First Time for Steelhead this Fall

U

Upstream

I have been invited to go to the Salmon River in NY for a Steelhead weekend in late October. Most of the guys in the group fish spinning equipment. I may start out with spinning gear as well. But, I would like to try my luck with fly gear. I don't really know much about this and would like any input you guys can provide about gear, techniques and patterns. Thanks!

I use a 10' 7wt rod that is a mid flex. An Orvis TLS. It is a good steelhead rod. At that time of year you would probably be better off with an 8wt because of the Salmon.

I use a 9 ft 8 wt and it handles the kings just fine. Bounce egg patterns on the bottom or swing streamers, that seems to work best for me.

Thanks for the responses. I have a few follow up questions.

What size and color eggs seem to work well for you?

Do you fish them dead drift under an indicator?

What kind of streamers do you like?

Buggers and slumpbusters are good for swinging, orange and yellow are good colors. If the water is low and clear then more natural colors will work, like white and brown.

Egg size varies on conditions/water color. When the water is stained then you can use larger eggs. Size 10 and 12 are good sizes, orange, yellow, amber, red are good colors. Dead drifted under a thingamabobber. It is important that the offering is ticking the bottom.

I agree with beeber2. I would also recommend that you stop in at Fat Nancy's and ask them about the egg color and size. They were able to set me up with the right size and color and they even told me how to rig them.
Also stone flies. Most of the stones I saw up there were black in color.

get ready to get addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you tie, get some glo-bug yarn and tie some eggs and sucker spawn. The materials are cheap and they are easy to tie once you do a couple. I have seen packs of assorted color glo-bug yarn which would be a good way to get started. I also use size 10 scud hooks for these as I loose more Steelhead to the hook not getting deep enough than breaking off.

My nymph rig is usually a 9 foot leader with a 3x florocarbon tippet and a sucker spawn as my top fly and an 18" piece of 3x florocarbon tied off of the bend and a stonefly at the end. Preferably a weighted stonefly nymph. I add weight above the Suckerspawn to get the flies to bounce or roll on the bottom. You want a dead drift.

Keep adjusting your weight so your flies are coming back to you slower than the surface current and change flies if you are not getting any takes. One day they like pink and the next peach. If you were with other flyfishers you could each rig with different colors and go from there. Any of your trout flies will also work including Hare's ears, Prince Nymphs, etc. Black stone flies in size 14 to 8 just seem to be a mainstay.

It is really just trout fishing but where knee deep pockets are nice trout water, Steelhead holes start at waist deep.

I will second the rods suggested and add that a reel with a good drag that is set light is a big asset. Just let them run and "get on the reel" Don't hold the line or they will break you off. Maybe someone you know can lend you a rod and reel for your first trip. You won't regret going.

Good luck,

Shock

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information. I feel I have a lot of good suggestions to get started in the right directions. Since most of my trout fishing is with nymphs, I should be in pretty good shape with the techniques. I have a 9' 7 wt. rod that I use for Smallies on the river. I plan to use that rod for this trip. I will start getting a Steelhead Fly box put together.
Thanks again fellas!

Shock wrote:

My nymph rig is usually a 9 foot leader with a 3x florocarbon tippet and a sucker spawn as my top fly and an 18" piece of 3x florocarbon tied off of the bend and a stonefly at the end. Preferably a weighted stonefly nymph. I add weight above the Suckerspawn to get the flies to bounce or roll on the bottom. You want a dead drift.

Shock

Only 1 fly allowed in SR. Just an FYI.

I forgot about that. I don't believe NY allows lead sinkers either.

In NY, I usually fish the Catt. and stick to the Reservation water where, thankfully, you can use more than one fly.

Are dry-droppers allowed in NY state or is the one fly specifically for Steelhead and Salmon?

Shock

Shock,

I don't believe slinkies are allowed in the fly zones. The tribs don't allow dry dropper for lake run fish.

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know what a slinkie is in reference to fishing. I admit I am not always up on things.

Maybe I should have said lead split shot are not allowed in NY.

Just bringing it up for anyone head up your way so they are prepared with the non-toxic version because we are still allowed to use lead in PA, at least for now.

Thanks,

Shock

While we are on the subject of restrictions in NY, do they allow felt soled waders?

Felt soles are fine. 1 fly only. Don't worry about slinkies.

Check out my blog I had posted on this site for yarn eggs. A few techniques on there for a more sturdy egg.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=179

My favorite colors for steelhead are all salmon, egg with a salmon dot, blue with a pink dot, and blood red.

Try sucker spawn , estaz and crystal meth up there too. I do really well in Erie later in the season on basic nymphs on steelhead. Princes, Hares ears, pheasant tails.

Check out the events forum for a Steelhead JAM in Erie in the Fall. You'll have a bunch of seasoned guys up there to ask questions and have some hands on help.

Ryan

I have zero experience on the SR, and most of mine is in PA. But generally, getting a good dead drift is more important than it is with regular trout. And of course egg patterns are much more important, the go-to rather than the highly situational "junk" fly. But other than that, it really is a lot like regular trout fishing.

Target "active" fish if you can. It's hard to leave that pack of 20 that's sitting and so visible down deep in the slow spot. But there's a handful of more active fish that you didn't see in the current at the head and tail. They're the ones that will hit. Be willing to walk. Tribs are often really crowded, but if you walk a ways, you can find "less" crowded areas (meaning just normal crowded by other standards), and unmolested fish.

I agree on the switch colors part. It's amazing how commonly you fish for a while with nothing, change colors, and bam. Later, you change again, and bam. Peach and white are probably my overall best, but you never know. Have seen salmon, hot red, chartreuse, and even blue be the ticket!

We can give you hints on the fight. Don't hold your line, keep amount of slack to a minimum, and get it on the reel as quickly as possible. Side pressure. Follow the fish if he runs up or down. But your going to lose your first one. He's gonna take off soon after you set the hook, you won't be ready for the quickness and power, and he'll either throw it or snap you off. It's just the way it is.

What are the water temps like on the Salmon River at the end of October? Just wondering whether to plan to take a pair of neopreme waders to stay warm. Also, what is the stream bed like? Studded soles needed?

Water temps depend on weather. But by the end of october there going to be cold. Studs and cleats are a MUST! Let me repeat this if you do not have wader boots with cleats or studs you are going to be miserable. Not to mention there is a certain amount of danger involved. At the least have felt soles and never leave home without you're wading staff and belt. Im not trying to scare anyone but the Salmon River is one of the hardest rivers to wade in, the rocks are like ice and the currents are swift.

I have said this on here before but the most effective "fly" on the salmon river for steelhead and browns is (cough) beads. Im sorry here but fellas but they just flat out fish glo bugs are sucker spawns. It isn't true fly fishing but heck nothing you do up there is. Just ask the fellas in the tackle shops what the best method is they will tell you.

For egg patterns I would suggest checking the actual size of the egg not just going by hook size...some people tie larger/smaller eggs on different size hooks.
A 10mm egg is about the average, esp after the kings have spawned. You might be able to get away with 12mm for the early/fresh fish. If they get picky try going smaller to 8mm. As the season goes on the browns will spawn too and their eggs are smaller. At the end of Oct the king run should be past its peak and there will be tons of eggs in the water.
Trike23, uh oh the bead discussion...hope no one freaks out haha. I heard calling it the "Alaska rig" eases the convo a bit. I'm considering this year though, so sick of tying glo bugs which I can't hardly consider a fly either.

I often ditch the indicator/suspender and just tight line nymph. The steelies hold in some incredibly fast water and you need weight to get down. I'm not too good at this in typically trout water but with the extra weight on its easier to feel it tick the bottom/rocks. It seems like the fish hook themselves a lot but I get in the "zone" where the hook set might be a subconscious reaction.

Low light (sun up/down) is always a good bet. It can be worth it to stand in the dark for while to hold your spot. You have to wait as fishing in the dark is not permitted. Check the spots along the bank first as fish will hold there, especially with high flows.

Its a good idea to have a plan for when you hook a fish. The steelies are incredibly powerful. You're chances of yanking them up through strong currents are slim to none. If you can walk it out and get downstream of the fish it easier to land them in them below where hopefully there's some slower water.

I would definitely second the studded boot. I got away with it for a while but got stuck one day and Beeber had to save me in the middle of a fast run...my pride was somewhat tarnished (haha)

Being a newbie to this, I need some explanation. What do you mean when you say the most effective "fly" is a bead? What is the Alaska rig? Are you referring to a glo-bug tied with a bead head or is this a "fly" that consists of just a bead?

Back