Fishing After The Fall Stocking

Fredrick

Fredrick

We just had are Fall stocking on are Fly stretch down here in Delaware County and I wanted to know what flies would you use during the first week after stocking and how long does it take for the trout to start eating insects....

In my experiences: Wooly buggers, minnow imitations, and large nymphs (any color or shape) work the best. The fish are just looking for something to eat. * of course to could tie a big ball of brown dubbing to a hook shank so it looks like a food pellet. :-D

For the fish to become acclimated to flies and hatches should only take a few days to a week.

MKern
The fish are just looking for something to eat. * of course you could tie a big ball of brown dubbing to a hook shank so it looks like a food pellet. :-D

Yeah, I acually bought some pellet flies from my fly shop and tried splashing them on the water and the trout didn't look at it, but I have had luck using streamer patterns, wooly buggers and muddler minnows. I quess I can't complain though I haven't gotten skunked yet but I only get one fish each outting...

woollly buggers! my favorite fall stocking fly. i would also try anything that the newly stocked fish can key in on. pink san jaun worms, meta-eggs, flashy caddis emergers or nymphs(prince nymph or zug bug). dont forget though as the fish become acustomed to the stream ....cress bugs, sow bugs, shrimp, midges and BWO's(on warmmer days). good luck all!

Hi, I'm tom..."Hi Tom..." and i'm a stock-a-holic.

I've been hitting the local put and take lake frr an hour or so ever now and then since they stocked and have been doing best on dries. I have a black gnat immitation and adams in 14 that have been working very well. It warmed up this week and the water has been boiling. Love watching the bait dunkers cringe when I release those fish. Been taking them all on top. Had some hits on olive buggers but only a couple of takers compared to the surface action.

Back