How to catch stocked Rainbows?

B

BerksFlyfisher88

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question! The Wyomissing Borough stocked Rainbow Trout in a location on the Wyomissing Creek. This was after Trout season started for a kid fishing rodeo. Some fish escaped being caught and are still there. I have tried a lot of flys to get them to rise. Fished early morning and late afternoon, with no luck. Then I managed to hook a 11 inch Rainbow using a red San Juan worm!!! After that nothing has worked and there no longer fooled by the San Juan. Can someone please give me some tips to get them to rise. Its really starting to become annoying, that I spend all my time there and getting no real results! Please someone HELP!!! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00163-20110718-1939.jpg
    IMG00163-20110718-1939.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 6
No disrespect meant and please take none but-
When I saw your outfit in the photo I felt like I was in a time warp back to late 50s,when I would have been wondering the same thing.
since I have sinned and gotten into spinning for salties I will defer to someone more with it.

dddd

don't diss the wonderrod.

fresh stocked rainbows? royal coachmen, across and down. biggity bam.

Shoot me a PM and I will take you through a couple Berks County streams.

Egg patterns work very well for stocked bows.

For Wyo Creek, a dry-dropper rig with a 16-18 beadhead anything always seems to take fish, stockers and wild alike.

That was my first rod and reel for fly fishing.
I wish I had it now.

Autos made sense fishing out of a pram for sunnies or bass.

sweet rod and reel btw

rainbows love eggs, if you don't have any PM me and I'll mail you out some.

Check out fish.state.pa.us You can find a list of stocked streams in your area. Also do a search for "class A" and "natural reproduction". There you will find a few lists of local streams that have wild trout in them. Once you get a few of those, you won't be thinking much of the stocked rainbows.

The conditions are pretty rough out there right now. Don't feel bad if you're not getting into a ton of fish. Buy a stream thermometer and if you get a temp of 70 or higher (for trout) then you should probably leave them be (unless you're fishing to toss one on your dinner plate) . They're not very tolerable of warmer water and sometimes the short struggle of fighting a fish may kill them.

All in all, keep asking questions and get out there and catch some fish!

Ryan

What size eggs should be made for trout? 1/2 inch or less? Just wondering how big I should make these things lol.

It varies. Most of mine are tied on hook sizes from 12-18. Think of eggs in one of those "Mike's" salmon egg jars. Thats probably my "typical" egg size, and I do make some smaller ones too.

I am one of the few in the category of "I like big eggs and I can not lie". I tie a bunch of size 10's for steelhead. I know a bunch of guys who will tie down to size 20, but that's ridiculous if you ask me. I use 10's and if no takers then I'll use 14's. If the action is hot then the 10's are moving a ton of fish. If it's an average to below average day then I'll downsize. Mine are probably the size of a typical marble. Check out the blog from the fall on this site. I did a step by step on my egg pattern. More durable too.

Ryan

I like to use pink san jauns for rainbows, they seem to really like the pink.
As for up top...I'm big into terrestrials, my go to is #16 beetle

For stocked trout I have fished with in MO....I kill them on San Juans in tan and pink and glo balls..

try about a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch for your glo bugs... (6mm or 8mm in metric...)

actually 3/8 is closer to 10mm... anyways 1/2 " is definitely too big

I can't believe no one quipped up the obvious: Yellow Powerbait!

jjsjigs wrote:

Just say what you were really thinking.......CORN

Quote:

jjsjigs wrote:

Just say what you were really thinking.......CORN

Too funny! Corn. What can't that vegetable do??

Back