HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Is working up-stream dead?

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
... I believe this, because the fish face upstream, so you are approaching from their blind spot, and also because when you set the hook from downstream, you are driving the point into their head, whereas when you set the hook from upstream, you run the risk of pulling the fly from their mouth.

All good points.

I also think one is less likely to hook one deep if casting upstream versus down. Once the fly is picked up, the drag on the line will pull the fly into the side of the mouth.

It seems that although rare, every time I have deep hooked a trout while using flies or even hardware, it was while I was retrieving upstream.

Posted on: 5/24 15:40

Quote:

NewSal wrote:
Jeez, some of you take what I said as a hard-line law.

Well, what do you expect after using the word "working" in a fly fishing thread?

Quote:

The downstream yeilds to upstream, and the upstream approach are etiquites that I've heard from multiple old timers.

Self described purists no doubt.

Quote:
The point of this was to see if most people still are from the school of fishing upstream, and obviously that is not the case.

Thanks

Serious now. I think if we measured the time fishing upstream versus down, the vast majority of us spend more time "working" upstream. It's just not cast in stone.

Posted on: 5/24 16:01

From Morgantown, PA
I see a lot of spincasters working downstream...just sayin'.

If they're doing it, it's probably just plain wrong.

Posted on: 5/24 16:23

Hey NewSal-don't go,please stay---been awhile since we have had this much fun on Paff--

Posted on: 5/24 16:26

Quote:

pete41 wrote:
Hey NewSal-don't go,please stay---been awhile since we have had this much fun on Paff--

I knew it would pose plenty of opinions, and it looks like it pulled some folks from OT to actually talk about something fishing related - so its a win in my book

Posted on: 5/24 17:27

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

NewSal wrote:
Jeez, some of you take what I said as a hard-line law.

Well, what do you expect after using the word "working" in a fly fishing thread?

Quote:

The downstream yeilds to upstream, and the upstream approach are etiquites that I've heard from multiple old timers.

Self described purists no doubt.

Quote:
The point of this was to see if most people still are from the school of fishing upstream, and obviously that is not the case.

Thanks

Serious now. I think if we measured the time fishing upstream versus down, the vast majority of us spend more time "working" upstream. It's just not cast in stone.

Thanks for all the enlightenment in this thread Farmerdave, when do I pick up my degree in Farmerdave wisdom

Posted on: 5/24 17:30

And what would you know, I did a search on upstream vs. downstream and one of my favorite blogs has an entire blog entry about it, I knew I couldnt of just imagined hearing this from people before..

https://troutbitten.com/2017/04/20/dow ... r-yields-upstream-fisher/

Posted on: 5/24 17:34

Hope to sign in tomorrow morning and hear some more fantastic opinions, but for now Im headed to the j, hopefully everyone is working upstream this afternoon ;)

Posted on: 5/24 17:35

From SCPA
I always fish upstream when possible. I usually fish away from where I park vs walking in and fishing back out. I always yield to the other person, and always put at least "out of eye sight" distance between me and the next angler if they are there first, and try to exchange a friendly word with anyone I bump into if they seem like they want to talk, usually at minimum a hello.

Reasons to fish upstream in any water is to avoid disturbing fish/water obviously. Shadows and wind direction also play a part, but honestly you should be walking, then stopping to cast, so your walking direction shouldn't have any bearing on your casting or position, as I've seen some people state, at least in my humble opinion.

Posted on: 5/24 18:46

From Hagerstown, MD
I fish both up and downstream... if I'm nymphing, I almost always work up. Dry fly fishing on free stoners or high gradient streams is always up stream.

Down stream approaches for me often involve big rivers or larger streams during good hatches. I am not covering a lot of water during these situations. Mostly I am standing in anticipation or slowly wading like a set every minute, positioning myself on a fish or pod. I can tell you, 90 percent of my large dry fly fish are taken this way, with 40-60 foot reach mend casts and feeding line out. It's my favorite type of fly fishing by far. Swinging wets is the same approach, not as visual, but more relaxing because you can zone out and take in the scenery as the fly does the work for you.

Posted on: 5/24 19:33

Am I the only person that fishes away from the starting point and then fishes back to the starting point? It means that I spend equal time fishing in each direction. How can it be otherwise?

Yes, I honor the "downstream yields to upsteam" rule, just because it's the convention, much like driving on right side of the road. I don't believe there was ever a practical reason for the convention, though -- somebody is going muddy the other person's water regardless of who yields. I think the convention got started when 19th century "gentlemen" (meaning the leisured class who had time to wait out a hatch) fished dry flies upstream and expected the peasantry to yield.

There are many advantage to fishing downstream, and only a few to fishing upstream. Trout have nearly 360 degree vision; you can't really sneak up on then any better from below that from above. I always seem to spook more fish while fishing upstream. Fishing down allows a fly-before-line presentation, and usually involves less false casting - both advantages in not giving yourself away. It allows dry flies to be skittered, and wet flies to have a vertical motion.

The main advantages to fishing upstream is the fact that you don't muddy the water you're about to fish -- this is a tremendous advantage in streams with silty bottoms. It's offset that fishing downstream can create a "chum line"by dislodging invertebrates (not that doing so deliberately is at all sporting, but it happens).

Yes, you pull the hook into the mouth of a fishing while fishing upstream, but that requires action on your part. A fish is much more likely to hook itself fishing downstream. And I wish that fish never got deep hooked while fishing down -- I've probably killed several in the two weeks that were gut hooked on a swung wet. (This is more about direction of presentation, though, than direction of movement -- as is the fact that it's easier to get a dead drift presenting upstream.)

Posted on: 5/24 20:09

From Butler Co
There are often exceptions, but in general I follow the practice of fishing upstream with dries and downstream with everything else.

Posted on: 5/25 0:31

Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I see a lot of spincasters working downstream...just sayin'.

If they're doing it, it's probably just plain wrong.

It's fishing. How can fishing be wrong?

Yea, casting upstream is productive and reduces the chance of hooking one deep, but it is more work to make the spinner, spin.

Posted on: 5/25 5:53

Quote:

NewSal wrote:

Thanks for all the enlightenment in this thread Farmerdave, when do I pick up my degree in Farmerdave wisdom

You are not even close do earning a degree in the FarmerDave school of common courtesy.

First off, I made it fairly clear that I was mostly joking throughout this thread. I may not have used little winky faces everywhere, but there were many clues.

Also, your OP was way more serious than any response you got, yet you were surprised. Sounded to me like someone ticked you off because he fished upstream of you.

And I started reading your linked blog and laughed.

Maybe the problem is I didn't learn how to fish from the internet, but I don't view that as a problem.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I prefer less crowded streams, but on the occasion I do visit a crowded stream, I usually extend extra courtesy. Sometimes even when steelhead fishing.

Did you really think I didn't know that there are people out there that think that their way is the right way, so others should yield? Or that sometimes they even get bent out of shape, sometimes even when the other person does yield because they think they are not doing it right?

It's fishing for Pete sake, and if I ever get to the point of being bent out of shape by a perceived slight, I'll give it up.

Should the guy working downstream yield to the guy working his way up? Sure. But I don't care one way or the other. If he isn't yielding, then I yield and that way, neither of our days are ruined.

I am out there for the enjoyment and I find no enjoyment in conflict when I am on the stream.

Posted on: 5/25 5:55

Edited by FarmerDave on 2017/5/25 6:14:51
Edited by FarmerDave on 2017/5/25 6:26:38
Edited by FarmerDave on 2017/5/25 6:31:07

From florida
Dave, please don't tell anyone about the honey infused dry fly floatatnt. I prefer to stand in the middle of Penns Crick in my neck high waders casting either direction to rising fish. My double barreled fly rod in 4 and 5 wt. makes it easy. GG

Posted on: 5/25 6:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com