Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Green Weenie

Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
The success of the GW has a lot to do with stream conditions and the intensity and angle of the sun. Under the right conditions it is deadly and under the wrong conditions it will actually spook fish. Same for the pink and red SJW. Actually this applies to all colors not just those particular flies.

There is a scientific reason why certain colors are more apt to work at certain times and if you read up on light and wavelengths you may be able to conclude the why and realize when you should use certain colors.

Do you have any links? I foresee Googling this troublesome.....

Posted on: 2012/8/3 17:11

Has anyone tried them fishing in the West?

And are they popular around the world, such as Europe, UK, New Zealand, Argentina etc.?

Posted on: 2012/8/4 12:10

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
And are they popular around the world, such as Europe, UK, New Zealand, Argentina etc.?

They are now, Dwight.

At the Youth Championship here in 2007, a recommended list of flies was passed to all the teams when they arrived. The Portuguese team didn't believe the green weenie was real. After the last day of competition on the Little J, one of the kids from Portugal asked what the green weenie was. A kid from the UK cut the green weenie from his leader and handed it to him. The kid from Portugal threw it on the ground in disgust, because he still couldn't believe it worked.

The UK team finished 3rd. Portugal was last. They know now...

Posted on: 2012/8/4 12:27

sender, when I get a chance PM coming

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:13

From Philadelphia
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
The success of the GW has a lot to do with stream conditions and the intensity and angle of the sun. Under the right conditions it is deadly and under the wrong conditions it will actually spook fish. Same for the pink and red SJW. Actually this applies to all colors not just those particular flies.

There is a scientific reason why certain colors are more apt to work at certain times and if you read up on light and wavelengths you may be able to conclude the why and realize when you should use certain colors.

I will not say I disagree with this because I have no basis in fact to do so. That said, I can't say I've found this to be true in my personal fishing experience. I've had great days using the inchworm (my version of the GW) when it was sunny, cloudy, rainy, off color water, clear water, etc. I can say I have not had sucess when there are no leaves on the trees. It's a good fly to have in your arsenal and my GO TO fly when searching in the spring through mid fall. However I know people that use the GW year round with success.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 14:11

There is a big free-living caddis nymph, Rhyacophila fuscula, which is bright green underneath and has very large populations in some PA streams. A lot of people refer to the green weenie as an inchworm pattern, but my guess is that fish see a lot more of these big caddis nymphs. Other caddis are bright green as well, but in my experience if you can find Rhyacophila fuscula you will catch fish on the weenie.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/4 19:25

I think midnightangler is on to something. I only use the GW in chartruse. Have tried other colors without success.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 21:05

From Glen Lyon
this fly sounds interesting i may have to try it.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 21:14

From Mount Joy, PA
Grease it, sink it, suspend it... It's almost akin to the venerable wooly bugger in that there is no wrong way to fish it.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 8:58

From Ephrata, PA
I'm certain Midnightangler is right. Every stream that I've had mondo success on w/ the green weenie are streams where emerald and olive beadheads work just as good.

That being said, I've been fishing a northern Lancaster brookie stream these past two weeks and having killer success on the GW. I usually drop it behind a big white wulff (bobber?). This set up is working great for me lately. Been taking big natives on both the WW and the GW.

I've also taken several SMB on it! Great little fly!
With the GW, beadheads, no beads, doesn't seem to matter when the fish are keyed into them. As others have said, usually I get a take when the plop onto the water, however, I've caught some just letting it drift along in the current. Even caught them stripping it in.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 12:36

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I tie extra small bead chain eyes on mine. Seems to give it just a little bit more wiggle. I catch a ton of fish on them every year. Give me that and a Griffiths Gnat and I'm covered for the year.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 13:04

From Glen Lyon
so what is the deal with light and and the fly and whem it work and if there is something you know can you tell please so i can learn.

i fish hickory creek today again and have been doing good but today fish the green weeny fly and got nothing so i do not know why some people say it is is good all the time and catch fish and some say it depends on the light i so not understand. i fish it under bobber thing and pull in like streamer but nothing.

what do you think i like to know

Posted on: 2012/8/8 21:16

From Clinton County, Pa.
I think everyone should quit fishing the Green Weenie! Seriously they do work. I sight fish to the banks in mid day. Last week I caught an 18" wild brown from Spring Creek. He was tight against the bank and jumped the fly as soon as it hit the water. Drift it like a nymph, either high stick or with an indicator and be prepared to be impressed. I was years ago and still am.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 20:34

From Bel Air, MD
When I fished the Shenandoah National Park for brookies, a lot of locals tie the weenie in pink...can't explain it, but it works there. For you guys on the board that fish brookie streams in PA a lot, I would be interested to know if it works.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 21:15

From Rural Ridge, PA
I have fished the Green Weenie successfully for years. I haven't seen any difference in fishing it in any type of weather. I generally fish it with a dropper but I've had luck fishing it by itself. The droppers I generally use are the Zug Bug, Pheasant Tail, Hares Ear, and Cocky Knight. All have worked equally well.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 22:59

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com