Fish Pictures

MKern

MKern

I think with the recent deluge of pictures I remembered a seminar that I attended at the Carlisle FLy Show a couple years ago.

It was about taking better pictures. Good presentation and the thing that I remembered the most was this:

If you look at a picture of a fish and it is still alive, its eye will look down. If it is dead (or close to death), its eye will look straight out.

Now this isn't 100%, but does stick pretty close.

ok how many people after this post went to the pictures section and tried out this theory... I know I did and didn't see any fish not looking down in the few pictures I looked at lol. Wonder if they're just thinking of getting back in the water and they're looking at their goal lol.

nice little stat though.

brooktrout.jpg

thats a big brook trout...

not sure - i just googled it because I thought this thread needed some "fish pics" :)

That brookie looks like one you would see caught in either Gods Lake or Gods River in Manitoba, Canada. Those waters hold some of the biggest brook trout in the world. I aspire to get there one day. It's strictly catch and release there.

caught this one at meadow run sunday is about 17 inches on a black woolyworm sans the red tail or you could call it a woolybugger witha really short tail....

I do not agree with that at all... every fish is different.

Here is a Penns Creek Brown
n31709574_33061522_2149.jpg

Tully brown
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/2403_562462793208_31709574_34285884_7532523_n.jpg[/img

Spring Creek Brown
[img]http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs018.snc1/2547_562381725668_31709574_34283394_2377578_n.jpg

And these have eyes looking down
n31709574_34357906_4733861.jpg

n31709574_34357904_5752804.jpg

Spring Creek
n31709574_34348085_3503021.jpg

flipnfly wrote:
caught this one at meadow run sunday is about 17 inches on a black woolyworm sans the red tail or you could call it a woolybugger witha really short tail....

Either that net is about 3 ft in diameter, or that fish is not as long as you say... just an observation.

YOU KILLED THE FIRST TwO FISH IN THAT SERIES! :lol:

I dont believe that either. Sounds like an old-wives tale. But in this situation it might be an old fly-fishermans tale ;-)

I have seen trout that look like they are looking at me, but I don't think that would hold up in a study. I'm sure there would be mixed results. For example, I killed this one by laying it in the grass. IT IS STILL LOOKING DOWN. CREEPY. LOL.

lmfao jake! :lol:

A trouts eyes are positioned how they have been feeding. If there down they are looking on the bottom they stay that way after you catch them, cause they get stuck. They get use to staring in one direction all day, were ever the food is. look at the eyes to get an idea of were to fish if there up, use drys down, use nymphs in between, experiment.

Look at both eyes next time--they're usually crossed from setting the hook. They straighten out (or down) again when released.

tmaguire69 wrote:
A trouts eyes are positioned how they have been feeding. If there down they are looking on the bottom they stay that way after you catch them, cause they get stuck. They get use to staring in one direction all day, were ever the food is. look at the eyes to get an idea of were to fish if there up, use drys down, use nymphs in between, experiment.

OK with all due respect....that the craziest thing I ever heard...well maybe not ever but right up there.

I have NEVER seen a trouts eyes or any fish's eyes pointing up.

They point down when photographed during a quick C&R. If out of the water or under stress they glaze over straight out....when dead, the turn to X's :-D

My best over the years...

aw46cn.jpg

akcrh4.jpg

2gvrcb5.jpg

zlzmz6.jpg

or475t.jpg

wgojh0.jpg

avjurm.jpg

fuqf7k.jpg

xm6b0p.jpg

sngnpg.jpg

29bvrb.jpg

vh80t5.jpg

2mm906v.jpg

I vote number 2 and the last one as your best pics...keep it up.

I like the nubbed fin the best

29bvrb.jpg

Looks lie the original #2 is gone????

Back