Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: First time fishing wets help.

Quote:

Keith wrote:
I've also just started fishing some soft hackles. Been using 2 fly tandems. My question is should I be using splitshot when fishing them?

With some exceptions, no. They were designed to be fished near the surface. In fact, sometimes the question you should be asking yourself if "should I be using floatant on the top fly?"

Exceptions:

1) You can always fish a soft hackle as a nymph. They work great that way, but then again, so do nymphs.

2) If you want extreme vertical movement, when fishing a caddis hatch for example. A small amount of shot will get the fly down so that you can make it rapidly rise to the surface by letting the line so tight and lifting the rod tip. You can usually accomplish the same thing, however, without shot by careful mending (and maybe by using a fly tied on a heavier hook.)

3) Sometimes in winter, I'll add a bit of shot to fish deeper pools.

I'm sure there are other exceptions, but in my experience, they're few.

I'm also sure you'll get other opinions.

Posted on: 4/26 8:40

From Pennsylvania
Had a much better day yesterday with hook ups. I caught most of the fish and finally got a decent 13" brown. Thanks for the advice. I was keeping my rod tip low n that was the big problem.

Been catching Lots of the smaller stream bred browns these things.

There any simple leader recipes you haveforfishing these?
I tie all my own leaders. I would think something simple would suffice. Maybe even have a sighted tied in for when I run into the spot where I would fish em more like a nymph.

I'm thinking also of trying some tippet rings for these(I fish 2) as it would make tying the dropper fly super easy.

Posted on: 4/26 11:49

Quote:

Redfin wrote:
Had a much better day yesterday with hook ups. I caught most of the fish and finally got a decent 13" brown. Thanks for the advice. I was keeping my rod tip low n that was the big problem.

Been catching Lots of the smaller stream bred browns these things.

There any simple leader recipes you haveforfishing these?
I tie all my own leaders. I would think something simple would suffice. Maybe even have a sighted tied in for when I run into the spot where I would fish em more like a nymph.

I'm thinking also of trying some tippet rings for these(I fish 2) as it would make tying the dropper fly super easy.

I throw wets with a nymphing leader, sighter attached, not only for ease of switching between nymphs/wets, but like you mentioned I like to fish wets on a full drift, first half fished as if dead drifting nymphs, then swing once they get past me

Posted on: 4/26 14:44

Also, to supplement Redietz great info on wets, if you are a reader check out Dave Hughes books on wet flies, I really enjoyed reading both of them and learned alot. Fishing wets is my favorite way to fish, good luck to you!

Posted on: 4/26 14:48

From Pennsylvania
I have been told that about that book. Need to get it. Thanks

Posted on: 4/26 17:37

Just ordered Dave Hughes book. Thanks for info. 2 more questions to hold me over until I get it. Should I be tight lining and how far apart should my flies be when fishing them in tandem?

Posted on: 4/26 21:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com