Need a tip. Setting a dry.

wetnet

wetnet

OK you hear that sip or smack or see a flash, what do you do to prevent setting too fast on a dry? I'm working on drys and keep ripping them out of the fishes mouth. Most frustrating! :-(

ripping?????????????
what test u using ,50#????
gently raise rod skyward
gently pull down with line hand
or u can use slip strike
either way litewire hooks just need slack removal,no strike needed
in my prime several centuries ago we used 8x which tested 3/8pound wet,with size 28
u learn not to rip-lol

A slip strike for my fair Lady can be read about under google:
slip strike for flyfishing
its a good one for dry fly fishing.

If you do as pete says and still not connecting, wait a second to set hook.

Gotcha!

My description is worse than what I do. OK maybe not. It the curse you get when always nymphing. I am trying to become more versatile but you're looking at a hard study. They talk about muscle memory and once you get it it's a hard thing to change. I have no God given talent. It's funny but I'm not entirely sad about it.

I am not using an indicator. Use a colored line indicator nymphing. Should I add a bit of fluff to get a handle as well or should I wait a bit. I see them, hear them and just set too fast and hard. I'll try giving them the skyward slip instead.

I also get way too excited about catching fish. There is somthing definitely wrong with me. :)

wetnet - one way to use your body's natural dynamics is train yourself to strike up using a locked wrist and raising your arm instead. A wristy motion, especially if you are a tennis or squash player, is too fast and powerful wtih light tippets, especially if you are not using a bamboo or glass rod.

tl
les

When fishing drys in a drift boat, every guide I have used has said keep the rod low to the water and utter those immortal words " God Save The Queen ", and lift or slip strike with the rod. It also works while wading...

I'll agree with everyone who says, "don't set the hook". I always thought of it as "snugging" the hook in place. You have to be especially delicate with small flies. To give a small hook more "bite" you can bend the point to one side to offset it. This effectively widens the hook gap. Be especially careful to slow down in clear water. When you can see the trout rising, it's far to easy to set the hook early. Many people try to set the hook before the trout has even taken the fly. If you can see the trout that well, watch for it to turn back down to the bottom before moving a muscle.

If you have the patience, try setting the hook by snapping teh rod down.

I read an article awhile back that said the hook-up rate it higher and it actually takes lest time and energy to get the point of the hook moving, but without the violent jerking motion.

I have dabbled with this, but setting up is such a hard habit to break. However, whipping the rod down does work and feels more crisp than flicking up.

Lots of good suggestions here, but this is one that hasn't been mentioned. Try setting the hook with a downstream sweep of the rod held low to the water. This tends to pull the hook into the fish's mouth, and can be especially useful if the fish is across the stream from you. :cool:

Wetnet,

I go through spells where I just can't seem to set the hook into a fish. Sometimes it is just some kind of phase I'm going through. Luckily it wears off. Other times, especially when I'm tired, I tend to over-react and not hesitate a half second before setting the hook. That half second/pause after the strike takes time to pick up and fortunately, it becomes second nature. Also to add to what H-A suggested above, try setting the hook in a direction that puts the hook into the fish. For example, if fishing downstream set to the side instead of up. It will pull the fly into the corner of the fish's mouth instead of out of it.

I do tend to always set my rod by rotating my wrist quickly and following the action the direction across the palm of my hand from pinky to thumb. That's my nymph set but to set top flies I hear again and again to set up. I'm fine with that but I'm no fast setter from the side but am still thinking during my top fly set I am setting too fast and am basically ripping the fly out of their mouths. I hear sip or smack and my wrist wants to twist and set. I'll go play on the bluegill pond with some ants or spider poppers and try a lift set. They smack when they hit too!

Thanks!!

I agree with all of you pad your right,and wetnet I could not have had a better suggestion.I've taught many people over the years and most came from bass fishing backgrounds.Wait till the trout is on the way down with it.The best way to rid yourself is to go to a bluegill pond and spend some time to develop and find your touch.I have found this is the best way learn.I still do it from time to time,and it's still fun.

I am hopeless! I can set a nymph but not a dry. Stupid Bluegills! I almost smacked myself in the eye! Do trout even take a fly like a bluegill? I could catch a bluegill until I tried to today. What a disaster! I'll take a step back and try again tomorrow. I was using an ant. Caught a few but not near getting the rythym. You dry fly guys think it's easy? The bluegills even smack loud, really loud and I keep setting too fast!

Do NOT set the hook...just LIFT the rod ...sometimes with "gills, you can let them hook them selves by just removing the slack from the line when they take the fly down...

fish with soft mouths like trout don;t need the hook driven into the flesh to keep it there...just lift and keep pressure. With bass you often have to drive that hook thru the hard membrane around the mouth. I learned to flyfish on bluegills 25 years ago so maybe its just reflex anymore...

I'll try again tomorrow on the bluegill pond across the street. I guess I shouldn't get frustrated so easy. Setting a drifted nymph is very different than setting a dry. My only other question is still water or moving with a dry is it the same set? Obviously a nymph in still water just plan goes to the bottom. I'll get out some ants and foam spiders to start and go at it again. Thanks!

I'm mean the same lift not set. I get what your talking about but my arm has other ideas. I have launched creek chubs into trees. VERY Embarassing!!

I've thrown a few pickle sized bass over my shoulder expecting something a little different myself...If you get frustrated with the drys but are still looking for a visual trigger, try a small indicator with your nymph in the still water. You can slowly strip and give it a swimming action as well. Keeps it at the desired water level and work great on bluegills. Its probably the only time I use an indicator by preference. My favorite bluegill fly is still a foam spider though.

wetnet wrote:
I'm mean the same lift not set. I get what your talking about but my arm has other ideas. I have launched creek chubs into trees. VERY Embarassing!!

Don't be embarrassed, just take a good look at them as they pass overhead, they may be trout. If I notice its a trout I usually go back and get it out of the bushes.

If you listen carefully you can sometimes hear the squeeling glee of the fish as it passes overhead.

Wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhh!

Back