Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Sharpening Hooks

From Richfield, PA
Look at your hook points after de-snagging yourself from a rock. It don't happen all the time, but often enough the point will be curled back some. It'll take a little bit more force to drive that hookset home then. It doesn't happen alot, but when it does its nice to take 5 seconds with a file and be able to fix it.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:43
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Greensburg, PA
Curled back! Heck, sometimes after a snag and missing three or four rising fish I finally look and notice I have nothing from the bend down at all.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:59

From Richfield, PA
lol! yeah that sucks when you realize why you missed the last 3 strikes!

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:41
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

I keep and sharpen hooks when they need it, by testing the point by feel.
I do it now without thinking, every time I finish tying on, stripping out line to make a first cast into a pool or run, start fishing a new run or pool, after releasing a fish, or if I sense through experience that the hook point has had enough collision with harder materials.
Especially for bottom bouncing sucker spawn and nymphs, but also when casting three-hackle dries in tight, stony streams, checking the hook point needs to be done regularly.
I do this not only for fly fishing for trout, but for other species, and other casting equipment.
If your hooks are dull you are missing fish, and losing more after the strike than need be.
I try to always have a tested and tried stone - similar to other posts.
I hone to get three edges. Once you get the practice down it takes seconds to restore a dull hook.
I still have some of the junk Mustads that had the fragile extra long hook points. I don't tie with them at all anymore. The tips break off on a fingernail. I've found that trying to create a useable point from the remaining blunt end is practically useless.
Some years ago a old friend of mine who went into sales for a hook company tried to tell me that it was impossible to field-sharpen dulled chemically sharpened hooks, because of this or that. I have not found that to be the case.
No matter if it's flyfishing for trout, baitcasing plugs at night, spincasting plugs for smallies, jigging deep for walleye, cane pole for bluegills, or trotlining for cats in Texas, sharp hooks are necessary to catch and avoid frustration.
Sharp hooks and good knots are basics.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 9:36

From florida
In a pinch you can use a match book cover to sharpen hooks.There are a lot of hook sharpeners out there its probably a matter of what works for you as to the choice.Check your hooks sharpness by drawing it over your thumb nail, if it sticks it's sharp.Personally in my fishing I consantly check hooks for sharpness and sharpen each one when making rigs. My sharpener looks like 2 small round files attached to a handle and fastened at the other end to make a grove. A couple of passes and the hook is usually sharp. Just about anything that a hook strikes can dull it's point.
As Vern said"Sharp hooks and good knots are basics".

Posted on: 2010/3/3 10:06

Guess I will pay close attention to my hooks this year.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 10:11

From florida
Probably a good time to check hooks, leader materials,dress lines etc.I have new line to put on some reels and rigs to make.Temp went into the 50's today BRR.Major wind.Spring is here a warmup this weekend to the 70's.Probably 1 more blast and it OVER!

Posted on: 2010/3/3 14:40

From Pittsburgh
Do you sharpen the hooks before every trip?
( or some of them)

Posted on: 2010/3/13 14:30

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com