Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Strike Indicators

From Berks County
+1 for the air lock. But I also like the NZ indicator. I will use the foam pinch on indicators when fishing midges.

Posted on: 3/11 18:38

From Pennsylvania
I'm kinda curious. You guys talk about strike indicators.. but then most are talking about thing that are large,harder to cast, and can spook fish. They also literally float the fly..

Strike detection is what I was alwasys concerned with. Instead of trying to see a strike while watching just your leader.

So for me that means a couple bb size balls on my leader (Orvis strike putty) so I can detect a strike or take. And I can keep using the stuff over and over.
Or a section of brighter colored leader tied In With my leader formula.

Or like piece of plastic tube like the ffp shop recommends. Why those big bobber things? Most of that stuff looks very annoying to use

Posted on: 3/21 11:00

From Burke VA
Quote:

Redfin wrote:
I'm kinda curious. You guys talk about strike indicators.. but then most are talking about thing that are large,harder to cast, and can spook fish. They also literally float the fly..

Strike detection is what I was alwasys concerned with. Instead of trying to see a strike while watching just your leader.

So for me that means a couple bb size balls on my leader (Orvis strike putty) so I can detect a strike or take. And I can keep using the stuff over and over.
Or a section of brighter colored leader tied In With my leader formula.

Or like piece of plastic tube like the ffp shop recommends. Why those big bobber things? Most of that stuff looks very annoying to use

Yes, sometimes you need an indicator to float the fly. Here's the most common situation for me, I have a deep run(6 feet deep) that is moving at a moderate pace. I can't get closer than 25 feet from the meat of the run. I need alot of weight to get down quickly, a sighter will go under immediately, as would nz indicator. I need something to literally float the weight through the run.

As for you using weight to detect a strike I'm a little confused. If your weight is above your fly it's actually preventing strike detection. When you use weight you are no longer in touch with the fly, your feeling the weight. A fish could grab your fly and there would be no sign of it before it was spit out. The weights fuction is to slow down the drift and get it down in the water column quicker. The only time weight helps in strike detection is when you are drop shotting the weight below the fly.

Posted on: 3/21 21:36

From Burke VA
Sorry I misunderstood you when you said bb sized balls I thought you were talking about shot.

Posted on: 3/21 21:37

From Pennsylvania
That's okay.
I think when guys use indicators to nymph they use way to big of indicators and over complicate it.
Think visual sighters. Unless your are fishing really far off then I can see yarn n float type indicators being used.
Strike detection is all that is to be concerned

Posted on: 3/24 9:13

From Philadelphia PA
Forget the splash spooking, most of the time you throw above them and let it drift. The real question is:
If your using one of those big indicators, how many times drifting past them do you think it will take the trout to figure out that the big shadow above equates to danger?

Posted on: 4/7 10:21

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

From Long Island
New Zealand wool is what i use when i use an indicator. And they sell an extra large tubing for a larger chunk of wool. Works great.

Posted on: 6/4 22:25

From Williamsport, PA
I use the foam tear drop style ones with a slit and hold it to my line with a toothpick. I will not change from this style. I can easily adjust it up and down my line or take it off if I want to high stick. I have green and red line tied into my nymphing rig also for an indicator. It works for me so I have no desire to change or even experiment with other systems.

Posted on: 6/26 12:08

From South Central,PA
I use the New Zealand style with the two sizes of tubing. As mentioned before, there is very little splash. I also like that they are almost weightless, which makes casting easier. You are only dealing with the weight of split shot and fly rather than the weight of your indicator. with smaller flies casting feels almost like dry fly fishing. The other advantage is customizing the size of your indicator. You can throw a zebra midge under an ultra tiny indicator. It's a lot of fun in low and clear (spooky) conditions. Once you get used to using wool, a thingamabobber feels like tossing a brick into the water!

Posted on: 7/13 7:38

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com