Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Flip Pallot's casting

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
When I first started casting I used a 45 degree angle. Now I implement overhead, 45 and complete side arm for different situations. I also "sway" when I'm making larger casts. It's kind of like making a longer throw with a football or javelin, I feel the inertia helps with throwing more line.... but might just be me.

I have also felt pretty comfortable in the last year or so making backwards casts. When standing at a bank and casting to where the stream is flowing left to right, I feel a backwards cast for a right hander is better to get your line in a more ideal place and have to use less mends.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 15:40

From Chester County
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
When I first started casting I used a 45 degree angle. Now I implement overhead, 45 and complete side arm for different situations. I also "sway" when I'm making larger casts. It's kind of like making a longer throw with a football or javelin, I feel the inertia helps with throwing more line.... but might just be me.

I have also felt pretty comfortable in the last year or so making backwards casts. When standing at a bank and casting to where the stream is flowing left to right, I feel a backwards cast for a right hander is better to get your line in a more ideal place and have to use less mends.

Lefty Kreh is a "swayer". I find using his sidearm style with a little "swaying" of the hips helps me with longer casts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDewXIM_sAc

Posted on: 2009/12/3 16:05

From NW PA
I never noticed it until I started attempting spey casting with my switch rods, but I use the drag of the water on the tip of my fly line quite a bit when fishing my single handed rods. Line directly below you? lift up as much as you can so that only the tip of the line is dragging on the water, do a quick haul and launch the line back out in front of you at 90 degrees to where it was, dangling the current to your side. If you have too much line out to pull most of it off the water by lifting the tip, just strip some in. I'm still lousy at spey casting, but at least now I understand why the line on the water as an anchor is so important.

My father and I learned how to fly fish together. He has a very beautiful, relaxed casting stroke with nice loops. I almost always double haul, cast side arm and under hand, and try to keep my line out of the air as much as possible. We cast very differently.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 16:27

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

SonofZ3 wrote:
I never noticed it until I started attempting spey casting with my switch rods, but I use the drag of the water on the tip of my fly line quite a bit when fishing my single handed rods. Line directly below you? lift up as much as you can so that only the tip of the line is dragging on the water, do a quick haul and launch the line back out in front of you at 90 degrees to where it was, dangling the current to your side. If you have too much line out to pull most of it off the water by lifting the tip, just strip some in. I'm still lousy at spey casting, but at least now I understand why the line on the water as an anchor is so important.

Sonof,

You are using the water to load the rod....very resourceful. This is an effortless way to fish small streams rather than doing full roll casts.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 21:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com