Sighters... Slinky Vs Braided Vs. Bobber

odizz17

odizz17

Sighters. They come in all kinda different forms and colors. I'm going to start making sighters, and was curious what everyone's "go to" is. Personally I'm mostly a dry-dropper or high stick Nymphing kinda guy. However, I've recently had much success with the little baby thingamabobbers. Not the most stealthy, but they won't sink and are very sensitive.

This evening, I'm going to make a few braided sighters and marinade them in gink and then waterproof em. After a dozen or so, I'm going to make about a dozen "slinky" style sighters to use on the local spring creeks. So what's your sighter of choice? Braided, coiled, bobber, or the end of your fly line?

I use a foot of Cortland white and 14inches of bi-color

I used anywhere from 12 to 18" of 10 # Stren Yellow and same of .035 mono bicolor depending on water depth.

Different gear for different techniques and situations. My favorite is whichever best suits the circumstances at hand.

I use a bicolor straight sigher of red amnesia and hi vis gold stren.

I use 11" of gold stren, 10" of red amnesia and the 5" of Cortland white.

Edit: the above is a lie. Don't use them at all

I'm also interested in the Amnesia. I just can't find reference to which pound test to use for different situations.. Should I equate Amnesia diameter to the leader I'm using, or what ?

Yes, use the diameter of the sighter that will work best with your leader. I use the hi vis stren, and i have no problems. I do replace it every trip or 2, to combat the fading that happens.

KeithS wrote:
I'm also interested in the Amnesia. I just can't find reference to which pound test to use for different situations.. Should I equate Amnesia diameter to the leader I'm using, or what ?

Keith I use the 12lb red amnesia blood knotted to 8lb gold stren from there I have a tippet ring and then run straight tippet. How you build your leader above the amnesia is up to you. You will get 100 different answers from 100 people on here.

Back