Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fishing small wild trout runs

From Johnstown, PA
pcray.......those leader formulas for tight brush i got out of "Trout Tactics" Humphries book are probably George Harveys but whatever the case they do work and they are 5 1/2' so you have plenty of line out past the tip top guide. There has been a great year so far for hatches on the small streams , some of the best i've ever seen. Bonzozo..........try a downwing pattern caddis or stonefly with a foam extended body , tied seperately on a needle , tied in at the bend , with a nicely visable wing of z-lon or zing or whatever you like. Floatation and durability matter on small streams. GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:09

From Pittsburgh
I take my regular leader formula - which comes out to 11.5 feet in length - and cut all of the dimensions in half. This gives me a leader of almost 6 feet in length that works fine

Posted on: 2013/6/20 8:05

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Bonzoso wrote:
Thanks, lot of good info here. Sounds to me like my main problem was a 9 ft rod and a 9 ft. leader!. Didn't even think about shortening up the leader. I do have an old 6'6 fiberglass rod that I started out on years ago. Will have to dig it out of the mothballs. I was also obsessted with trying to stay as far away from good looking spots as possible and casting to them. Probably should take more of a still hunting approach to get as close as possible. Low and slow. Thanks again.

Dear Bonzoso,

This is one of the great myths of fly fishing. A 30 foot cast requires 30 feet of line and leader, if you do it with a rod that is 3 feet shorter it means that 3 more feet of line and leader is outside the rod to the rear.

The physical features of the stream such as brush and trees may make it more difficult to cast with a 9 foot rod so you may want a shorter rod for those reasons. However if you are casting 25 or 30 feet you'll still get snagged on the back cast.

One tip with dry flies is cast to a sunny or less shaded spot and expect a strike as the fly drifts into a darker less shady spot. The fish will almost always be holding in the darker water even on cloudy days.

P.S. I'm with troutbert, find a stream that is easier to fish and once you gain more experience you can try the real bushwhacking stuff.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/6/22 19:05
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Ohio
Try a 7.5' 5x knotless leader. The knots in a knotted leader get hung up on everything in a small stream.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 15:26

From Bucks County
Kistler is particularly brushy. Also because the water is often slow and meandering, so the fish can spook easily. Try a higher gradient, plunge pool type of brookie stream. They are easier to fish, and you can get pretty close to the pools without spooking.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 9:29

From S.E. PA
Don't be afraid to loose flies. Hit any and all good water you can. Upstream or down depends on the specific situation. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 20:06

From Clearfield
My local knowledge base set me up with a braided leader tied to tippet ring tied to tippet......turns over everything lays nicely on the water in my opinion

Posted on: 2013/7/5 17:00

From Lehigh Valley
You should check out Joe Humphreys "Casting in Tight Brush" video...even my non FFing friend were entertained.

Stealth is a huge factor...this can mean crawling around to get into position. I've even used a knee pad so you can rest on a rock or something...otherwise your legs can get sore from squatting all day

A shorter rod would help, I have a 6' 2wt for these situations...its like a wet noodle but you can throw loops rigth off your hip. If you're stuck with a longer rod, you can always choke up...

Posted on: 2013/7/11 12:44

kistler is an unusually tough small stream for casting, at least upstream of the road. also, with its swampy headwaters and flat terrain, it may not be the coolest in the current high heat for you or the fish. just get a shorter rod, seek out brookie streams in ravines.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:23

From Ferguson Twp.
Wow, talk about small stream 101. This is a must read for anyone looking to start fishing these size streams. Perhaps this could become a sticky or whatever they're called. Unless I missed it the only thing I would add is consider a good set of knee pads, they will save waders and knees.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 8:36

From Lancaster
Most of the time when I fish these small drainages for wild trout I just wear my Redwing work boots (no hip boots or waders). They are comfortable, offer good support to the feet on rough or steep terrain and practically force me to stay out of the water. Staying out of the water is always a good tactic when fishing small streams. Rock hopping across the stream at almost any location is usually not a problem. I always fish the side of the stream that keeps my shadow off of the water if sun is a factor. Never step on any log or debris that makes contact with the water. These are just a few tactics that I like to use to minimize the amount of fished spooked.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 13:38

From LV
IMHO Kistler Run is too small to fish, however if you must fish it, sneek up on the locations you want to fish, you may have to crawl, but then drop the fly into the water without casting.
An AMD stream I fished last Thursday was too tight to cast, so I just pulled out some line and flipped the fly into the water or, dropped it in, one fish came out from under a big boulder and took my fly was 11 inches. All the other fish were small.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:52

From Ohio
Quote:
You should check out Joe Humphreys "Casting in Tight Brush" video

Good info on casting and approach in this video. Joe explains the bow and arrow cast very well, that alone makes it worth watching.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:41

From Ferguson Twp.
Agreed, along with several other types of good to know casts.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 7:12

From Couldn't Care Less
Really good stuff in this thread.

Quote:
troutbert wrote:

There are many small streams that are not thick with brush, so the casting is much easier. Fish one of those streams instead, and you'll find it much more enjoyable.

Few times I've gone small stream fishing they have had thick brush. Where does one find these less "thick with brush" small streams?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com