Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

It aint nothing but a strike indicator

From franklin county
For all the years i've been fly fishing 90% of my success was focused sub surface. Nymphing high sticking you name it. Tips of the trade for me is when using a nymph rig i always use a xs barral swivel. This helps with using multi fly rig ups. However, the main purpose is when i use an indicator it continues to have a natural looking drift. My main nymph rig is an old leader that has 4 1/2 feet left. This is tied to the swivel then tippet down out to 7ft overall length. For the individuals who really use the longer leader set up no problem. Straight lining from a 7 ft leader to the swivel to the tippet. Set your indicator to the length and no matter what your rig stays taggle free in the drift. This also works for my swingers and streamer boys/girls.

Let me know how this works for you.....

Posted on: 3/28 16:18

Re: It aint nothing but a strike indicator

From Philadelphia PA
I use a dry fly as an indicator with a dropper. Depending on the depth of the creek/river will determine length of line to the nymph or midge.

Posted on: 3/28 16:44
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From New Castle, PA
I think if you review the nymph fishing threads on this forum you will see many advocating a similar rig for nymphing with the only difference being the omition of the swivel.

Personally I use a tippet ring, but would use swivels if I could find them consistently in a small enough size. Rings and swivels make changing the front half of the leader a snap.

Kev

Posted on: 3/28 20:19

From franklin county
Walmart and gmnt carries these swivels also it seems that a loop knot holds it very well

Posted on: 3/28 20:35

From New Castle, PA
The ones I've seen at those places are too big for my taste. I've seen a few sold for center pin fishing a and carp fishing that are much smaller but are not conveniently available.

Kev

Posted on: 3/28 20:57

From franklin county
I used to work at gmnt. One day stocking shelves i stumbledonto a pack and thats when i was thinking icpuld use these been using them ever since.

Posted on: 3/28 22:11

From franklin county
I used to work at gmnt. One day stocking shelves i stumbledonto a pack and thats when i was thinking icpuld use these been using them ever since.

Posted on: 3/28 22:13

The nice thing about using either the tippet ring or barrel swivel is if you break off, it is below the tippet ring or swivel.

Posted on: 3/29 9:22

Not sure why I never thought to seek out an xs barrel swivel. You tie it above your strike indicator??

Posted on: 4/8 15:35

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have used XS barrel swivels in place of the tippet ring. IMO the barrel swivels work just as well for nymphing and are ALOT less expensive. I try to buy them in the black matte finish.

Posted on: 4/8 18:38

From Lehigh Valley
My leader set ups are constantly evolving.
For an Indy rig I use roughly 3 sections:
-butt: 4-5 ft; usually 15 lb stiff mono or fluoro. This can go up to 20lb if I need it to turn over better. This can also go down to 12 lb which is harder to cast but helps keep your Indy drag free...
-sinking section: usually 12 lb fluoro sometimes going down to 10 lb. This section tapers down accordingly to the butt with a double surgeons and I don't like extreme difference in diameters which make a weak connection. This section sinks so the thinner the better, but the thinner the harder to cast. So a 12 lb butt with 10 lb sinking section would give the best drifts but be the hardest to cast. The length of this section depends on water depth and ranges from 4-8 ft. Beyond 8 ft it gets hard to cast and you might want to add an extra section to the butt to add some taper and help casting...ie instead of having 10ft of 10ln sinking section split the difference with 5ft of 12ln and 5ft of 10lb. This is the section where you slide your Indy up and down
***swivel***
-tippet: whatever you prefer here. Where you put your weight will effect length. If you weight near the fly or flies (or use weighted flies) then you have to factor the distance from your Indy to the flies or weight to be near the bottom. Some people add weight above the swivel so the sinking section needs to get you to the bottom.

For swivels I've settled on Spro 35 lb'ers. They have them at cabelas and shops with steelhead/pinning gear. There's other brands and the smaller the better. I'd say I prefer swivels over tippet rings in most situations. If you're tight lining a tippet ring is slightly lighter which gives it an edge. And on small to medium creeks it doesn't make at much of a difference. If you use a tippet ring on a big Indy rig on a big river you're line is going to twist up badly...it gets worse with multiple fly rigs
I've run into rising fish while using a swivel and was still able keep dries floating enough to catch those fish. Putting a glob of floatant on the swivel and surrounding line will help extend your float time but I wouldn't suggest this all day...I tippet ring being lighter would also have an advantage here

Posted on: 4/15 15:17

From Dauphin PA
Phil,

I made you an adjustable thingamabobber rig for our next trip. 6' section of 24# amnesia. Bobber threaded on with old fly line nail knotted above and below it. Loop connection to fly line and tippet ring at the end. You can adjust your bobber 5-6' depending on depth you want to fish. You can run 3-4x fluoro right off the tippet ring. Not sure how they'll work but well give them a shot. The fly line nail knot will wear out after a full day or two of moving the rig but I've got 30 more yards to use up. In theory, it's perfect but we'll see after trial run next Saturday

Posted on: 4/17 11:01

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Phil,

I made you an adjustable thingamabobber rig for our next trip. 6' section of 24# amnesia. Bobber threaded on with old fly line nail knotted above and below it. Loop connection to fly line and tippet ring at the end. You can adjust your bobber 5-6' depending on depth you want to fish. You can run 3-4x fluoro right off the tippet ring. Not sure how they'll work but well give them a shot. The fly line nail knot will wear out after a full day or two of moving the rig but I've got 30 more yards to use up. In theory, it's perfect but we'll see after trial run next Saturday

I've been using this setup for a while now and it works great. The only real downside is that you cannot quickly remove the thingamabobber if you want to fish without it. You have to remove the whole leader.

As for the nail knots, they have to have the right number of turns or wraps or else they will not ave enough bite to keep the bobber from sliding down the leader when you pickup the line on the back cast. I've also tried commercial rubber bobber stops, and they were not enough to keep a 1/2" thingamabobber in place. On the other hand, fly line nail knots tied with 5 turns and cinched very tightly kept the indicator firmly in place.

An extra benefit of the nail knot bobber stops is that they allow the thingamabobber to rotate freely around the leader rather than imparting a twist into it.

Kev

Posted on: 4/18 7:38

From Dauphin PA
Positive report makes me feel like it should work. I'll give it a test run next weekend. Interested to see how it performs.

Posted on: 4/18 11:05

From Dauphin PA
Kev,

The test run was a flop. The indi should be loose and able to spin but it twisted the crap out of my leader. I don't know if I had a bad butt section on there or what. Ended up chopping it off and went to my old 90 degree rig from the past couple of years. That one didn't give me any issues. I used heavy amnesia for butt section but it might be too soft. I'll try some Maxima on the next version. What did you use for your butt section? Mono nail knots or fly line nail knots? I think it should work great but the one I had on was a dud.

Posted on: 4/28 16:33

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com