Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Knots knots knots

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
I really need to practice the non-slip mono loop. I fished spring crrek last year and was given a few flys buy a guy who tied in a mono loop onto the fly. He advised to tie right to the mono instead of the hook eye. He felt it gave better movement. I can tel you I caught twice the fish using his sow bugs tied that way than tying to the eye. Any other knots that let the fly move.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 11:55

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Call me crazy, but I genuinely enjoy tying blood knots. Once you train your hands to use four points of contact to hold everything in place, they're pretty easy.

for once NOT CRAZY...

I formed a system to tie a blood knot pretty easily. I twist the lines 5 times, put one end through, and twist the other tag end 5 times. This helps the BIG problem of trying to find the middle of the twists and opening it up. With the one tag end already through the middle, then you just give it a little pressure and the hole opens up to put the other tag end through. Very easy and solves a few of the problems of the blood knot.

I use clinch, blood, and Albright (leader to line) knots. I like that Davy knot though... might try that out.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 12:15

From Greensburg, PA
I didn't mind tying them until I needed readers.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 17:02

From Elizabethtown, PA
I use my improved version of a Turle knot not sure if any one else does it this way. I have never had one slip or break in all the years Ive been using this knot. It's amazing. I looked all over the internet for a diagram similar to the way I tie it and found nothing. Ill try to explain it.

To tie it you pull the line through the eye of the hook. Tie a over hand knot around the line having it pass through two to three times, this will create a loop around the line. You will then pull the hook through the overhand loop and tighten it above the eye not on the shank.

It's a awesome knot so I thought Id bring it up. I mean Ive tried to break it but I get the full strength out of the the line.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 2:22

From South Central PA
What is being referred to here as the Davy knot looks like the one in Holbrook and Koch's Midge Magic book for attaching small flies. I don't fish very small flies much or I'd use it more.

The clinch knot is a half blood but we think of it differently because it gets attached to a hook, or at least that is how I conceptualize it. My clinches have a minimum of 7 turns because of superstition and is what I use for most flies # 20 and larger. They almost never slip with that many turns.

Been using the blood knot for leader connections too long to feel comfortable doing anything else, though I use more or less turns depending on diameter and brand--anywhere from 3 for butt sections to 5 for soft, small diameter, but usually 4 for everyday use with Maxima.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:52

From florida
Uni knot system.Good for just about any situation.Tippet to leader,snelling hooks, tying on flies and lures.Easy to learn,imo.GG

Posted on: 2010/7/15 16:18

i like to use the knot tying tool and tie leaders with it using a back to back nail knot , makes a nice smooth knot like a blood , no offset in tippet and strong as heck , the knots can't pull through themselves when tied right and its quick and easy for someone with carple tunnel on a brisk morning ...lol

Posted on: 2010/7/15 17:24

From Clinton County, Pa.
I use the "Improved Clinch Knot" to tie on all flies, even size 24 tricos. I never had a problem so why change. I wrap the line 7 to 9 turns. For all you fella's having trouble with the "Blood Knot" buy yourself a "Dennison Leader Vise". It is a handy little tool that makes Blood Knots childsplay LOL. It is small and fits in the front tray of my chest box. Cost about $9. Does anybody use Tippet Rings? I think they are great. No matter how many times you change your tippet the leader stays the same length. You can also use the Improved Clinch Knot to attach the leader and the tippet to the ring!

Posted on: 2010/7/15 17:43

yes wild i do use tippet rings and yes wild trout i love em , no more guessing or using a tippet gauge after a break off , it usually goes at the tippet ring mono side since most are hard nylon to the ring (mine anyway ) then 1 ft. piece 2x , then 1 ft piece of 3x , then 1 ft piece of 4x then tippet at desired lenght , if i wanna nymph , tie onto the exisiting 4x with another 3' piece and bam, ur done

Posted on: 2010/7/15 19:13

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com