Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How to catch monster trout

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
wouldn't that be like going to the mustang ranch looking for love or reasonable facsimile thereof?[tic]

Kind of. Like I said, I'm not a big fish hunter, but I am somewhat of a trophy hunter. Trophies are relative. A 12" fish is a trophy on a little brook trout trickle, one to admire. The same size fish is a "good" fish on Spring Creek, and a disgusting little small guy at Erie.

To the girl analogy (I'm married, so this doesn't fit, but it is a funny analogy):

Land an average looking girl from a bar full of ugly girls, and you feel proud of yourself, you got the trophy.

Land that same girl from a bar full of insanely hot girls, and you ain't so proud anymore.

What I'm saying is I'm ok with going to a bar full of ugly girls and getting the trophy, then going to a different bar the next night. Variety. There's more bars full of ugly chicks than ones full of hot chicks. And my enjoyment stems from seeing different bars and picking up good chicks at each. I don't understand all you folks who want to go to the same bar every night, and being dissapointed at available hot chicks because you're chasing that supermodel you'll never land.

Back to fishing. If I just want a big fish with a big fight, I'll go to Erie. Yeah, I spent an insane amount of money to get there, I fight the crowds for manmade fish that have been caught many times before. The overall experience is lousy, and I can't really be especially proud of my catch, since everyone else is landing similar fish, and the whole scenario is so unnatural. But man, the fight is really good. So yeah, Erie is kind of the mustang ranch of the fishing world!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 20:05

I was just kidding of course-
I and I suspect Mr.Mt.angler did most of the trophy hunting above lakes for spawning fish-

Posted on: 2011/1/2 21:19

From Johnstown, PA
Here in Pa Erie is a place where the trout are BIG but sometimes very difficult , instead of Erie the Raystown will provide you with 30" + lake trout all day everyday if you spend a million dollars on the electronics to find 'em and 2 million on the boat and the rest of the stuff you need. Then you go out and "yawn" jig spoons on a pod of 'em all the while watching the screen of the fish finder to "see" the take. The excitement is overwhelming. Trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. I'll take my day of 8" brookies broken up by an encounter with a bear , a crazy male ruffed grouse , and a red tail hawk swooping a grey squirrel. AND that cast i made right into the middle of a fallen tree top , without gettin stuck and catching that 9" brookie NOW THAT was a Trophy. I HAD a trophy wife , it's over rated , find many female friends that share the same views and ideas you do . and then start a new religion. Hold on the F.B.I. is here.........Again.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 6:32

From Johnstown, PA
LRSABecker.................How much for a dozen Butterworms? heh

Posted on: 2011/1/3 6:35

Lake trout are wusses-
leave em for the perch and other crappy fishermen.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 7:42

From Johnstown, PA
yeah pete........i understand they aren't even good to eat either , never ate any just from what i hear.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 8:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Osprey, I don't fish butterworms thats cheating. Bait is the devil.

Natives and Wilds only!

Posted on: 2011/1/3 10:28

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Clinton County, Pa.
In the fish's eye it's all bait! Mayflies included. LOL!

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:03

If you live where there is a yellow ned run the big browns will zero in on a Perch streamer fly-

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:43

From collegeville, pa
I think that the big fish hunting that mtangler is referring to is for your regular type trout fishing and not trib fishing (erie, ontario). I think they are like apples and oranges. If i catch a 20" trout on a great lake trib it's not that big of a deal, however if im chucking streamers on one of my local waters ang get one its way more satisfying.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:48

If Montana angler is talking Bozeman,Mt. trophy fishing he is heading to the Missouri which yields many trophies in the fall when the browns run out of the lakes on the Missouri to spawn.
a four pounder was considered good on the Yellowstone with no lakes but it takes a five pounder on the Missouri to rate trophy stature-

Posted on: 2011/1/3 21:05

govt - there is more to trib fishing than the great lakes/ocean and steelhead/salmon.

Fish move. We rate trophies compared to the other fish in the water they are in. Very frequently, those trophies are big for the water they are in because they didn't grow up in the water they are in. Find a stream that runs into a lake or a bigger, richer river, and you'll find trophies. If the larger water becomes marginal in summer and forces fish into the cooler tribs, all the better.

For instance, the biggest wild brookies I have caught were on streams with some sort of impoundment not far downstream. Likewise, I've caught some very nice wild browns from small streams not far upstream of where those streams run into the Allegheny, I'm sure the same is true of the Lehigh, Delaware, Pine Creek, etc. Fish the bottom end of a cool trib to a marginal stocked water, and you'll find the occasional monster hold-over.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 8:26

From collegeville, pa
pcary, i hear you....i think its more satisfying catching a brown that swam up from the Lehigh/Delaware than lake eerie....thats all.

jeff

Posted on: 2011/1/4 9:49

pcray when u mention catching nice wild browns in tribs to the allegheny , what size are we talking here and were they stocked trout streams that enter the allegheny ?

Posted on: 2011/1/4 18:35

Quote:
pcray when u mention catching nice wild browns in tribs to the allegheny , what size are we talking here and were they stocked trout streams that enter the allegheny ?

From a personal perspective, we're talking 15-20" from fairly small streams. I've seen bigger ones, and know people who get em, but never was able to get em myself. I just don't have it in me to be a trophy hunter. The guys that get em locate em, like I've located a few, then return to that spot at night.

I've caught fish that size from a number of streams that I believe to be wild browns that spend some time in the big river. A few are stocked streams, but most are either unstocked or not stocked in that particular section.

It's not that hard to find where they'd be. Focus on areas where the Allegheny is marginal. By marginal, I don't mean warmwater or coldwater, I mean the transition areas between those extremes, where summertime survival is "iffy" and depends on the severity of the summer. Find a coldwater trib with half decent water quality, if the water already holds wild browns, all the better. Fish the bottom few miles, especially in the summertime. Fishing seems to be better when the water is up, which is true of all browns.

And I use the Allegheny only as an example. I know the same is true of larger streams in general, like the Brokenstraw, Oil, Clarion, etc., though you can use common sense to tell if your more likely to catch wilds or holdovers based on the water.

The point is, if you define a "trophy" as a fish that significantly outsizes it's peers, that situation most often happens when the fish may have spent some of its life in bigger, richer waters where perhaps its less of a "trophy", and then migrated to the smaller waters where it's a monster.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 8:52

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com