New to Fly Fishing

J

jvo2711

Hello All,
I am new to fly fishing all together. How do you fish the different types of fly's etc....like 'nymphing' - what does that mean? and How do you fish a Green Weenie etc...From what I understand sometime you fish beneath the water and other times you fish on top (like with dry flies)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

The question you asked takes a lifetime to answer, just so you know........

Nymphing is a form of fishing where you are immitating things a trout would eat under the surface (except other fish, thats using streamers). These could be dislodged nymphs and larvae that hang out under rocks, worms that fall into the water, or fish/reptile eggs, etc.

In order to be a successful nymph fisher, all you have to do is accurately immitate what a certain type of fish will eat on a certain type of day at a certain location of a certain stream. That being said, a Wild Brown trout in the riffles of a small stream on a sunny day in April will fish different than a stocked rainbow in a deep hole in a large stream on a cloudy day in October. The only way you will be able to acheive this knowlege of what/how/when/where to nymph is by expirience.

Your first few times out, be prepared to get skunked, but don't be discouraged. Eventually, weather by luck or the fact that you actually did something right, you will get a fish.....then you'll get more.....then it will start getting really fun :)

Your best bet is to go out with someone who knows how to nymph and get some expirience under your belt. Where do you live? You could probably arrange a meeting with someone on this forum.

jvo, my suggestion is to buy a couple books and read up on fly fishing before asking a forum board. A lot of these guys will help you out but it will all sound like Chinese. Once your familiar with the terminology the web will help more.

If you like to do some reading online instead of running to the store...check out this website... FAO Beginners Index ...there is a ton of info...its not all gospel and every thing is open to personal preference but I think you'll get a lot of those basic questions answered and even maybe give you a better idea of what kind of book, later on, might be more helpful. Theres a lot there so hang on....

When I started flyfishing, I invested in a day long course held by a local flyshop. They really pushed me up the learning curve in a hurry.

The curriculuum covered casting (not easy to figure out, and it's probably the single most important skill), fly selection, how trout make a living, life stages of insects, equipment and many other tip and tricks.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you give a vague idea we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice, I live in Coatesville, PA (Chester COunty)

jvo, I live in Exton and will probably go out this weekend, I sent you a PM.

Back