Safe way to keep ice out of guides besides staying home?

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

I was unwillingly/reluctantly fishing tenkara-style yesterday becauase I got tired of de-icing my guides. I just worked with the line I had out of the reel and locked in ice on the tip :lol: I managed one in the first SEPA snow day of 2017 and called it a day.

Anyway, are there any environmentally friendly ways to keep ice from forming in snake guides and tips when the temp is hovering around freezing? I can think of some ways and products that I would not want to introduce to, say, beautiful Valley Creek.....

Thanks for any input. Oh, and here is my SEPA snow day "tenkara" trout...

20170106_142808.jpg

In the past, I've sprayed the guides with PAM and it's worked pretty well. (You probably don't want the garlic flavored, however.)

If it's safe to eat, it's probably safe to use on the stream.

I keep chapstick in my vest and reapply as needed.

Thanks, guys! Do either have a chance of breaking down the line in any way?

Never had an issue, I fish in the winter alot for a number of years. If it did harm the line I think it would have happened to me but can't be sure. Also I replace my lines in the spring, winter time fishing is hard on lines in general.

I use chapstick or Payette pastes. Seems to work. I had a coupon for Dicks and bought a thing of Ice Off, well see how that works when I finally get a chance to fish this year

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I agree my lines would probably break down from use before any ill effects from any of the above solutions. Anyone ever use the Loon Stanleys Ice Off Paste?

As noted in my previous thread, Ive purchased but have yet to use it. I hope I can report back this coming weekend though.

I tried the loon ice off and it helps but is not a cure all. It will need re-applied. That said it certainly helped just dont bury it in you vest or pack since you will need to re-apply.

Thanks again, fellas.

chapstick for sure works for me also.

chapstick is a no-brainer. but if you forget it or lose it or drop it in the creek and watch it float away...gink or any other pasty floatant works in a pinch.

Sounds like I need to dig that chapstick out of the bottom of my pack.

Back