Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Terrestrials

From Wayne, Pa
I've been going out to Valley Creek, and if anyone's fished here, they should know that the fish here are over-fished and spooked easily. I've had very good luck nymphing with a small thingamabobber, but lately, I've felt like nymphing has lost it's initial satisfaction. I haven't caught a fish on a dry fly, and I plan to at valley creek, and probably just transfer from nymphing to dry fly fishing. It's sounds like the most fun, and sounds like a challenge, and those who know me well know that I like a challenge :) The type of dry flies I'm looking at specifically are terrestrials, and even more specifically the ant. I've met a friend who knows the creek very well and knows how to use terrestrials very well, catching a couple every time he goes out to fish. I asked for some advice and it was very helpful, we even got a fish to come after the fly, but I missed the set. He showed me many different things that can be overlooked and can make the trip a bust. Like leader that isn't straight, and a fly that becomes wet and starts to sink. My main concern is if I should be setting the hook right as I see a fish go for the fly or if I should be waiting a little longer. I was also looking for any other tips or little tricks that could help me get into dry fly fishing. I'm not completely committed to ants, I like ants because of course they're everywhere, but I also like blue winged olives and caddises, so anything on how to fish those would be great as well. Thanks for anyone that is willing to share some advice :D

Posted on: 2012/7/18 22:53

Re: Terrestrials

From Clinton County, Pa.
Fish a foam beetle and let it smack the water just like the natural would do. Beetles are very clumsy. Also cast to the bank and stream edge. Don't set the hook to fast. You MUST let them inhale the fly. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 23:19

From florida
Ants, ants, ants. GG

Posted on: 2012/7/19 4:23

crickets,crickets,crickets and a hopper or two.
Never saw an explosive take on an ant-just gentle sissy like sips.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 7:06

From Pittsburgh
beetles beetles beetles.

Nice thing about fishing them - for someone new to dryflyfishing - is you can plop them right over the fish's noggin, and it'll still take it.

And if a cast is off target, the fish will often move quite a distance from their lie to to smash them.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 12:45

From Wayne, Pa
One more question. What rod should I be looking to use for dry fly fishing? I have a 7'6", 3wt rod and another 7'6", 6 wt rod I got from my uncle. I'm looking to get an 8 or 9 foot, 5 wt rod. I've heard that a lower weight rod would do the trick, have I heard correctly?

Posted on: 2012/7/19 19:23

From Gettysburg
Quote:

FlyFisherMin wrote:
One more question. What rod should I be looking to use for dry fly fishing? I have a 7'6", 3wt rod and another 7'6", 6 wt rod I got from my uncle. I'm looking to get an 8 or 9 foot, 5 wt rod. I've heard that a lower weight rod would do the trick, have I heard correctly?

For fishing terrestrials in small Pennsylvania streams, the 3WT would be ideal. The general trend in fly rods is toward longer and lighter weights. An 8-9 foot 5 WT is a good general purpose trout rod. I like tiny fly rods for fishing summer terrestrials personally.
And another vote for a foam beetle.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 20:25

From Pittsburgh
Most of my terrestial fishing is done on small streams with a 7'9" - 2 weight. And it's a blast.
However, on larger streams - like penns or the little j - that rod is usually not enough. And I move up to an 8'6" - 4 weight

Posted on: 2012/7/20 10:24

From Johnstown, PA
Is catching grasshoppers for awhile and throwing them off a bridge watching the trout eat em and then going down and fishing a hopper imitation considered chumming?

Posted on: 2012/8/16 9:51

From florida
Osprey, it is chumming or prospecting and ok in my book. GG

Posted on: 2012/8/16 10:35

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Generally, dries are probably EASIER to fish than nymphs. You can see the fly, thus can see when drag kicks in, can see when you have a take, etc. Of course, the fish have to be looking up for it to work.

At this time of year, unless your seeing steady rises, terrestrials probably are the way to go. The mayflies are generally a spring thing, again in the fall a bit. But blue winged olives, size 18 or so, can be deadly in March or so.

Fish to the banks and fishy looking lies.

Setting the hook is all about timing and takes some practice. The fish should grab the fly and turn down with it before you set. For some people, that's all the better their reactions are anyway. For others, they set too early. Especially true in slower, clearer water where takes are slow sips, and often you see the fish coming for it before it takes.

Light rods are fine for a stream like Valley, so are heavier rods. I think that question is way overrated. Length, though, isn't. A little longer rod is an advantage. It allows you to hold more line off of the water, over heavier currents and such, and thus control drag better. Too long, and casting becomes difficult in tight spots with brush and everything. So it's always a balance. As long as you can get away with is a good rule of thumb. For Valley, for me, I like a rod at 8' or 8' 1/2". Your mileage may vary.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 10:56

Back in the days of wooden ships and iron men,six foot bamboos were the ticket-ironically those high Priests of Terrestrial fishing were using and promoting 5 and 6 foot glass rods.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 19:56

From Johnstown, PA
Those lit5tle bamboo rods those "high priests" were casting called for 5 n 6 wt lines cause that's all they could get , try a 3 wt.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 10:12

From Quakertown, pa
I love catching smallmouth bass on beetles. They explode on them on the perk. I know you are after trout but there is something about beetles.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 19:32

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

daman1277 wrote:
I love catching smallmouth bass on beetles. They explode on them on the perk. I know you are after trout but there is something about beetles.

He ain't lying...

Posted on: 2012/10/2 19:43

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com