Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Help nymphing

From Burke VA
Moon, not sure I agree or disagree but I don't think anyone said nymphing is harder, just different. They each have different challenges but I wouldn't describe either as easier. As far as rolling indicators and catching a fish within a half hour on the D....well not sure about that.

Posted on: 6/5 22:11

My opinion is, who cares.

I can crush fish euro nymphing. As long as I've got everything right. Or I can cast all day with no interest. You still have to dial it in to be consistent. Thats the game - consistency and confidence. Not being lucky and just lobbing into a riffle blindly with no thought regarding your rig. Reading the water is a big deal to be consistent as well.

Dries are AWESOME. Streamers can be INSANE. And nymphing can pull up some big fish, big numbers, and be fun as hell- especially euro nymphing when done right and you feel the take. Its all good, whatever or however you wanna do it!

*sorry for bringing back a 5 month old thread. But think I made a point.

Posted on: 11/8 16:18

From Nowheresville, PA
Because crushing fish is what it is all about

Posted on: 11/20 5:51

From South Central,PA
Jessed mentioned that tangles were a problem with the double fly rig. Another poster said try one fly for a while. I totally agree with that for the simple fact that he may be spending too much time fixing his rig and not fishing. Your odds of catching fish decrease big time the longer you have your line out the water. If you add up all the time you spend re-rigging, 3 hours of fishing might add up to being only an hour and half of actual fishing. Keep in mind others have mentioned tweaking the rig quite a bit for each situation. This also takes time. Moral of the story, practice your knots and get quick at it so you can get your fly in the water and catch fish!

Posted on: 2017/12/11 16:21

Cliché Meister. Forgot "game changer".

Posted on: 2017/12/11 19:14

I fish the Tully several times a week, unless it's blown out with high water. Been fishing it for almost 40 years. This year was an oddity regarding the caddis hatch, and I relied more on sub-surface caddis imitations than any other year. Yes you can catch fish there in any water situations with sub-surface imitations, from riffles to slow water pools. In fact, most of the fish I caught there this year were in slow pools.

So, I will lend this advice:

1) Caddis pupa are not static creatures, although I do catch fish dead-drifting a pupa. I cast upstream, fish the drift, then swing and/or create movement upward. Remember, they are trying to get to the surface to hatch into an adult.

2) I start with 5X tippet when they first appear in early May, then switch to 6x as the season progresses for 2 reasons: they become wary, and the caddis are larger in the early season.

3) Your imitation may be the downfall. If you want to see flies that I use and discuss tactics, send a pm. I live in Berks County near the TCO shop, you are welcome to stop by.

4) Do not have great expectations there if the water is around 300 cfs or above.

Every year I meet people fishing the Tully, and I help them. When I was young, I took in as much advice as I could. And I always took time to stop fishing to see what was going on around me. Seems like so many do not do this today, rely on what they can find on the internet.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 19:27

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com