Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Fly Fishing Hacks

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Similar to Mr. Mustards, I just keep an old rubber welcome mat in my trunk for changing out of waders. Placed on the ground when removing them, and then I put my wet wading shoes on them for the ride home so that water doesn't continue to soak through..

Posted on: 2013/11/13 16:58

From Blue Bell, PA
Instead of trashing your cars floor mats, grab some carpet samples at a carpet store and use them to stand on.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 17:18

From North East PA
While not directly a hack, it is something I think is important, especially if you are a winter fisherman - Take dry clothing in a "dunk bag" that you keep in the vehicle.

It's not a question of IF you will fall in, but WHEN.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 17:46

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

I never understood the need to stand on something. My Dad has a bag for his wading boots that has a removable mat to stand on.

Here is what I do: I slip off one of my cowboy boots, then put that leg in the waders and that wading boot on, slip the other cowboy boot off, and repeat with that leg.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:25
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:29

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
BC,

I remember that AITF and I laughed my but off now just as much as I did than.... Thanks!

Don

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:42

From Da 'Berg, PA
keep a small ziploc bag in your pocket, when you snip off a fly just drop it in. keeps moisture out of your fly box and reminds you what flies did or didn't work, once you get home.

also, if you have a 4x4 don't forget your AAA card - AWD won't stop you getting stuck, but it will mean you do get stuck in more difficult places....

burts bees lip balm (ask the wife first. or don't) stops rod ferrules sticking.

if you have an SUV tailgate, always put the car keys through the latch on the floor - that way if you slam the gate down shut and haven't put your keys in your waders, it won't lock you out miles from anywhere in a no cell zone...

your wife does not want to clean the delicious trout you caught her.

if someone steps in the stream five yards below you, and asks 'do you mind if i fish down in front of you' always reply "thank you for asking, sure.... do you mind if I take a #censor# here ? "

GB

Posted on: 2013/11/13 21:16

Quote:

dsmith1427 wrote:
BC,

I remember that AITF and I laughed my but off now just as much as I did than.... Thanks!

Don

I'm glad you enjoyed the video Don. It came to mind as I was posting my "wader" tutorial.

I watched that show all the time when it was in syndication on TV Land. It would have been better had I figured out how to embed the video.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 21:24

From Lansdale
You can use the magnets they sell that are rubber coated, OR you can put masking tape on the side that will contact the paint.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 9:57

Quote:

KeithS wrote:
You can use the magnets they sell that are rubber coated, OR you can put masking tape on the side that will contact the paint.

It's not the magnet itself that is harmful to the clearcoat. It is the dirt between it and the clearcoat, and the movement taking it on and off.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 23:46

From Cato, NY
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Quote:

KeithS wrote:

It's not the magnet itself that is harmful to the clearcoat. It is the dirt between it and the clearcoat, and the movement taking it on and off.

I have those magnetic rod holders and what I did is I took the 2mm foam that I make beetles and ants with and super glued a small piece on each magnet and have never scratched my paint. It works really well and highly recommend doing that.

I also use a wader mat and when Im done I put it back in my wading boot/wader tote so that the SUV doesn't get filthy. It works geat.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 8:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Ok, I read some, but not all, so sorry if I repeat any:

1. Make your leaders just short enough that, when the fly is on the hook keeper, the fly line-leader knot is just off the rod tip. So after walking, when you unhook the fly, you don't gotta work that knot through the tippy top. That's usually about the correct length anyway.

2. If you have to make the leader longer than #1, when you want to hook it up to the hook keeper, wrap it around the reel handle and then back up to the hook keeper. Lets you do #1 with a little longer leader.

3. When tying clinch knots, don't wrap the tag end around the line. Grab the line and tag end with one hand and twist the fly itself.

4. When tying any knots, if you have trouble seeing the line detail to "hit the right holes", hold the line against a light, solid background. At dusk, when this is most difficult, the sky is the lightest thing around.

5. It's much better to apply floatant BEFORE the fly gets wet!

6. To keep marital bliss, the most important thing is the boots. When dirty, put them in a plastic tub to keep the car clean. When you get home, if you leave everything else in the car for a bit, make sure those boots come out right away.

7. Standard rule of thumb. When getting ready to fish, the fly rod is the LAST thing you get out and set up. When returning to the car, it's the FIRST thing to get put away. This prevents having to lean it somewhere, which is how rods get broken.

8. When wading water that's a bit too fast, always angle downstream. Everyone knows to turn their side to the current, but it's better to walk further up, cross angling down, and then continue up.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 14:45

From NE OH
You have obviously never seen my wife's car Pcray I call it the dumpster-mobile... She wishes her car was as clean as my fishing truck

Posted on: 2013/11/15 15:44

From OH
Rod/Reel tube made from PVC pipe.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 16:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I've settled on buying good quality flies. I always end up picking a dozen or two each year from low priced outfits, like the Fly Shack. They look fine at first. But I always regret it in the end.

They don't stay afloat, and start coming apart quickly. If you spend twice as much at a good local fly store, they work better, and last 4 times as long.

(by "work better", I don't mean that they necessarily catch more fish by looking better. I mean that if a dry fly, they float better. If a nymph, they sink better. etc.)

Posted on: 2013/11/15 16:19

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com