Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Knot for fly-to-bend

From Landenberg, PA
Thats a slip knot - you don't need the 2nd foldover,

who on earth uses open hooks like that in this century ?

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:15

From Johnstown, PA
I do it the way JoeBamboo does it and it works just fine.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 5:09

From Hershey
I used the method with the hemostats, worked great! Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/18 6:16

From Pgh
Quote:

Biggie wrote:
I used to tie off the bend, but last year someone showed me that he ties the dropper from the eye of the top fly. Since then, I have used this set up and I like it. Still use the improved clinch knot on all flies.

I tie from the eye now too... for two reasons.
1) Easier to tie for the reasons you stated.
2) When I originally used the dropper system tied from the bend, I noticed an increase in missed hook sets when a fish would take the lead/indicator dry fly. At first I thought it was a coincidence. Then, quite a few years ago, I mentioned the missed hook sets on PAFF. An English gent posted and told that the leader coming off the bend was at times preventing a clean hook set, depending on what angle the fish would take. In other words the leader would slightly push the fly from the fishes open mouth. I tried tying to the eye and voila, no more problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 10:42

Yes, what greenghost said.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:56

From Chester County
I agree that tying a dropper on the bend of the hook causes a lot more misses. You can try to thread a second tippet through the eye of the hook for a dropper, but why not just tie a clinch knot on the first fly and leave a long tag on it to tie on the second fly? No need to try to thread a second tippet through the eye and one less knot to tie. I've done this for a long time. It works!

Posted on: 2013/4/20 7:18

From Pgh
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I agree that tying a dropper on the bend of the hook causes a lot more misses. You can try to thread a second tippet through the eye of the hook for a dropper, but why not just tie a clinch knot on the first fly and leave a long tag on it to tie on the second fly? No need to try to thread a second tippet through the eye and one less knot to tie. I've done this for a long time. It works!

Even better!

Posted on: 2013/4/20 10:11

From Dubois,PA
Davy knot

Posted on: 2013/4/29 21:02

From Gamehendge
Quote:

jagger wrote:
Davy knot

I used to use this knot. Until I started losing fish because of it. Good knot fast and easy to tie but i dont trust it anymore. Lost a big brown 'cause that knot failed. Never tied it again after that.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:58

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
Quote:

jagger wrote:
Davy knot

I used to use this knot. Until I started losing fish because of it. Good knot fast and easy to tie but i dont trust it anymore. Lost a big brown 'cause that knot failed. Never tied it again after that.

Yea you have to be really careful with the Davy knot - when you clip the tag end you can't pull on it at all because it'll loosen the knot. Then you always have to tug on the knot a little to make sure it's snug. I lost a couple flies before I figured it out. Lol.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 9:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com