Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Favorite Tandem Rigs

From A-Town
Thought this would be a quick fun discussion. Whats everybody's favorite tandem set-up?

Posted on: 2011/3/14 21:28

Re: Favorite Tandem Rigs

From Eastern PA
Patriot / weenie = heavy trout.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 23:04

I like to use a prince off my blood knot, a BHFB hares-ear under that with a green caddis pupa off a cinch knot from that. I feel it covers a lot varients. Usually only one of them prove to be effective and then I switch all 3 to that particular one.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 7:29

From Lewistown
Caddis Pupa, mayfly imitation (usually a PT), and a midge larva.

The three main food sources in different sizes and colors.

Sometimes I sub the midge larva for a more representative mayfly nymph pattern. Or, depending on the water, a scud or cressbug.

If fishing a dry dropper: some parachute mayfly and a PT or midge larva off the bend.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 8:58

From Lewistown
When I'm only running tandem nymphs, it's usually a BH Stonefly nymph on the bottom and a pheasant tail or hare's ear on top. Usually size 16 or 14 and the stonefly is a 14 or 12...

When I run three nymphs (usually in water that's 4 ft. or deeper) I do a Stonefly nymph on bottom, hare's ear in middle and pheasant tail on top...

Posted on: 2011/3/15 9:27

From Toona
I normally fish a heavily weighted nymph tied directly to the tippet. I then use 1 or 2 droppers tied of the hook bends. Normally the first fly is something flasy like a Weenie, big Stonefly, or any general attractor. The second fly is usually some type of Caddis Larva or Pupa. The third fly is usually a small size 18-24 Midge or Mayfly imitation. It usually covers the most important food sources, and can be changed to cover different conditions or hatches. During hatches I like Parachutes or Elk and CDC Dries with something tied of the bend as a dropper. If fish are feeding in the surface film I'll put an emerger on, and if they're feeding farther down the water column I'll use a nymph. One of my favorite ways to fish a Midge hatch is with a Parachute Midge, an Emerging Midge, and a Zebra Midge on the bottom. Sometimes it can be hard to cast, but when conditions are right it can be deadly. Lately, I've been experimenting with tandem Streamers and swinging Flies. I caught a few over the weekend using a sink tip and a few smaller Intruder style Spey flies. Nothing beats the take of a big fish hitting your flies on the swing.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 10:34

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It varies. But I'd say my most common "tandem" rig is a dry-dropper. If you're counting only tandem nymphs or wets, then I often have an "anchor" fly, which is pretty much a ridiculously weighted Walt's Worm, with a more common nymph (hare's ear, PT, etc.) on a dropper above that.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 11:39

From SEPA
Parachute adams and pheasant tail

Posted on: 2011/3/15 13:24

From Pittsburgh, PA
The biggest trout I've ever caught was a 25 1/2 inch Brown from the Yough. I had the skunk on all day and was really starting to get PO'ed. I literally tried everything in my box except a foam beetle and a green weenie.

I put the two together in tandem and...well the rest is history

Typically I will fish a #16PT and a #14HE in tandem if only nymphing.

Adams and PT (non bead head) if Dry/Dropper

Posted on: 2011/3/15 16:56

For faster waters i have had great success with a wolly bugger on top and a BH Stone or prince on the bottom. For everything else usually a hares ear, or PT 14-16 on top and caddis pupa/larva on the bottom 16-18.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 1:44

From SEPA

The "hopper" will be a Royal Wulff or a Usual. If there's nothing in teh air, the Usual will have a cream wing.

The dropper varies, but always tied to the bend. Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear or some type of soft hackled wet. If I'm really feeling creative, there may be a size 20 Al's Rat between them.

I've been doing alot of sub surface stuff, lately. Using dropper loops, there'll be an a soft hackled wet (olive flymph, pennell, partridge-peacock, etc), a winged wet (royal coachman, coachman) and then a hare's ear or pheasant tail for the bottom. I've been goig across and down or down and across.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 13:40

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I've been doing alot of sub surface stuff, lately.

Well, well, well.........

Posted on: 2011/3/16 16:13

From SEPA

A team of three wet flies, classically presented. That is why I wanted that Streamflex initially.

Turns out, the Teeny does it all.

Also, it hasn't exactly been proper dry fly time of year.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 16:21

From Valley Forge, Pa
It depends season for me. In winter is a BH Hares-Ear and a midge off the bend. In spring I fish a dry and dropper, usually trying to match whats around. Late summer I move to hopper or beetle and caddis or PT.
I switch a lot. I usually stay away from the three fly rigs as they get tanlged a lot and can be a big mess everytme I catch a trout.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 20:23

From State College PA
what tuna wrote. Exactly, expect I like to substitute the caddis larvae for a softhackle certain times of the day and season

Posted on: 2011/3/16 20:55

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com