Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Easier way to tie a blood knot

From Greensburg, PA
those are great for sitting in your living room and tying leaders but how worthy are they for on stream use?

Posted on: 2009/6/10 10:57

From Schwenksville
Tom,
I would say not very worthy on the stream but that's when the surgeons knot comes in handy. Since it's usually only the last few sections that would need rebuilt, the surgeons knot should be sufficient.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 8:23

Double surgeons... easy and simple

Posted on: 2009/6/15 13:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I tie my line to line (not fly line, just all leader knots) connections in about 20 seconds. I call them blood knots, but they aren't technically blood knots, I don't know if they have a name.

I just do a double clinch knot. Make a loop in one line and treat that loop like the eye of a hook, tie a clinch knot with the other line. Tighten it and tie a clinch knot with the other line. You can make them improved clinch knots if you want, but I never found a need for that.

I also don't wrap the tag end around the line with my clinch knots. I hold the tag against the line with some tag left, and just twist the fly or other line. With my "blood" knot you're usually actually twisting both at once. After finishing run it through a leader straightener and the twist is gone.

Thats just how I learned and my dad called them blood knots, now I know they're close but not exact. Almost never do one of my knots break, always the line....

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:13

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I just do a double clinch knot. Make a loop in one line and treat that loop like the eye of a hook, tie a clinch knot with the other line. Tighten it and tie a clinch knot with the other line. You can make them improved clinch knots if you want, but I never found a need for that.

I used to do that when I was learning the blood knot about 20 years ago...I rarely had a break off but I got tired of my friends dad saying, "you're tying that wrong"...Now I can tie a blood knot in about 30 seconds if I can see and a double surgeons in the dark like I did on Saturday night.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com