HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Green Weenie

From Camp Hill
Quote:

PJHarrington wrote:
so what is the deal with light and and the fly and whem it work and if there is something you know can you tell please so i can learn.

Here is a pretty good article on the subject.

http://midcurrent.com/science/fish-eyesight-does-color-matter/

Posted on: 2012/8/16 14:31

From Glen Lyon
the color thing make sense and i always use chartruse when smallie fishing in day time and at nite time i use black and now it makes sense why this works and same should work for trout.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 11:09

From York
Maurice won't let me use them anymore. Says it's like using woims. However when he is working and I'm fishing......

Posted on: 2012/8/24 18:50

From New to Berks
Went out for a little while Monday morning, and I had to try one after reading this thread. (My usual go-to being a Woolly Bugger)

Didn't catch much, but caught more than last time out, so it was a winner for me. Drifted below a small indicator through the like spots.

Went home and the boy and I each tied a couple for next time. :)

Posted on: 2012/9/4 12:28

Quote:

Other caddis are bright green as well, but in my experience if you can find Rhyacophila fuscula you will catch fish on the weenie.

That's my theory as well. The sure work well in some streams (Clark's was mentioned; the Gunpowder in MD is another) and not at all in others. I've always attributed the difference to the relative abundance of Rhycophila caddis.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 20:59

From Johnstown, PA
yea................CC trout learn quickly about what hangs from those hemlocks , hypnotizes and obsesses them.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 11:18

From Cleona, Pa
For those of you who don't catch fish on the weenie, the problem is confidence. If your not confident in it, it will not work. If you don't like it because its too easy to tie it wont work. Its all about confidence, confidence, confidence. If you don't like it you also won't fish it properly, proper depth, speed, drift etc. I've caught fish on that stupid easy fly also. When the fish are on it they are usually hot on it. In the summer it works great on spring and BFC.

Case in point, on another fly. Rainbow warrior, everyone says its a awesome fly, well I didn't buy it , hardly ever worked for me. So one day I tied double RW on a nymph rig and said to myself I'm going to get this fly to work. So I exclusively used that fly that one day and caught me lots of fish. So now I use it a little more than I used to. It still is not my favorite.

It's all about confidence, and your always going to have your favorite flys that get tied on first. However though if your buddy is busting fish on the fly you hate, you may want give it a honest try and you may change your mind.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 11:03

From SE Pa.
This is what every serious trout fisherman needs
http://www.cabelas.com/fishing-tools- ... 8482-color-c-lector.shtml

Posted on: 2013/2/3 11:25

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I just got some Vladi style green weenies online. Haven't had the opportunity to fish them yet, but I think they'll be great.

Source is YellowCreekFlies

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:23

From Shrewsbury, PA
+1 on th Tungstem Rainbow Warrior. This fly and the Frenchie just should not catch fish, but they do.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 13:18

From Cleona, Pa
The frenchie catches fish like no tomorrow. Love that fly

Posted on: 2013/2/4 20:25

What it be good to use one this time of year?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 10:50

From Washington State
I use the Green Weenie often in lakes in the Pacific Northwest and have caught a number of brown trout over 20 inches long using it. I tie it without weight, and it has a tantalizing wiggle when it is fished, using an erratic retrieve. That action is ruined if it is tied with a bead head. Most of the large brown trout were caught in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 0:21

From Valley Forge, Pa
I have had good success with them fished dead drift under an indicator as a caddis larva. You can use weighted or unweighted.

I had one particular day on a chester county stream where there were a lot of inch worms hanging down from a tree by their threads and the trout were comig up and taking them after they hung there for several seconds.No one else was catching fish andI had a field day using unweighted weenies fished down stream on a fairly long line while draging them to represent angling inch worms.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 15:22

From York, PA
Team GW....I fish it like any other nymph under an indicator and have great success.....on this "junk fly"

Posted on: 2013/2/10 10:40

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com