Favorite knots for tying tippets to leaders using .....

L

Lonewolve

what are your favorite knot to use for tying flourocarbon tippet to monofilament leader, an then florocarbon tippet to your fly?

what is your favorte monofilament tippet to mono leader knot, and then your mono knot to fly?
just curious, was debating with a few friends at Salmon Camp a few weeks back. I wondering what everyone else prefers.

Triple surgeon's is what I use to tie my mono to carbon, and then I use a clinch knot to my fly. I don't know if they are the correct knots to use, bit I have never had a problem.

Becker,
Improved clinch or regular? also how many turns do you prefer on a clinch?

Regular clinch and I never really count how many times I spin it. Probably around 8-10 times though.

Triple surgeons for leader to tippet and regular clinch 5-8 turns for most FW and a loop knot for SW. Gotta say I never use fluro.

blood knots for leader to tippet regardless of type, loop knot for streamers, clinch for flies up to size 14, figure 8 knot for flies smaller than that

Blood knots for all leader/tippet knots. At larger sizes, when diameter difference is larger, I do 4 turns of the bigger around the small, and 6 turns for the smaller around the large. At smaller diameters, I don't really count, it's probably around 6 turns for each.

Sometimes, if in a hurry, or my hands are cold, for tippet knots only I just do a double clinch. Each line clinched to the other. Comes out looking a lot like a blood knot, and it's much quicker and easier for me to do streamside cause you can twist instead of wrap. Technically it's not quite as strong as a blood knot, but strong enough to get the job done. I do avoid this with steelhead.

For knots to the fly, a regular (unimproved) clinch knot.

Triple surgeon for leader to tippet. Improved clinch with 5 wraps for the fly. I'm usually using between 4x and 7x. You can use standard clinch with more twists with most tippet but I feel the improved clinch holds tighter and stronger with 6 and 7x.

Tulen, everbody,
what about when fishing for Saltwater or Great Lakes species?I have my favorites..but for salmon/ steelhead i have yet to be satisfied with the knots i have been using.

I use the same for G.L., have not had a knot fail. I have never fished the salt with a fly rod. I do use the same exact knots for my spinning salt excursions though. I want to know what the argument was that brought this up. Who was saying what?

double uni-knot for end to end connection, then clinch knot to the fly.

For salt I'm using a home made leader with loop-loop on my leader/tippet and loop knot for all flies

For salmon and steelhead I use a barrel swivel between my mono leader and flouro tippet. Knots to the swivel are either clinch (5 turns, not improved) or Palomar. I use the same two knots on the terminal end for these large salmonids. For regular trout substitute a tippet ring for the swivel and I often use a simple Orvis knot.

Becker,
My buddies an I have noticed that when we used flouro tied to flies that sometimes there was knot failure. I do know how to tie a good many knots an tie them very well spit on em ect.
I love Maxima Chameleon and Utragreen as well as Amnesia in butt sections. I also like ultragreen an Chameleon for tippets too.
I also really like Drennan too, not easy to find. All Seasons Sports is the only place up there that carries it.
I am a big proponent of flouro for nymphs,streamers,softhackles and wets. I use Seagaur Grandmax for that.
In Saltwater its regular Seaguar hands down, if i run out Maxima works great too.
But for Salmon Steelhead i have lost faith in Seaguar Grandmax.. it is very brittle an does not have the breaking strength that maxima does along with the abrasion resistance.
May be the reason that Maxima is the single largest line sold on the Lakes.
Anyhow Becker we were discussing this while drinking some ice cold Troegs Troeganators ,and the subject came up.We have each noticed trouble with flourocarbon. We have fished the great lakes for long time together. Sometimes we like to try new things like flouro and IMHO ill take Maxima or Drennan over flouro for Salmon an Steelhead .

Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOAa65GnFE&list=UU4vswOaYRBGNBRwJeS-lk4w&index=1&feature=plcp

Beadhead,
I use the Tie fast tool for my nail knots, but I also do the nail knot also using a quilter's needle as well .I have no trouble with nail knot failure, i also use blood knots an surgeon's knots too for tippet to leader attachment,no failures there either. But I have had a few too many failures using Flouro to attach to flies.
I have used uni ,trilene,and non slip mono loop knots for streamers an wets as well as nymphs.I use the clinh and improved clinch.IMHO flouro must like a certain knot better than other knots, I am just trying to figure out which knot that might be is all.

Thanks for the youtube video also, although that guy needs to use amnesia and a better background ,eyes were gettin messed up .

Lonewolf
Just showing different knots ,I leave it up to the person ,what ever works for them

Thank you beadhead for the contribution same for everybody. still trying to figure out knot failure at the fly with flouro

It could be the leader material which migh be old and brittle. Tie a simple overhand knot in the leader and pull. If it breaks the materal is bad. Even whats sold as new may not be so it pays to check it. Some times there is a rough spot on the hooks eye that will cause leader failure. Also any abrasions on the leader itself may cause failure. GG

Surgeons knot for leader to tippet, and improved clinch knot for the fly.
I've never had any bloodknot hold any leader or tippet together.

Back