Staying warm.

Acristickid

Acristickid

For me, seems the feet are the primary issue. I really have NOT been comfortable while wearing 2 pairs of socks.

Any tips you can share on staying warm out there?

Keep moving.

Poly-propolene underwear.

I remember hearing one about swinging your arms because the centrifical force forces the warm blood to your fingers.

Fleece Socks.

I have some thigh high wool wading socks that seem to do the job. I haven't found anything to keep my feet warm while standing in the water, though. With the wool socks, I'll take a 1/4 mile walk and have a smoke in between spots, as opposed to pool hopping down the stream or river. I miss lots of good holding water, but that short walk is enough to get my feet warm again.

I also used the hand warmer pouches for the first time last weekend. I was pretty pleased. I wear ragwool fingerless gloves for the "keep me warm when they are wet" appeal, but my fingertips get completely frozen after a while. I activate a couple of the hand warmer pouches and put them in my hand warmer pockets on the wading jacket. Seems to do the trick. The same company that makes the handwarmers also makes boot warmers. I'm going to give them a try on my next trip.

I also got these things from my grandfathers house when he passed. They are grey and have metal worked in. They go on your knees or elbows and keep your joints from getting cold.

I am looking forward to using them on my knees over the winter and next spring. (I've stood in water for so long that I could barely walk when trying to leave the stream because my knees are froze).

has anyone tried heavyweight ski/snowboard socks? I've never used them for fishing, but you can find some rated to -30 F on www.tramdock.com and www.steepandcheap.com every now and then for around 4 or 5 bucks. Might be worth a shot. I've been on a couple mountains at -40 or better and they do the trick in snow.

What is the fun in staying warm? Be a man and tough it out...makes for a better story. Actually, that's just my excuse because I have never been able to keep my feet or hands warm other than sitting by the fireplace when I should be out fishing.

1. Make sure you're waders don't leak.
2. Where wool socks.

You'll still get cold, but thats about the best I can do. Sure, I could put double thick stuff on, but get them too thick and I can't be comfortable, I'd rather be cold.

As for the rest of the body, under armor cold gear is just amazing stuff. Didn't believe all the hype till I tried it. An all under armor base layer, with everything else loose fitting on top. It works miracles.

wool socks

under armor coldgear shirt & long johns

fleece pants

windproof fleece top

wind/water proof wading jacket

neoprene gloves with "fold backs" for index finger & thumb

disposable handwarmers

fleece hat

small flask of JACK - I know alcohol and cold don't mix from a scientific standpoint, but it does make me feel warmer

I would go with jameson or jager, but I agree about the small flask. If you're a hippie, there are other options available too, but I have no idea how acristic feels about that.

How about keeping your feet dry? No holes in the waders but my feet are soaked.

live2fish wrote:

I would say your waders have a slow leak, or they just aren't waterproof. I never experience nearly that much condensation in my cheapie cabelas pair. The seams leaked like a sieve after a season or two, but I put that loon UV repair stuff on all of the seams, and they've kept me bone dry for four trips so far. I was stupid to trust them to keep me dry in the frigid salmon last weekend, but they did the job. I get some dampness, but I kept the wool socks on afterward, and they were dry in about 5 minutes... so it wasn't much.

Yes you want good moisture wicking socks. Wool is fine and they make awesome techno socks as well BUT if you are into cold water fishing get the warmer soles they sell. They are like the hand warmers you activate to keep your hands warm but you can cut them to fit inside your wading shoes. No steelhead or salmon guide would be without them. They sell them at any sporting goods store.
Also squishing a ton of socks into a wading shoe restricts the circulation and actually cuts down the dead air space that actually will make your feet colder. Think of the insulation in the walls of your house or a goose down comforter. Try compressing either of those and see how warm you stay. Get yourself one good pair of thick moisture wicking sock and buy the warmer soles.

Humm- wonder if I can still fit in my neo's??

wetnet,

your point regarding the air space is excellent, I wear a very thin nylon liner sock(for wicking) and medium weight wool for warmth, this allows that "air space" that is very important.

I heard some good advice on another board... spray your feet with spray antipersperant... moisture just traps the cold. If your feet don't sweat, they'll be warmer. Plus you'll smell fresh after you get home and your wife won't complain about that nasty, BO/neoprene smell lol.

jayL wrote:
live2fish wrote:

I would say your waders have a slow leak, or they just aren't waterproof. I never experience nearly that much condensation in my cheapie cabelas pair. The seams leaked like a sieve after a season or two, but I put that loon UV repair stuff on all of the seams, and they've kept me bone dry for four trips so far. I was stupid to trust them to keep me dry in the frigid salmon last weekend, but they did the job. I get some dampness, but I kept the wool socks on afterward, and they were dry in about 5 minutes... so it wasn't much.

That might be but wearing street shoes my feet sweat to the point where my socks are wet. I have two pairs of waders, one for summer that's lightweight and one for winter that's neoprene. My feet are wet in both.

ryguyfi wrote:
I heard some good advice on another board... spray your feet with spray antipersperant... moisture just traps the cold. If your feet don't sweat, they'll be warmer. Plus you'll smell fresh after you get home and your wife won't complain about that nasty, BO/neoprene smell lol.

I forgot about that. I do that as well. Even when hunting. It really helps. Another thing I avoid is dressing too soon before leaving for either a hunting or fishing trip. The last thing you want to do is sweat before heading out into the cold. I always use layers and add them only when they are needed and almost everything I wear is ventable or has a zipper. Lately it's been cold enough you wouldn't think you'd sweat and I still find a way to do it. Zippers save me.

I go with a pair of light weight knee high wading socks, then a pair of light to medium weight wool socks (nothing too thick), and then a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks. They do a great job keeping my feet warm, and the extra neoprene is added waterproofing. Just keep the layers on the thinner side, so your boots don't get so tight that its uncomfortable to walk around.

"I guess it is had to explain: doubly hard without getting all mystical and macho about it. There's just something about honestly encountering conditions as they are, not beating them, but slipping in neatly and feeling more of less at home."
Gierach

Neoprene socks help too!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about honestly meeting the elements. I do understand what it's like to be out in the cold when your nose hairs are stiff and your gloves freeze to everything you touch. When the snow makes that crunching sound it only makes when the temp is below zero and how the air enters your lungs sharply. When the animals you feed are just that much more hungry and happy to see you, especially when you replace ice with water. Honestly, winter is just plan cold, not evil, just cold. It was about 10 degrees all day today. Too cold for November and my sons heading North Monday for Steelhead. Hopefully it will warm up just a bit.

Back