Micro nymphing

marcq

marcq

I've found my self in this situation and have difficulties with catching fish. Here's a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zha9U_LvTtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for sharing.

marcq wrote:
I've found my self in this situation and have difficulties with catching fish. Here's a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zha9U_LvTtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You don't want to catch fish like that guy...he fouled that fish in the pectoral fin.

Clues:

1. He spooked it several times by lining it fishing the weigh above the fly allowing the fly to dangle below. (notice after the one cast he readjusts the weight)

2. Note when the fish spook they shoot away rather than just drift away from the fly. [indicates they have been lined]

3. When hooked (finally) it again shoots away to the left for cover. He also had a very slow reaction time to the [strike]. Probably because he thought it was another spook form lining.

4. Notice when the fish is fighting underwater the mouth never opens. Trout fight with their mouth open shaking their heads to throw the fly...unless they are fouled then they try to "get away" from the fly. This fish clearly isn't hooked in the mouth.

5. Notice he doesn't show removal of the fly....because that would void the video. Would have been nice to see the fly and to hear him say how it was neatly hooked in the corner of the mouth but apparently it wasn't or the camera battery died.....

No thats a video of gaffing fish with an indicator.weight and a trailing hook. But the hook is small so.....thats a disadvantage.

Hey it only took him four tries (on video).

Lol....Mo has it. I didn't want to pee on anyone's parade, but that's the worst video I've ever seen for micro nymphing...or even macro nymphing.

Yep the fish looks snagged to me, and you could definitely tell the other fish he didn't hook were being lined....

So how would you try to catch a fish in this situation?

much the same way he is doing it I just wouldn't publish a video of foul hooked fish. This is often the method undertaken on the Erie tribs when sight fishing. (minus the ultra light presentation and light line).

Lets face it, if you are sight fishing and the fish are right there and won't bite, you can be compelled to continue throwing at them over and over again. Thinking, I have to get closer.....then maybe a take, maybe a foul hook.

He stated that the fish were turning for nymphs so the object should be to run near but not over them. Hoping they move to take it. In fact this is what happened here in the video....but when the fish refused it appears it to get lined and hooked itself.

Just not a good choice for the climax of the video.

I agree, he foul hooked that fish!
The stupid trout has no place to hide, so it just keeps swimming in the same spot until it gets snagged.
Up north, a new fad is putting a plastic pink bead on your line with a small treble about six inches behind. Some say it looks like a salmon egg, but it is also for the flyrodder to see and he keeps casting in front of the fish that can't move and sooner or later you snag it on the outside of the mouth. Some say it's better to hook a fish on the outside of the mouth? ...... if you want to release them anyway? LOL

How dare you dump on dirty pinners. Tilt I expect you to chime in lol

Well he accomplished what he wanted to show. Just cause he foul hook the fish doesn't mean it's the worst video ever IMO. I'll give him a break from spooking the fish, he was probably trying to get a good camera shot.

Wow, not only did it look like the fish was snagged, but the slack in the line almost gauranteed that when he saw the fish turn and struck the odds were better than even it would have to be a snag. In that situation ( frankly, fish in a tub) he has to high stick the line off the water and keep the indicator above the fly.
Coughlin

why was he even using an indicator ?

Coughlin wrote:
Wow, not only did it look like the fish was snagged, but the slack in the line almost gauranteed that when he saw the fish turn and struck the odds were better than even it would have to be a snag. In that situation ( frankly, fish in a tub) he has to high stick the line off the water and keep the indicator above the fly.
Coughlin

Amen. That was a perfect scenario for a little "high sticking" if I've ever seen it. The amount of drag he had from the fly line certainly had to create an unnatural presentation. Not to mention, reacting to a strike certainly wouldn't have been a timely situation.

I think we've all accidentally "foul hooked" a fish (by spooking a pool, etc.) and that video certainly shows a fish that was not hooked in the mouth.

Back