Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Euro vs. Drop Shot Nymphing

From Mechanicsburg
Galloup's claim is not correct as fish can see below that 6" area, due to reflection at the surface.

In the Ring of the Rise has some good info on trout vision that will change the way you fish.

Posted on: 10/19 22:24

A lot of interesting ideas. Here are a few things I can add.

If using 3X or 4X you can use small nymphs if you tie them on with a loop knot. I fish in Reno NV and all the locals use tiny nymphs when appropriate, but use 3X or 4X in case they get a big old brown on - however, with heavier tippets they tie the nymph on with a loop knot. One year the fly fishing industry show was in Reno and the pros who were there laughed at the local use of heavy tippets, until the locals outfished the visitors on their home water. Home field advantage helps, but heavy tippets with loop knots works here as well.

The roll on the bottom or up to mid level depends on the fish - there are no hard fast rules. I watch fish a lot and often the fish rise somewhat above the bottom when they are feeding heavy and it makes sense to put the fly above the bottom, even to mid level. Sometimes they are grubbing stuff off the bottom. Rainbows especially like to grub things off the bottom and sometimes have rubbed noses. I once asked the late Al Miller about the best level to fish an Al's Rat and he said at the level the fish are feeding. Trout can see top to bottom IMHO - the question is where are they looking.

Posted on: 10/31 9:18

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

SteveG wrote:
Galloup's claim is not correct as fish can see below that 6" area, due to reflection at the surface.

In the Ring of the Rise has some good info on trout vision that will change the way you fish.

What about broken moving water? Or cloudy water conditions? Or fish holding very deep?

I suppose under ideal conditions a fish could use the surface reflection to find food drifting below it. I'm not sure how often this actually happens. More likely, a fish just sees the fly/food from far enough away and can react to change it's depth as needed to intercept food.

I think the real point to suspending your flies 6" (or whatever depth) above the bottom is to make them appear as easily noticed, easily captured meals, o to imitate struggling, emerging insects.

Posted on: 11/1 13:20

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com