of accurately placing a dry, then you pretty much need that overhead/side arm cast.

I roll cast more than overhead (or side arm or whatever) on small wild brookie streames. It pretty much eliminates catching all of that tight canopy cover and you can be as deadly accurate with roll casting as overhead casting. And, as you improve, you might be surprised just how far you can roll out a cast. Food for thought...

It seems hard to believe that some one that fly fishes that much would not see the merit of side arm or low casts. I don't do it more than over head but I use it enough to think it's very useful. Limbs two feet above the water is more than reason enough to be good at it.

going back to what PatrickC said im not sure what this is called but in a quicker riffle as I bring my flies up I can feel the load from the current and almost pluck my rig and it just flings upstream and back down into the riffle is that called flipping?

Just about everytime out I use the side arm cast to avoid catching trees instead of casting over hand.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
going back to what PatrickC said im not sure what this is called but in a quicker riffle as I bring my flies up I can feel the load from the current and almost pluck my rig and it just flings upstream and back down into the riffle is that called flipping?

Yes sir. Right before the end of the fly line breaks the surface tension (down stream of course), rotate your reel parallel to the stream and pop that line. Point your rod tip right to where you want it to go with that quick twitch or pop (or whatever you want to call it) and your line will drop right where you point. So much more efficient when nymphing or indie fishing than making that overhead cast each time. You'll be much less tired at the end of the day.

BTW, it's that same feeling of the line surface tension (and understanding it) that will also allow you to be come very efficient with roll casting. And that will also greatly assist you if you start wanting to spey cast a little.

Side arm also makes it a lot easier to make a curve cast - either over or under power the cast.

ya, that's what I thought you meant thanks for the help !

Back