Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Strike Indicators

From Clinton County, Pa.
I use two kinds of strike indicators. The first is the Thingamabobber. They seem to work the best for me and I have tried many different brands in the past. The other is a hi-viz sighter that I tie into my leaders when I build them. This is my favorite.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 15:26

From LV
I'm a convert, I will now use a thingamabobber when nymphing when appropriate.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 11:49

From Southeast, PA
i go with the foam stick ons (usually).

Like someone previously said, they each have their place. I personally carry a pack of foams at all times- but I do have a thingamabobber, and the football shaped rubber stopper type, which have come in handy in different situations...

Funny thing is, I've only ever bought the foam ones - the others I have found in trees and snags and resurrected haha.

I've used yarn / new zealand types before - I found they required more maintenance and attention than I am willing to give to my strike indicator. That being said, if I was fishing a particularly spooky stream with adequate backcast room, I'd probably find that I'd enjoy them. BUT They just soak up and sink fairly quickly if you are roll casting a lot in tight quarters, which sounds a lot like fishing to me :)

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Posted on: 1/31 22:34

I am interested in the New Zealand strike indicators. I would like any users to comment. If they tend to sink, would treating the wool with water shed prior to use or Gink on the stream, reduce the sinking issue?

Posted on: 2/4 18:06

From SW PA
I am a big fan of New Zealand indicators. I set them in place on my leader and apply a paste floatant to the wool prior to my first cast. Mucilin silicone and the Orvis paste floatant are the two I use - the Muculin is great and I prefer it over the Orvis - but if it is hot out it the Mucilin turns from a paste to a liquid (learned that the hard way this past summer...) so I used the Orvis in the summer. I just rub some paste on my fingers and then work it into the tuft of wool.

I have found that the indicator will float like a cork for hours with the floatant applied prior to use. If the wool becomes waterlogged I just dry it off in my sleeve. And at times I have had to reapply floatant.

The wool can alsosuspend a decent amount of weight too - I have had tandem rigs with a weighted fly and 3 split shots suspended easily with the NZ indicator where I have the same rigs unable to be handled with foam indicators.

The NZ indicator is easy to rig, (there are online tutorials that can help with tips) they FLOAT and they are reusable. And the biggest thing that I like about them is they barely splash when they hit the water - WAY smaller of a splash than a foam type indicator and NOWHERE near the splash made by an Airlock indicator or a Thingamabobber. Also, NZ indicators don't kink your leader.

The drawback that I have found is that they are nowhere near as fast to rig up as just about ANY other type of indicators. But, in my opinion the pros very much outweigh this con.

To address using Gink on NZ indicators, I have never tried it, but it might work... Also, I fish smaller freestone creeks. If the water levels are up and presentation is no so much of an issue, I revert to Airlock indicators. If they could make Airlock indicators that hit the water as softly as NZ indicators do, that would be the perfect indicator!

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2/4 21:32

From Erie Co.
I like using yarn indicators. They work easy to rig and they don't spook fish. I've been making my own with polypropylene rope and "o" rings I found you can purchase the small "o" rings on eBay.

Posted on: 2/5 10:45

From Divide, PA
I started using Corqs last season. I didnt see them mentioned here. They are made of cork and have a small rubber loop on them to attach to your leader, ive found they are pretty easily adjustable. They come in many different colors also. I usually use the small ones and they dont seem to splash down too hard. Also they are made in America which is a plus. When fishing for spookier fish though I do use the New Zealand indicators.

Posted on: 2/7 6:37

From Philadelphia PA
I normally use a #10 Adams as a dry fly indicator. It makes less noise when it touches down on the water. And it's something I can see at a fair distance.

Posted on: 2/7 8:54

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

From Burke VA
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I normally use a #10 Adams as a dry fly indicator. It makes less noise when it touches down on the water. And it's something I can see at a fair distance.

I'm all for dry dropper but it's a pain to adjust depth and speed with a dry fly indicator. Either your nymph will drag too fast or your dry drag too slow. There are more efficient ways for strike detection when nymphing imo. That being said hopper dropper during the summer time is just awesome.

Posted on: 2/22 23:25

From Philadelphia PA
Most of the stuff I fish is probably around 2-3' deep. So placing a nymph that distance from the dry fly works. With that said....I will remove the dry fly when the water is way deeper. Also I'll keep a tight line for the most part. Most of the time I can see the strike and am able to set the hook.

Posted on: 2/24 15:49

Edited by afishinado on 2017/2/27 12:31:42

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

I used to be a thingamabobber guy. But now I try to high stick as much as possible without an indicator. I believe my hook % has gone up too.

If I use an indicator, it is a big black cricket with a visible hot spot. I catch a fish occasionally on the cricket too.

I do use a thingamabobber when steelhead fishing tho.

Posted on: 3/1 18:42

I think I have tried them all. I'll add another vote for the New Zealand as my favorite - no knots or leader kinks, easily adjustable and very light. I actually just bought the tubing as I already had some strike indicator yarn and I realized the installation tool looked suspiciously like a "knit-picker" I had seen in my wife's seldom used sewing kit (she never missed it). You have to experiment a little to get the right amount of yarn, but once you figure that out they work great.

Posted on: 3/6 19:48

From Burke VA
No indicator made (so far atleast) can control and detect as well as the rod tip. It takes practice, skill and touch but it's worth it. That being said it's not always an option, the need for different size and strength indicators differs greatly from river to river or spot to spot. You can never have too many options with indicators imo.

Posted on: 3/6 20:26

From York
I normally use Float Masters. They can be adjusted without removing and they do not kink leaders.

Posted on: 3/7 7:43

From Chester County
Airlock indicators are becoming very popular:

Airlock

Posted on: 3/7 7:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com