Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Favorite dry style and why?

I used to think the "high vis" stuff would be a turn off for the fish- but the fish have thankfully proved otherwise.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 11:21

From Bozeman
CDC comparaduns, CDC and elk, ant plain old comparaduns cover all mayflies.

CDC and elk for caddis.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 11:24

From Pittsburgh
I use mostly thorax style mayflies. Because they work, float well, and are durable. I do tie some parachute and comparadun flies also.
For caddis and stoneflies, I use a fluttering caddis style of fly. Same reason as for mayflies
I use deer hair (crowe) beetles, and ants. I still like the look of these over ones tied with foam - and also that little plop when they land in the water.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 12:26

From Pittsburgh
I like the hair wings because the seem to float better.

Primarily I use comparaduns. I feel they represent whatever the trout is looking for. If they are taking adults, it has the upright wings and full tail. If they are taking emergers or cripples, it is riding flush in the water.
I would try a parachute next, followed by a hackled dry.

For caddis...elk hair, haystacks, and the like...some with hackle, but typically without. I have cdc, but rarely turn to them.

Midges...like Pat...dubbing with down wings. Sometimes hackle.

Akid...even with my small bwos, I tie a few comparas with light color deer hair to help me follow the drift. While not as technically correct for a "blue wing", it still works...

Posted on: 2010/12/6 13:57

From Johnstown, PA
I like Catskill style dry flies , not cause they work any better than the rest , I just like to tie them , also like the fluttering style caddis but i use 2 hackles in mine 'cause they seem to float longer and better. I also tie a foam ant in black and cinnamon , simple but deadly.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 12:46

From Solanco, PA
im not a cdc fan. idk why, i think prolly cuz the first time i tried to use it i got a bad batch of cdc or somthing. idk it didnt float ill put it that way. however i am a big fan of elk hair so for most of all my mayfly patterns its a wulff with the wings tied in elk hair rather than calf hair. exept for sulfurs in wich i tie a catskill with mallard flank wings, or a sulphur variation of the quigley cripple wich works REALLY well btw. for caddis and grannoms, plain ol' elk hair caddis or a never sink caddis.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 18:03

From Pittsburgh
im with gfen and osprey. I love the Catskill style dryflies. They are elegant, sit up high on the water, and I just like to tie them.

I never fell in love with the parachute. I feel they are more trouble to tie than they are worth IMO.

For caddis, like i'v said before, the coastal deer hair/ dubbing body. So simple and so effective.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 0:16

From Johnstown, PA
I bought some coastal deer hair from Clousers years ago and still use it in some caddis ties , it grabs a big bubble of air and floats a long time. gfen.......if you can tie a hair wing fly you CAN tie a catskill style bunched wing , wood duck or mallard flank , same thing. It's the waste or what you think is waste that bugs you isn't it?

Posted on: 2011/3/15 9:27

From SEPA

Yeah, I can pull off rolled wings, but not the pretty little hackle tip jobs.

Still don't bother much. ;)

Posted on: 2011/3/15 13:29

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
Fluttering Caddis, I use them like a regular dry or skid them across the water. I only use mink tail guard hairs for the wings, you can use hackle fibers but they don't work as well. Just because it's called a caddis dosn't mean you can't use it to imitate other flys if you tie them in the right size and color. The one in the picture below I tied to imitate the stoneflys that fly around my liveing room on summer evenings.

I've been useing them for years and don't understand how they've been overlooked, I don't know anyone that uses them. Give them a try.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_6953.JPG (614.70 KB)
4342_4d896963e4923.jpg 1728X1152 px

Posted on: 2011/3/22 23:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com