Straight leader

S

skcuf

Whenever I get to the water and roll my line off the reel it has some memory. I usually try to combat this memory by pulling between my arms to stretch it a bit. Is there a better way to straighten the leader out? If there was a way that I could increase efficiency while decrease time or leader burn I would love to hear about it.

Run it between your fingers for a minute or two. The heat will straighten it out.

A small piece of rubber will work too. I bought something that has a leather back with a rubber lining that you run the leader thru. It works but I would guess a piece of an old bike tire would work just as well.

Furl some leaders, problem solved.

I think I have seen those things with the leather and rubber. I can pick one of those up if you say they work. They're fairly cheap from what I can remember. Thanks for the input.

Be careful with rubber, it tends to leave black streaks on the leader. That is why I don't own one anymore.

TUNA wrote:
Run it between your fingers for a minute or two. The heat will straighten it out.

This.

If its burning your fingers, you're burning the line. Apply less tension.

Those little gadgets are too easy to burn the leader with because you don't feel the direct result.

skcuf wrote:
Whenever I get to the water and roll my line off the reel it has some memory. I usually try to combat this memory by pulling between my arms to stretch it a bit. Is there a better way to straighten the leader out? If there was a way that I could increase efficiency while decrease time or leader burn I would love to hear about it.

Take your leader off your line, coil it up like when you took it out of the package, and boil it in boiling water for 5 minutes. Take it out of the water, uncoil it, and give it a good stretch.

This has to be re-done every couple of weeks, but it makes the leader soft and supple for a good bit. Doesn't harm the leader at all. Try it - you'll be amazed...

Little black rubber thing with leather been using one for years and have never burned or blacked any leaders. Cost 5 bucks and mine has lasted 10 years so far!

Those little gadgets are called leader straightners. They work great just don't pinch to hard they will fray your line which in turn will really **** you off. I hate changing leaders while stream side.

If ya heat up the line to straiten it your realigning the molecules in the mono. Thus weakining it. Fish ferruled.

A nipple from a baby bottle works great and leaves no streaks. Enlarge the hole on the end, run the leader through it once, then back again and BINGO yer in business.

ferruled leaders spray water when false casting , just pull tight between both hand and slowly and i repeat SLOWLY let the pressure off and it is straight ;-)

never saw one anybody was ever using that didn't spray maybe i never met anyone or manufacture that could make one . glad it works for ya though :-o

Back