Good rods for chucking big meat?

D

dubthethorax

preferably in the 6 weight range. Was looking at the SC bank robber, but any other alternatives would be great. I was maybe considering one of the Sage bass rods as well. Obviously, the cheaper the better since It's not going to be for everyday usage.

The Sage bass rod (actually they make a panfish, small mouth and large mouth version and I'm talking about the smallie rod) with the matching Sage line can toss a large wind resistent fly country mile but it's under 8' and the line is more like 10wt. It's not a trout rod and due to the length, it's not an ideal rod for wade fishing, especially when you start getting into deeper water. But if fishing from a boat this thing is great.

I don't own one but a friend does and I have tried it enough times to know I wouldn't waste my money on one unless I did a lot of bass fishing from a boat.

TFO BVK would be on my list to test cast

BVK or maybe an Echo 84 in 6wt

I have been wanting a St. Croix Bank Robber, but the bank account said NO! So as a much cheaper compromise, I picked up a Combo from Bass Pro's Fly Shop last week: "White River Fly Shop Heat Rod and Hobbs Creek Reel Complete Fly Outfit"--$150. Stiff 4 piece, 7'10" out the door with custom loaded line. I have it in the truck to throw some MEAT tonight. Leeches, Keelhook Stonecats, Muddlers, Sculpins, and Galloup Dungeons. If it does not perform well, it will become a bass rod for my teenagers.

The TFO TiCr x in a 6 wt is what I throw. Its considered a saltwater 6, so its one of the few 6 wts that have a fighting butt. I cannot say enough about the TiCr coating on the rod, it really does take a beating.

Another one to take a look at would be a ross Rx. Its a sweet rod with a great warranty.

I just got a 6 wt sage flight on close out for the same purpose.

I have a redington CPX 8-weight two piece. It's the best streamer rod I've owned. I will never own a four piece as my main streamer rod again, ever.

I also own a redington predator, which is also a great rod for streamers. The redington pursuit runs $160, which is hard to beat. For budget rods, it's a good brand.

Sweet, thanks guys. I'm actually considering building one now. Any good suggestions on blanks?

Look at batson rx8 blanks there super stiff and not that pricey.

I fished a 6 wt Bank Robber for a full day chucking meat to smallies on the Potomac on a float trip. I thought I would have wanted a 7 wt, but I had no problem reaching out with casts when I needed to, and I landed a 15 incher with it. At the same time though, I regularly fish a Cabelas 3 Forks 6 wt and I've never had a problem with that either.

I use a sage xp 690 for that exact purpose - If the sage vxp is similar (and some say it is) you might want to look at it- they sell the blanks and you can test cast a finished rod before you buy blanks - thats why I stopped buying blanks from companies that didn't have finished rods to test first.

I love the loomis NRX for chucking sinking lines with half of a chicken on the end :-D

After i got the 5th for my topic of throwing the unconventionals, you guys have some nerve talking about throwing some meat with a flyrod!

A whole chicken ....sure we believe you!!!!

Fredrick wrote:
I love the loomis NRX for chucking sinking lines with half of a chicken on the end :-D

Those hideous cannons are on sale right now for 25-50% off. Do you put 950 grain line on 6wt nrx to load it for 30 foot cast? Lol. Seriously though, it excels at tossing line distance.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Look at batson rx8 blanks there super stiff and not that pricey.

I fish an RX7 blank for basses here in the city and as Paco suggested, the price is nice, so I dont mind too much if it gets dirty.

PM sent

Bank Robber, Redington Predator, ECHO Ion, any saltwater 6wt.

jdaddy wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Those hideous cannons are on sale right now for 25-50% off. Do you put 950 grain line on 6wt nrx to load it for 30 foot cast? Lol. Seriously though, it excels at tossing line distance.

I haven't fished one for trout but if you want distance and accuracy when casting a chicken this is the rod to get .

Another suggestion wood be the Beulah blue water in a 7/8. These stick are cannons. I have the 10/11 for musky and hands down the best streamer rod I've thrown.

Back