Small stream fishing and landing nets

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Do you bring one with you? Why or why not? I've done away with a landing net for small streams. I actually broke one a few years back because I was trying to squeeze under a tree and kind of sat on it. I have just noticed a few pictures with wild brookies in landing nets and curious as to who uses them.

Ryan

I don't use a net anymore. I got one of those mesh gloves... it works a little better and you can sit on it and it won't break.

I don't carry one. I don't find them necessary for landing fish unless the fish are huge, which is unusual in a small stream. And beside the point that they're another thing to carry, they tend to hang up on me when walking through brush, just a hassle all around.

so that's what that thing is for that is hanging on my wall!

I used to for pictures sake, but now it's just extra weight to carry.

I even used a fish tank net before.

I used to all the time, but I have recently stopped. Whether it is because I dont feel it is necessary, or because I sat on it and broke it is besides the point ;)

I have a bigger clear rubber mesh net that is heavy as sin that I bring with me while fishing for the big daddys but thats about it

I now carry one for picture purposes/minimizing the time out of water for the fish. I caught a 9 inch brookie about a year back with red like ive never seen before but while fumbling around for my camera he took off at my feet. Its a pretty small brodin rubber net and doesnt add much weight but the cord does get caught on branches in tight squeezes which gets on my nerves. Would be nice to look back at that brookie once in awhile though.

Since I release all my fish I always thought a net was just something extra to carry. I learned my lesson when I nearly lost an 18.5" brook trout on a small stream because I did'nt have a net. I caught the fish and she was hooked solid. I'm sure I would have lost her otherwise. Now I carry my net ALL the time but seldom use it. I only use it for a large trout or in case I would like to take a photo. The net makes taking photos MUCH easier. Take my advice and carry a net. You never know when you may need it, even on a small stream.

I always take a landing net with me - small stream, big bass river or whatever. I enjoy photographing fish and find a soft mesh net with a deep bag allows me to keep the fish in the water while I fumble with camera etc.

I do have a very small brookie net I custom built that usually goes with me on mountain streams. I wouldn't think of trying to photograph fish without one.

For the photo thing, I just leave the fish in the water till I'm ready, then lift it out for the pic. The fish isn't the trouble. But I am having issues with my camera arrangement. The old arrangement was the velcro thing, which worked great but wasn't all that secure. With the new camera, it takes too much awkward fumbling to get it out to where I can use it.

I always use one. Easier to land the fish, take pics, and release its worth the trouble.

I wish I had brought a net with me to a brookie stream two weeks ago. I hooked a 10-11" native brookie in a stream where I had never seen any over 9", got him to my feet and he just would not quit thrashing around to let me pick him up. My camera was filming the whole thing from a tripod on a rock a few feet away and I at least wanted to get a close-up on video. The fly I was using had a barbless hook and all that thrashing worked it loose right at my feet. If I had landed it it would have been either the biggest or second-biggest native i have ever caught, I was pissed but at least now I know where he lives :-D

Yeah that's one thing I have been noticing since I stopped bringing my net with me, pictures are very hard. I think I am going to look for a new net, or maybe build one

For a long time I never carried a net. This season I got a frabil ghost net and I take it out with me every time I hit the water. You never know when your gunna need it. And the ghost nets just plain look cool.

I usually carry a net unless up on some really small Poconos streams. I use it about a third of the time depending on size and condition of the fish. It is also dependent on where i am in the stream. If I am fising from a bank or rock I usually go to the net. If I am in the water it is situational.

Always always always! (except steelhead) IMO a net is one of the most important parts of your gear setup. When the fish is at your feet that is when the most is going on, you are focused on many things (camera, hemostats, surrounding obsticles ect.) it is easy to let a little slack in the line and "pop" there goes the fish you almost caught.

I also dont particularly like keeping my fish out of the water. And a net lets you take your time with the release.

They are worth the hassle in my experience.

I bank a lot of steelhead, but I think a net is almost more important for them than for trout.

I only feel like I need a net if I am taking pictures. And I only feel like I need to take fish pictures when something is wrong with me. :lol: A fish is a fish is a fish, IMO, and I won't carry a net for the sake of photographing one. The big ones occasionally get a camera phone pic, and I usually regret not having a net then, but it's rare.

I carry a brodin ghost because it was free, it's beautiful, and because the rubber mesh is functional. If/when something happens to it, I'll go back to being netless.

Ryan,
I personally bank land steelhead. Also steelhead nets are... big. And i have not found one in my budget that is very streamline/ easy to carry.

Jay,
It all depends on your style and system.

I think that's the base assumption in every post I've ever made. Which is why I stated mine. :)

Back