same.”

Re: Favorite tandem/ threesome

From A-Town
1.) BH PT
2.) Midge of some sort
3.) BH Hares Ear

Everybody will have their personal preferences lol

Posted on: 2012/3/5 22:49
There is a war going on. The economy is crumbling. The environment is in jeopardy. Good innocent people are suffering all over the world. We had to do something. We had to get involved. But we decided to just go fishing.

From SE Pa
The biggest problem I have with a tandem is due to me tying the dropper from the hook's bend of the first, Because of this, I usually loose the fish that hits the upper fly whenever I also get a fish on the lower.

Thats my main problem. It's kept me up at night.

Seems the action of the second fish on the lower fly somehow assists the upper fish to get loose. Frustrating.

The second problem is that this usually only happens when I'm fishing for 'gills or redeye, etc. I don't have this problem with trout.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 11:58

Springer1,

Lose sleep no more over your delemma. When you hook a fish on your lead fly and the fish begin to fight your rear fly is getting stuck in his body giving him leverage to break you off when he curls his body. I've watched this happen several times to me especially on larger body trout.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 21:45

From SE Pa
Quote:
rear fly is getting stuck in his body giving him leverage to break you off when he curls his body. I've watched this happen several times to me especially on larger body trout.

ARRAUGH... ohh great, I'll sleep easier knowing it's usually the larger bodied fish that are prone to this. LOL

Posted on: 2012/3/11 11:04

Tried an experiment last weekend and instead of fishing a combination of nymphs I went with one fly but different sizes. In this case I went with a 10, 12 and 16 bhpt with the point being split shot. Let me explain, split shot on 6” of 7X (rather loose the shot) to a tippet ring then 12” to another ring and 16” another ring (damn I love these things). The flies were tied off with a 4”tag from each ring in order as stated above. Never brought a fish to hand on the size 10 and the 16 out fished the 12.

I began wondering if the success rate was because of the fish holding in a certain water column so I changed the positions of the flies moving the size 10 in place of the 16. Again over the next hour the 16 out fished the other two. So I’m not sure if a combination of flies is the answer but maybe size. It appears in this case that size does matter.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 20:48

From Pittsburgh, PA
Whiskey,
That's sound theory, but why on earth are you nymphing with 7x?

Posted on: 2012/3/16 22:09

The six inches of 7X is only for the split shot only so I don't loose the whole rig if I get hung up. The rest of the rig I used 4X between the tippet rings and 5X for the tags.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 10:47

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com