Old dog , new tricks

osprey

osprey

What is the newest , neatest , trick you've learned this past season , that you will probably use the rest of your fishin life? Mine was to use any stream object to rest my line on in order to achieve a drag free drift of a dry fly , like resting my line on a rock or log or what ever to keep it from getting grabbed by the current , works like a charm and i'll use it alot down the road. Anyone else?

That sounds like a great way to damage a fly line, unless I'm missing something here.

I use 1/4" foam chunks to keep my flies from hooking the carpet in my vehicle or the inside of my rod case.
This allows me to stay rigged up, shaving off a few minutes of prep time in the 80 degree heat.

Osprey, I use that trick too. It is a good one. Using that technique has not harmed my flylines in the least. I have also caught trout I would not have otherwise caught! To answer your question I learned a new way to mend my flyline in the air.

WildTigerTrout.......you got it like i meant it and you are correct about the fly line damage it's just not a problem , i would like to hear more about the mid-air mend though if you would care to share.

Instead of mending your line after it lands on the water you mend it in the air by overpowering your cast and stopping the flyrod abruptly at a 90 degree angle to the current. The fly,weight,indicator(if you are fishing nymphs) and flyline will all line up in the same current thereby giving you a good drag free drift. You can use this cast left or right handed. I'm right handed so when I want to cast to the right a use a cross body cast. If I want to cast to the left I use a normal side arm cast. Just remember you have to overpower the cast to put the curve in the line. Does this make sense to you? Do you understand what I mean?

Reach cast

Fredrick,

I love his videos. Reach casts are suuuuuuper helpful. It's probably the single most useful I learned in the casting department this year.

Most useful thing I learned this year though was how to tie. Keeps me busy and out of trouble!

You folks r great , WildTigerTrout......that mid air mend is very interesting , can't wait to try it and Frederick.............i do my own version of the reach but that video was priceless , younz all taught this ol dog a few new tricks already this morning. THANKS FOLKS , oh one more thing , Jason...........if line damage concerns you try that out with an old line first and when you see how nice it works sometimes you'll understand , try it you'll like it.

Uhhm everything i have learned is New :)

I learned the secret to never getting skunked again.

Ok I'll bite. What is the secret to never getting skunked again? You must mean never going fishing again! That's the only way I could think of to avoid it. LOL

I learned 2 new casts this summer. One of them is just a simple overhead cast but at your stop on the forward stroke you flick your rod tip left or right. This causes your line to have an disinct up or down stream curvy in your line. If you do it fast enuf you can almost cast a 90 degree angle. It works great for drifts.

And the other is the 1 handed snake roll. It really does the same thing as the single spey but it looks so much cooler.

Tups............i call foul on that last post there , you can't just leave us hanging , you must share with us the secret to not getting skunked.

I am not old. But the older I get the more I appreicate "daytime" hatches.

Learning to use a dish pan- because you know they make you look cool.

Osprey, I think he must not fishing to avoid getting skunked.

insert "go" between not and fishing. LOL Sorry for the typo.

WildTigerTrout..........if THAT is how you don't get skunked , by not going fishing , i'm not gonna try that method , i sincerely hope that's not what he meant. AKid........would you explain to me what a dish pan is , i'm not gettin it.

I am a neophyte salt fly angler.

Still coming to grips walking around with this thing. People look at you like a space alien.

Attachments

• dishpanhands.jpg
    dishpanhands.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 5
That would be a stripping basket no? Clouser and his folks used to use stripping baskets in the susky for smallmouth , they used to say you had to be able to cast and be accurate at 70 ft.

Back