HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Favorite tandem/ threesome

From Bozeman
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I never fish 3 flies and never considered doing so.

This thread has not changed my mind, i hate when i lose 2 as is and catch plenty of fish on the double version.

And we're all here to learn. Except sal. He knows it all.

In an attempt to curb the loss of flies, I'll often use heavier tippets to my first few flies and lighter to the later ones. This prevents losing entire rigs. In any short line nymphing scenario, you are usually only a few feet from your flies, and can easily retrieve most snags. A hook file is crucial, and heavier tippet is preferred. Most snags are sticks or other debris, which comes up with the more direct pressure that you can exert from only a few feet away, which is one of the more useful things I've learned from this method.

When I have to add an indicator to fish a far off riffle, I'll occasionally ditch the first or last fly, as it is harder to retrieve far away snags.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 18:08

From lancaster county
I actually learned very much JayL. I just came to the conclusion i have no desire to do such a rig. Sorry if that bugged ya Even after this post and your remark.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 23:50

From lancaster county
I just realized.....if i know all then theres no reason to argue with me anymore

Posted on: 2009/6/12 6:37

From Johnstown, PA
This is probably gonna get me in trouble , but you asked for our "favorite" so here goes........a strung minnow for the end , redfin preferably , and two flies , tied in as droppers 15-20" up the leader.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 8:27

From Bozeman
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I actually learned very much JayL. I just came to the conclusion i have no desire to do such a rig. Sorry if that bugged ya Even after this post and your remark.

It didn't bug me at all. I was just messin around. I mean... I used a winking smiley!

Posted on: 2009/6/12 9:29

From Harrisburg PA
Using tungsten putty rather than split shot reduces lost flies. Often it is the weight, not the hook(s) than hang up. The putty pulls free of the leader and the flies are recovered. Replace the putty and continue fishing. With shot, the leader pulls through the shot to the fly below, continue to pull and the entire rig below the shot is lost.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 9:51

You know whats really fun when you are using a trip???
When you are working up along a river and you lose concentration for a minute and your backcast gets caught way up in a tree.
I use to use triple rigs on the Madison-when they were letting a lot of water out in the spring it could be to tough to wade.Fish would be up close to the bank anyway.I would get some awful tangles-lol
Still laugh at the memories.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 9:56

From Clearfield County
I tie my tandem rigs using palomar knots. I'll try to explain this the best I can. I usually fish a 2 fly rig but have had success with 3, just depends on what i'm seeing in the water. Top fly would be an emerger, next would a larger bead head nymph, bottom fly would be a small larva pattern. I tie the top fly on using a palomar knot, make sure the tag end is plenty long. At least a couple feet because I will be tying 2 more flies on this same piece. Keep the tag end of the first fly intact (do not snip it) Move about half way down it's length and tie in you second fly using another palomar knot. Keep the tag end intact and tie in your final fly however far you want it from your middle fly. I usually tie my final fly on with a loop knot.(surgeons loop, non slip loop, whatever you like best.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 1:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I used a 3 fly tandem for the first time this year. I always use 2 when nymphing. I'm kind of with Sal on this one. Yeah I can probably catch a few more fish with 3 flies, but I feel more comfortable with 2 right now, and usually snap off a few flies every trip.

My combo almost always consists of an attractor on top, either a #14 or #16 BH Prince or BHHE, both weighted with lead. I then tie on about a 2 foot section of tippet to the eye and swap out my bottom fly throughout the day. That fly ranges from a woolly bugger, another generic nymph, egg, SJW, green weenie, midge, or matching the hatch nymph. I usually use my initial setup for the first hour or so, adjusting weight, or indicator, then changing flies. By the time the day's over I have 6" of tippet between flies lol.

Ryan

Posted on: 2009/6/17 11:58

From Mechanicsburg
question? I was out last week and saw some tiny BWO's. I put on a BWO dry size 18 or 20. on the hook i added a caddis larva size 20. i could not get the larva down with out sinking the BWO Dry. what is the trick on getting the Larva down without sinking the dry. I did use gink and when that didn't work also tried the powder to keep it afloat. i also tried to put some xink on the larva and could not get it to sink without sinking the dry. yes, the fly did float when it was just the dry and larva but the larva took to long to sink.
I just wrote all this trying to give you an idea of what i tried with no success.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 9:58

From Berks County
Quote:

steve2u42 wrote:
question? I was out last week and saw some tiny BWO's. I put on a BWO dry size 18 or 20. on the hook i added a caddis larva size 20. i could not get the larva down with out sinking the BWO Dry. what is the trick on getting the Larva down without sinking the dry. I did use gink and when that didn't work also tried the powder to keep it afloat. i also tried to put some xink on the larva and could not get it to sink without sinking the dry. yes, the fly did float when it was just the dry and larva but the larva took to long to sink.
I just wrote all this trying to give you an idea of what i tried with no success.

It doesn't take a lot to sink a size 20 BWO, so it may not be your best choice to use as an indicator for a fly of the same size.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:01

From Philadelphia
I don't fish three, which seems to me like riding a bicycle in city traffic. But I do tie a dropper to the end of either a nymph or attractor. Hook-up is almost always the dropper.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:15

From Hershey

I almost always fish two flies, even dries. While nymphing I almost always have a walts worm for an anchor fly, then whatever I think may be effective for the conditions tied off the bend.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 9:33

From Southwest, Pa
I taper down with tippet as Jay mentioned and have started tying through the eye instead of off the bend...

favorite tandem: Caddis emerger on top, no antron or tail----caddis pupae----caddis larvae

Posted on: 2012/2/28 22:31

-Art Lee

From Cato, NY
Here is an example of my rig I have been using and tinkering with for some time.

3 feet 20lb maxima or Stren
blood knotted to 15lb Red Amnesia (12")
blood knotted to 8 lb gold stren (12 ")
tippet ring - 2 feet 4X flurocarbon
surgeons knot 2 to 3 feet of 5X flurocarbon

I tie a heavier anchor fly at the point - midge larva or something small and light here off the hook bend of point fly

At my surgeons knot above the point fly, I leave a 5 to 6 inch tag and tie on a softhackle or emerger type fly or even an egg would be good here.

The tippet can be adjusted for length depending on the water level but 4 to 6 feet seems to be appropriate in most situations in PA and NY.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 11:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com