Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Still Water Fishing for Trout

From Butler, PA
The PFBC has a trout stocking for a local lake and I was wondering if anyone has any effective tactic and pattern ideas for fishing still water? I have no experience fishing still water for trout and I don’t know feeding behavior in this environment. The edges of the lake get heavy pressure with spinners, spoons, and live bait. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2009/11/19 12:49

Re: Still Water Fishing for Trout

From Bozeman
I always did well with a size 18 fur ant.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 14:11

From Greensburg, PA
I have several. But its more fun just trying a seeing what will work.

buggers or streamers ...for distance (great practice right before a trip to the beach)

then fast stripping back near the surface...

or give them time to sink and bring them back slowly near the bottom.

or you can strip and then rest and strip and then rest, kind of like jigging.

I find fish tend to cruise in circling packs(schools) in stocked lakes. I will set up a caddis pupa or small nymph 2-4 feet below an indicator and let it sit in what appears to be their regular path. In this case its basically bobber fishing with flies and you can get caught sightseeing.

I prefer to use dies just like in the streams but I find that fish rise most exactly 10 feet further than I can cast.

My favorite way to fish still water is from a float tube. Its great exercise and you can kind of troll if nothing obvious presents itself. I have a kayak too but I still have a thing for my float tube.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 14:26

From Montgomery County
Will you be in a boat or wading from shore? Could make a difference in what your limitations are. Trolling a furry nymph, streamer or wet on an intermediate line is a good option if you're in a boat. Once you find them, start making loops and pass over the same area.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 16:41

I've found that in most stocked lakes and ponds they're not picky at all. If you can find em you can catch em. I fish some around pittsburgh and I've caught em on anything from a #24 midge to a bass popper and a size 2 spey. If they're wild trout or fingerling stocked trout they tend to be more picky and I usually use drakes, midges, and damsel flies or streamers.

Good luck!!

Posted on: 2009/11/19 20:49

From Greensburg, PA
Damsels are deadly on lakes...

Posted on: 2009/11/20 9:57

slow strip a mayfly nymph this time of year

Posted on: 2009/11/20 13:08

From Lobachsville, PA
I have done well on a local stocked trout lake using a strike indicator and a two nymph set up. One size 14 FBPT and a Copper John. Flashing is good.

I let it sit and just give it a little pull every once and awhile working it back to me.

I fish where the water/creek flows in and keep it about 2 feet off the bottom.

Drys, not much going on this time of year and very hit or miss. I have had some luck on small caddis.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:29

From chester county
My question is sorta related to the topic: say i need to get 30-40 ft of line out to get to the fish I want but don't have much room for a backcast. On a clear pond, would a roll cast in this situation spook fish? And is there a better way than this?

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:47

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Rookie wrote:
My question is sorta related to the topic: say i need to get 30-40 ft of line out to get to the fish I want but don't have much room for a backcast. On a clear pond, would a roll cast in this situation spook fish? And is there a better way than this?

A roll cast is likely your best bet. If you flick it sharply enough and pointing the rod slightly up at the end of the cast, you can get the line to straighten out over the water and drop softly...it'll take some practice at that distance, though.

If the bushes / trees aren't too high, or are back a little, you could also try a steeple cast...
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/fishing/skills/steeple.htm

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:10

From Greensburg, PA
No, especially not in a lake. I mean, it could...but I have been forced to roll cast in gin clear mtn lakes for spooky fish with nothing but pines behind me. A lake where the difference between a size 14 and size 16 fly, and 5x and 7x tippet made a difference but roll casting didn't They may spook briefly but you will probably not put them down.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:12

From Greensburg, PA
That steeple cast almost looks like a mini spey cast. I have used it without knowing it had a name.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:15

From Johnstown, PA
I enjoy the change of pace stillwater trout fishing here in Pa. provides us. When there is a nice hatch or just bugs on the water , that's where the fur ant and the damsels come in , eventually the larger trout get into the habit of cruising and sometimes while cruising they become what is known as gulpers , they cruise around at pretty much the same slow pace , conserving energy but feeding aggressivly as far as calorie intake is concerned. The timing is everything..........Watch out for those ospreys.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 7:30

From Gettysburg
Goldenfly,
Based on the timing of your post, I'm wondering if this isn't one of the winter stockings designed to provide fish for ice anglers? If so, you'll be dealing (obviously) with cold water and dumb fresh stockies. I'd try a glo bug or greenweenie under a large indicator. Fish it almost like bait, slow retrieve. Rooted vegetation tends to die back a good bit by this time of year making fishing a sub surface nymph or wet fly much easier.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 8:27

From Upper Saucon, PA
Take what you know about fishing in a deep long pool and follow what you do there. A really long deep slow pool is pretty close to a lake at the shore line. You can fish ant patterns like someone mentioned, or wolly buggers and a minnow like pattern. The skies the limit for your learning experiance,

Posted on: 2009/12/25 22:40

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com