Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Small stream fishing and landing nets

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Do you bring one with you? Why or why not? I've done away with a landing net for small streams. I actually broke one a few years back because I was trying to squeeze under a tree and kind of sat on it. I have just noticed a few pictures with wild brookies in landing nets and curious as to who uses them.

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/5/25 15:42

Re: Small stream fishing and landing nets

From North Central PA
I don't use a net anymore. I got one of those mesh gloves... it works a little better and you can sit on it and it won't break.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 15:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I don't carry one. I don't find them necessary for landing fish unless the fish are huge, which is unusual in a small stream. And beside the point that they're another thing to carry, they tend to hang up on me when walking through brush, just a hassle all around.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 16:58

From harlansburg
so that's what that thing is for that is hanging on my wall!

Posted on: 2011/5/25 21:02

From Lewistown
I used to for pictures sake, but now it's just extra weight to carry.

I even used a fish tank net before.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 22:13

I used to all the time, but I have recently stopped. Whether it is because I dont feel it is necessary, or because I sat on it and broke it is besides the point ;)

I have a bigger clear rubber mesh net that is heavy as sin that I bring with me while fishing for the big daddys but thats about it

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:00

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Lancaster PA
I now carry one for picture purposes/minimizing the time out of water for the fish. I caught a 9 inch brookie about a year back with red like ive never seen before but while fumbling around for my camera he took off at my feet. Its a pretty small brodin rubber net and doesnt add much weight but the cord does get caught on branches in tight squeezes which gets on my nerves. Would be nice to look back at that brookie once in awhile though.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 9:07

From Clinton County, Pa.
Since I release all my fish I always thought a net was just something extra to carry. I learned my lesson when I nearly lost an 18.5" brook trout on a small stream because I did'nt have a net. I caught the fish and she was hooked solid. I'm sure I would have lost her otherwise. Now I carry my net ALL the time but seldom use it. I only use it for a large trout or in case I would like to take a photo. The net makes taking photos MUCH easier. Take my advice and carry a net. You never know when you may need it, even on a small stream.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 10:08

From Gettysburg
I always take a landing net with me - small stream, big bass river or whatever. I enjoy photographing fish and find a soft mesh net with a deep bag allows me to keep the fish in the water while I fumble with camera etc.

I do have a very small brookie net I custom built that usually goes with me on mountain streams. I wouldn't think of trying to photograph fish without one.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 12:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For the photo thing, I just leave the fish in the water till I'm ready, then lift it out for the pic. The fish isn't the trouble. But I am having issues with my camera arrangement. The old arrangement was the velcro thing, which worked great but wasn't all that secure. With the new camera, it takes too much awkward fumbling to get it out to where I can use it.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 14:12

From Clearfield
I always use one. Easier to land the fish, take pics, and release its worth the trouble.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 15:57

From chester county
I wish I had brought a net with me to a brookie stream two weeks ago. I hooked a 10-11" native brookie in a stream where I had never seen any over 9", got him to my feet and he just would not quit thrashing around to let me pick him up. My camera was filming the whole thing from a tripod on a rock a few feet away and I at least wanted to get a close-up on video. The fly I was using had a barbless hook and all that thrashing worked it loose right at my feet. If I had landed it it would have been either the biggest or second-biggest native i have ever caught, I was pissed but at least now I know where he lives

Posted on: 2011/5/26 16:48

Yeah that's one thing I have been noticing since I stopped bringing my net with me, pictures are very hard. I think I am going to look for a new net, or maybe build one

Posted on: 2011/5/27 0:39

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Gamehendge
For a long time I never carried a net. This season I got a frabil ghost net and I take it out with me every time I hit the water. You never know when your gunna need it. And the ghost nets just plain look cool.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 12:42

From Valley Forge, Pa
I usually carry a net unless up on some really small Poconos streams. I use it about a third of the time depending on size and condition of the fish. It is also dependent on where i am in the stream. If I am fising from a bank or rock I usually go to the net. If I am in the water it is situational.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 21:23

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com