From Glenmoore PA
Gary, welcome to the darkside. You will make a fine nymph fisherman one day

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:27

Re: Favorite Tandem Rigs

From SEPA
Quote:

surveyor06 wrote:
Gary, welcome to the darkside. You will make a fine nymph fisherman one day

Thankfully, there ample fish on top last night and I didn't need to resort to jig fishing.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:47

I'm relatively new to fly fishing and am fortunate to have a friend who is an excellent fly fisherman who I go out with pretty regularly. He wants me to set up tandem rigs, but I feel like as I'm learning to cast well it's better for me to just stick with a single fly. Do you guys think that makes sense or should I man up and learn on tandems? My reasoning is that there's more chance for everything getting tangled up and I'd rather spend more time with one fly in the water than two jumbled up in a knot. He was using a patriot dry and, I think, a PT on the bottom last time we went and I did like that setup rather than using an indicator.

We've been fishing small streams north of Pittsburgh mostly if that's important for your answer.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 12:48

From Glenmoore PA
It really depends on what your doing. If your high sticking, a tandem setup shouldnt be too bad since your not really casting, but more lobbing. If your fishing a dry with a dropper your going to be casting a little more and your going to have to cast a tighter loop. If you start casting with a tailing loop, which alot of new guys (and seasoned guys) do, you could have a mess on your hands. Nothing wrong with a single fly though. Get proficient with that, than move up. Just my two cents

Posted on: 2011/3/19 16:19

From Lehigh River
For faster water on the Lehigh I like a wolly bugger on top and a Maddie wet on the bottom.. Sometimes a double Maddie wet top and Bottom..

Posted on: 2011/3/23 18:52

From lancaster county
PT/Hares Ear/ Copper John/Cress Bug---------------Scud

Posted on: 2011/3/24 14:18

From Fayette Co, Pa
With nymphs at this time of the year I like a BH char trout bug as my top fly and a FB tan scud as my bottom fly. Come summer I switch up to a mayfly nymph on top and a flymph bottom fly. It all really depends on time year and water conditions but I would say those are my main two combinations. I try to stay away from BH nymphs as much as possible, but sometimes the option isn't there.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 1:10

From Fayette Co, Pa
With nymphs at this time of the year I like a BH char trout bug as my top fly and a FB tan scud as my bottom fly. Come summer I switch up to a mayfly nymph on top and a flymph bottom fly. It all really depends on time year and water conditions but I would say those are my main two combinations. I try to stay away from BH nymphs as much as possible, but sometimes the option isn't there.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 1:10

From St.Clair
PT on top
Copper John on bottom
If I'm fishing a third fly, its a micro mayfly nymph or a midge

Posted on: 2011/3/26 2:57

From Southwest, Pa
partial to the elk hair----caddis pupae----caddis larvae
or............dry bwo---shop-vac----- bhpt

Have fished any nymph down to an unweighted bugger w. success as well.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 22:46

-Art Lee

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
size 10 olive Stimulator with 18-36" of 5x tippet and a size 14 Pheasant Tail nymph tied off the bend, unless I'm on a stream with a heavy caddis population, in which case the PT is replaced with either a size 14 Czech Nymph, Crunchy Caddis or, most often, a size 14 Hare's Ear Soft Hackle. Best searching rig I've ever found.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 14:23

From Perkiomenville
My go to rig has been a heavily weighted Walts Worm with an Al's Rat tied off the bend.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 18:37

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com