Fishing streamers with a 3 wt

C

curtrein

So thinking of trying a different method this year for opening day. I usually fish this fast moving mountain stream. I wanna try steamers this year instead of the regular nymphs. Should I use a sink tip line with a short leader, do I use a regular 7 ft leader with split shot? What do u guys do when trying to streamer fish a fast mountain stream early in the season?? Thanks for your help!

Depends on how deep you go. I only fish 3 wt on every stream. I haven't really found a place that I needed anything bigger. That being said it really depends on how deep your trying to get. I've never used a sink tip line although I own two. So usually I'll just add shot as needed. But the mountain streams I've been fishing the bead and lead on the fly is enough for me as there very shallow. And if the waters fast like you said shot will most likely get you down the fastest.

Use your standard floating line and weight either the leader with shot or the fly itself with some lead wraps if you'd like to get down. It may not be necessary to use additional weight. Sink tips will be useless on small, fast flowing streams.

If you're having trouble turning over the fly, try less weight, a smaller streamer or shorten your leader to 3-4 ft. If you're still having trouble, use a 5wt rod.

Definetly no need for a sink tip unless the stream you're fishing is large. As other's have said just use a weighted fly or split shot. Keep the streamer relatively small/light as a 3wt isn't going to throw big ugly articulated stuff. I'd suggest tying up size 10 or so buggers of varying weights and colors.
I know my 3wt won't throw streamers much bigger than that. Buggers are great on little native streams because you can nymph it, swing it, or strip it. That versatility really comes in handy because most of the time there is only 1 angle of approach that won't spook the fish and it is dictated by the terrain.

May be a bit late, but. . . I have tried using a link tip line made especially for fishing streamers. I suppose it has it's place in fishing deep water, but I I would not consider then in 99% of the streams in PA.m I routinely fish streamers on 3 and even 2 weight outfits. Advice above regarding using smaller streamer is key when using ultralight outfits. Good luck.

Back